Chapter 10

My Helpline

The next morning Jungkook is awoken by a loud blasting sound. He opens his eyes immediately and turns around in his bed, staring at the man in his room in confusion and fear.

His father is standing at the door, his face blank. Jungkook's eyes scan the man from head to toe, his breath almost hitching when his gaze lands on the gun in his hand and the first thought coming to his head is 'Did I get shot?'

"Get up" Mr.Jeon orders.

Jungkook immediately pulls himself out of bed "What are you-"
  "Get dressed" the man says, turning around to walk out of the room "I want you down stairs in five minutes max-" he glances at Jungkook in warning "-or else"

The moment he leaves, Jungkook starts looking around for clothes. He stops in his tracks upon noticing something, a bullet hole in his wall, right above his bed frame. 

He shakes off any thoughts and picks out the cleaner clothes before putting them on.

Jungkook marches down the stairs hesitantly. Half of him is convinced he might die if he walks into the kitchen, but the other is curious.

"Jungkook get the down here" he hears and pauses. 

When was the last time his father called him 'Jungkook'? All he heard for the past three years was 'brat' 'bastard' 'idiot' 'kid' and so on, it's just odd and painful hearing it.
Before he gets in anymore trouble, the boy jogs down the hallway and into the kitchen, staring at the man and waiting in silence.

The man turns around "here" he passes Jungkook something, its heavy for such small size, and when Jungkook looks down at it he feels even more confused.
He gave him a gun.

"It's not loaded so don't ing try anything or you'll regret it"

Jungkook looks up at him "What do I need this for?"
The man gives Jungkook a cocky look "It's a gun kid, figure it out yourself" he says, grabbing his own rifle and sticking it in his belt "Now out and into the car"
Jungkook is unsure, but he follows the orders anyway.

-----

Taehyung stares at the double glass door of the big white building. He hasn't been to this place for two years, and he hasn't spoken to anyone except Namjoon. And he never had plans to do so.
'But this is for Jungkook's sake' he thinks to himself, finally pushing the door open and walking in.

He glances at the familiar bleach-blonde sitting at the office, the woman looks up with a smile that fades the moment she meets eyes with the younger "M-mr.Kim?!"

"Taehyung" he corrects.
"What are-?" She pauses "It's...It's nice seeing you. What can I help you with?"

Taehyung his lips, hesitating "I want to speak with your boss, as soon as possible"

She nods "Yes, just a minute" she still looks shocked, her eyebrows twisted in confusion. 
She picks up the black phone and presses a few buttons, bringing it up to her ear and waiting for a few seconds.
 "Mr.choi, there's someone here wanting to speak to you" she pauses for a moment before continuing, "Kim Taehyung" 

After a  it of silence, the lady puts the phone down and looks up at Taehyung "You may go to his office now"
Taehyung nods "Thank you"

Taehyung walks towards the door leading through the main room which he has to walk through to get to the office.

If he had to, Taehyung could name every single person sitting at each desk, his old coworkers. 

With a sigh, he opens the doors and walks in, closing it behind him. He starts walking, each step further in catches people's attention. By the time he's halfway through, the whole room is silent.
He can see Namjoon staring at him in complete shock, mouthing something that looks like 'what? Why are you here?!'

Taehyung stops infront of the door, he doesn't even have time to knock when he hears a "Come in" 
And so he does. 

Seeing the man who used to be like a father too him -and still is- after two years of not showing up makes him feel shame. He feels as if he betrayed them.

"Taehyung..." The man says "I did not expect such a visit, take a seat. How have you been?"

Taehyung sits down on the chair, looking around the room, nothing changed. He looks at the desk in front of him to see a picture, the picture he clearly remembers being taken of him with his crew after another achieved mission... a day before the shooting.

He looks down at his hands "Good, thank you. You?" 

The man nods "That's a relief, I've been doing well, but it would be better if you kept in contact" he sighs "Now, I know well that you wouldn't come without a reason, so what brings you here?"

Taehyung looks up at the man "I apologise, I know a 'sorry' won't do anything about the two years but..." He trails off.

He hears the older chuckle "No need to apologise, you had reasons. Now really, Taehyung you haven't come here to just apologise, am I right?"

The younger is taken back by how easy it was, he still feels awful for it, but he couldn't find it in himself to come back. Taehyung is glad the man isn't angry.

He shakes the thoughts away, focusing on his mission.

"Yes. A while back I received a phone call" he sees Choi nod.
 "It was from a younger boy, he intended on calling a suicide helpline but got the numbers mixed up... I kept in contact with him to make sure he doesn't hurt himself"

"Are you still in contact?"

Taehyung nods "I spoke to him last night. In fact I met him in person once, but he wasn't aware it was me"

"Have you contacted his parents, or found out what his situation is?"

"It could be abuse, I'm almost convinced..."

The man turns more serious "Do you know the age of the boy?"

Taehyung nods again "He's nineteen, but he's still a student"
  "Are you sure he still lives with his parents? He's of legal age and should be able to move out"

"Now....there's the problem, his father won't allow that"

"Id like you to give me the boys number to contact him"

Taehyung immediately reacts "That's not a good idea"
  "Then what would you want us to do?"

"Sir.." He starts "I know it's much, but I want to ask for legal permission to lead this case myself"

The man sits back in the chair with a sigh, staring at Taehyung "That's honestly the last thing I'd expect you to ask for, but wouldn't it be easier if we get the boys IP, track him down and get him out of the house?"

Taehyung shakes his head "That would make matters worse"

  "And why do you think so, whats your plan?"

  "I want to keep in contact with him and get him to agree to meet. It'll take time, but going to his place is a bad idea"

Choi gives Taehyung a confused look "But I really don't understand your decision, the parent's won't be able to do anything when a group of police men come and rescue the kid, why take the long way?"
  The younger hesitates "His father could be a threat, I can't predict what he'd do in such situation and taking risks is not a good idea"

"You have to give me full details to get the permission, Taehyung, you know how it works here, you're making no sense, how big of a threat could one man possibly be?"

Taehyung stays silent for a good minute or two, he never thought he'd be in this situation. But he has to save Jungkook. The older man waits patiently for an answer.

"The boy... His name is Jeon Jungkook"

He watches as the Choi's expression falls into the unknown, but when he doesn't speak, Taehyung continues "The son of Jeon Kangdae, the same man from two years ago"

It's quiet for a while.

"Taehyung I thought you clearly said-"
  "I know sir, and yes I quit the job because I didn't want to get involved with that man after what happened-"

"And what changed your mind?"

Taehyung takes a moment to think over his words "Jungkook did..." He starts "I can't just leave him with that bastard there, his life is on line 24/7 and I can't sleep at night knowing he could get hurt at any moment. Please, I have to get him out of there..."

"And you expect me to let you do that by yourself?"

Taehyung stares at the older, dead serious "I will not make the same mistake from two years ago, all I want is permission to a weapon and information"

"I can't let you risk you life like that-"
  "If you dont let me, then Jungkook could die instead of me, there's no win for you here"

The older sighs "Wouldn't you at least want Namjoon to help-"
  "With research; yes, nothing more, his is staying in the office"

"Taehyung I'll warn you, just like I did two years ago, this is dangerous, and you could regret it"

  "I'll regret it if Jungkook dies because I'm too afraid to take the job up"

The man nods slowly before opening a drawer, grabbing something before standing up and stretching his hand out to Taehyung. 

A badge in his hand with Taehyung's name on it, something Taehyung didn't think he'll see again.
"Welcome back to the team, your starting today, Mr.Kim"

Taehyung gives a small smile "Good to be back, boss"

-----

"now load it"

Jungkook chews on his lip, loading the gun in his hand. He's not afraid of shooting, what he's scared of is that his father is standing right beside him with another, loaded weapon. Its unsettling.

"I...do I really need to learn this?" He mumbles, keeping his eyes on the now loaded gun"

"Do what I ing tell you to do" his father growls "Now lift it up and aim it at the bottles, try and hit at least 5 of ten"

Jungkook takes in a breath, bringing the weapon up. For the shortest moment he really thinks of pointing it at himself and just pulling the trigger. But when the sound of Taehyung's voice echos in his mind, the thought disappears almost immediately.

He puts his finger on the trigger and aims at the first empty soju bottle.
And he fires, making the bottle shatter. He moves on to the next one, once again hitting the bottle. 

Jungkook carries on till the end, and to his surprise manages to miss just one.

"Well well, maybe you're useful for something after all" the man pats his back and Jungkook can't help but winch away from the touch.

"Now with twenty bottles, up until you hit all without missing"

Jungkook finds the courage to look at the man "Why do I need to do this?"

"Because you're Jeon Jungkook"