Chapter 27.

My Helpline

The moment Taehyung comes to consciousness he feels a strog headache hit him. For a moment he was convinced someone knocked him out with a baseball bat but he quickly remembered that's not what happened. Upon realizing that he might have drank a few shots too many, his eyes shoot wide open and ignoring the headache, he sits up.

Looking around, Taehyung notices he's in his room, which he'd normally be glad for, but now he's worried about how he got there. 

Taehyung hears raindrops hitting against the window and he tries to think back and remember what happened because wasn't it raining yesterday too? But the only thing that comes to his mind is Jungkook wrapping his arms around him and the warmth he felt all of a sudden. Rest is a blur and he's afraid of it. He's about to get off the bed when there's a knock on his door.
Taehyung manages a low 'yea?' And the pain and gruffness of his voice takes him by surprise.

The doors slowly open and Jungkook walks in, looking worried and tired, yet he gives a small shy smile "How are you feeling?" He asks.

Taehyung stays silent for a moment, simply scanning Jungkook's face for any sign that Taehyung might have done something he'd regret. But there's nothing, Jungkook shows no awkwardness or anger or anything that would indicate Taehyung done something wrong. He shakes himself out of his toughts "I'm fine" he mumbles.

Jungkook just nods, hesitantly taking a step forward and walking up to Taehyung with a glass of water, and what seems like painkillers. He hands the two items to Taehyung. "Take the pills and drink the full glass of water, then please rest" he says, avoiding eye contact.

It looks like the younger wants to say something more, as if something is bugging him because he stays standing beside Taehyung's bed for a moment longer. But he finally lets it go, turning around and starting to leave.

"Thank you" Taehyung says, ignoring the stinging in his throat, he's shouldn't speak as loud as he just did because , the pain is awful.

Jungkook just gives a small "Mhm" and keeps walking.

"Jungkook" Taehyung calls out again, this time raising his voice on purpose because Jungkook doesn't seem okay and if it's Taehyung's fault, he might as well deserve the pain.

The younger turns around in question "Yeah?"

Taehyung's gaze waivers from Jungkook, to the side, and back, afraid of what he'll find out "What did I do yesterday, exactly?"

"You..." Jungkook turns his whole body to face the bed again. He doesn't want to lie to Taehyung, but what the older told him seems like something he wouldn't want Jungkook to know.
"I don't know, you came back late so-"

"What did I do when I got home?"

Jungkook knows Taehyung can see right trough him, because 'the older is way smarter and slyer than anyone would expect'. It's what he has learned over the last month. But he is worried of his reaction.

"You came back wasted, started talking bout some random things and then I finally forced you to go to sleep. That's it." He puts it simply, it's not lying, he's just not telling the whole story. But Taehyung doesn't look convinced at all. One thing he remembers is when Jungkook hugged him, and it wasn't a friendly or joking hug, it was a comforting one, and Taehyung won't let it go until he hears what happened.

"What random things, please Jungkook, what exactly did I tell you?"

Jungkook freezes, how is he supposed to answer? "I don't know I didn't-"

"Jungkook" Taehyung raises his voice and the low tone of it plus how hoarse it sounds makes Jungkook shut up. 
The older is serious about this.
"Did I...I don't know, get pissed? Shout? Did I do anything to you?" Taehyung questions, sounding genuinely scared.

Jungkook shakes his head "No no! You did nothing wrong" he explains. Jungkook's gaze meets with Taehyung's and he seriously isn't able to lie. He can't. How is he supposed to pretend Taehyung is okay when he knows he isn't.

Jungkook sighs, opening his mouth to speak but he can't find the right words "You-.." He stutters, looking away "You stumbled into the house... I thought it was one of my father's people so I got the gun and pointed it at you.... You told me to shoot you" he mumbles. Taehyung stares at him, knowing that's not what Jungkook has had bugging him.

Jungkook makes eye contact, staring at Taehyung in pain "You started talking about your father" 
He watches Taehyung's expression fall to something unreadable. The older is the first one to break eye contact.

"Tae why didn't you tell me?"

Taehyung stays silent, staring into nothing, fidgeting with the glass in his hand.

"Taehyung" Jungkook calls out again, stepping closer.

Taehyung shakes his head "What was I supposed to tell you?" He half laughs, his strained voice shaking.

Jungkook gives him a look of disbelief "That you aren't okay? That you have a problem? I don't know, that you also need someone sometimes!?"

"And that I'm a murderer and ed in the head? Is that what you wanted to hear?!"

"Yes!" Jungkook exclaims "That's exactly what I wanted to hear! I wanted to hear about your problems because you always make it all about me and never even look at yourself!" He doesn't take his eyes of Taehyung even for a moment.

"I make it about you because you can still be helped! I can't and I don't want this to happen to you"

Jungkook furrows his brows "Yes you can be helped, if you actually tell someone about it and let yourself be helped"

Taehyung sighs "You already know, I've done I regret, things I won't forget... There's nothing else to it. Anyways, this isn't about me-"

"Let me make it about you" Jungkook says, walking up to the bed and sitting on it beside Taehyung, looking at the older "For once stop acting like you're perfectly fine, please"

 

Not long after, they find themselves sitting in complete silence on the small sofa beside the balcony door, staring at the rain and grey sky with hot cups of tea in their hands. Jungkook doesn't want to push Taehyung, but the older isn't sure how to start.

"How much did I really tell you?" Taehyung asks, breaking the silence.

Jungkook keeps staring at the raindrops, warming his hands with the hot cup "You told me what you were forced to do..." He mumbles "And about your mother" his voice falls, worried he'll somehow hurt Taehyung. But the older gives a slight nod.

"Your father worked for mine" Taehyung starts  I first met him when I was twelve... Just something you should probably know. My father wanted me to work on his place when I grew up" He says "But because he died before I was old enough to take his place, your father went in charge"

Jungkook listens, not really sure if he should say anything.

"My father killed my mother so I killed him" he mumbles "Messed up logic, I know" he takes a glance at Jungkook but the boy just keeps staring out the door, he knows Jungkook is listening though, it shows trough his expression.

"I hated him so much it's undescribable yet there was still awful regret for my actions, but before I could end my own life Choi interfered, he was still just an officer, and even when he found out about what I did, he gave me a chance at life" he trails off. "I killed so many people that I just don't deserve to live"

Jungkook looks at him "But it wasn't your choice, you did it to protect your mother, anyone would do the same"

Taehyung stares down at his tea "She still died in the end"

"You did what you could" Jungkook says. "Why didn't you tell anyone?"

"Why?" Taehyung whispers, holding his gaze down "Because anyone who found out, left in the end in fear of me, so I just learned to smile and keep going, even if I feel like , I don't show how I feel because I don't want to explain myself, I wouldn't know how to explain it" he says "I don't expect you to stay either, I'm not forcing you to stay here and you've every reason to take your money and move out as far away as possible"

Jungkook watches as Taehyung puts his cup down on the coffee table, about to stand up. He places his own cup down instantly, quickly grabbing Taehyung's wrist "You may see every reason but I see none, and you're crazy if you think I'll leave you"

Taehyung looks back at him. It's the first time Jungkook see's such a serious expression on him.

"It would be much safer for you, I don't know if I'll even be able to find these people, Jungkook, it's just not working out how I hoped it would"

The boy's grip on Taehyung's wrist turns stronger "And that's a reason for me to leave you here? In danger?" He raises his voice.

"Give me a better reason for why you shouldn't" Taehyung challenges, voice monotone.

Jungkook's gaze doesn't leave the older, but his breathing turns slightly uneven. He isn't able to lie to himself anymore "You want a better reason?" He asks, voice shaky.

"I love you"