Realization

Second Chances
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

“YESSSSSSSSSSSS GOAL!” Taecyeon was screaming at the top of his lungs, after he successfully landed a paper airplane into the rubbish bin, making the rest cover their ears. It was already evening time, and most of the students have already left for home.

“Yah! Ok Taecyeon! Must you be so loud?!” Yoona scolded, giving him a disapproving look.

“Hehe, sorry. It’s my first time succeeding!” Taecyeon gave a goofy smile that appeased everyone. No one could stay angry at Taecyeon as he was too silly.

Wooyoung, on the other hand, was busy staring at Taeyeon and wondering about the reason for the sad expression on her face just now. ‘Hmm... Could I be worrying too much?”

“I’m hungry!” Junho suddenly started whining.

“Yeah me too, haven’t eaten for the whole day.” Wooyoung said, and his stomach gave a loud grumble in agreement.

“I want to eat hamburgers!” Yoona suddenly stood up in enthusiasm, giving a wide grin.

“Hey let’s make a bet, loser has to buy us hamburgers at the store near the train station!” Taecyeon suggested.

“Okay! What can we use to determine the winner and the loser?” Junho looked around for an idea.

“Well, we could use that!” Yoona pointed to the paper airplane Taecyeon was holding. All of them nodded in agreement.

“Alright! Let’s get started!” Taecyeon cheered enthusiastically.

As the five of them folded their own paper airplanes, Wooyoung couldn’t help but reminisce. ‘During high school, time seemed infinite. I thought we could keep being like this forever, and that things won’t change. How wrong I was. Every single thing we do now, would eventually turn into a precious memory. The Wooyoung six years ago wouldn’t have realised this...’

His deep thoughts got interrupted as the rest of them ran out to the balcony and got ready.

“ARE YOU READY?” Taecyeon screamed enthusiastically.

“YEAH!” Junho, Yoona and Taeyeon screamed back, with excited smiles plastered on their faces.

“On the count of three! One, two...” Taeyeon, Yoona, Taecyeon and Junho all positioned themselves in a shooting position.

“...THREE!” Wooyoung let go of his paper airplane and let it fly, before realising that the others did not.

“HAHAHA Wooyoung, you really fell for it!” Taecyeon laughed at Wooyoung.

“TEACHER! WOOYOUNG THREW RUBBISH DOWN TO THE FIRST FLOOR!” Junho yelled to Mr. Kwon, who was standing at the first floor, looking up at the five of them.

“He did it even though we told him not to!” Taeyeon continued, giving a innocent smile to Wooyoung. All of them burst out in giggles when they saw Wooyoung’s expression.

“WHAT?! YOU GUYS!” Wooyoung looked at them in disbelief and then looked at Mr. Kwon, who was now staring up at him with a threatening glare.

“JANG WOOYOUNG YOU GET DOWN HERE THIS MOMENT!”  A third yell echoed through the now quiet school.

----------------------------------------------------------------

“Aish... Those people...” As Wooyoung made his way back up to his classroom, he couldn’t stop grumbling and complaining at what the others have landed him in. He had spent a full 20 minutes kneeling in front of Mr. Kwon and hearing his speech about how disappointed he was.

“YOU GUYS ARE DEAD!” Wooyoung yelled, before turning into the classroom. He realised that the classroom was now empty, and that the others have left. He then turned to the front of the classroom, where the big black board was placed. He stared at the board, which was filled with colourful birthday messages from his four best friends. A big "HAPPY BIRTHDAY JANG WOOYOUNG” was written in the center of the black board.

“Happy birthday Wooyoung!!!!” –Junho

“Happy 18th birthday, Wooyoung! ^__^” –Yoona

“Happy birthday, bro! You’re shocked, aren’t you?! :P” –Taecyeon

“Happy birthday, Youngie! We’re waiting for you at the usual burger store, come quickly!! ^^” – Taeyeon

Wooyoung could feel his emotions wash over him, and he could feel himself tearing up at all the memories. He felt so much appreciation for his best friends and was grateful for their existence in his life. In that moment, he knew that he would be nothing without the four of them.

----------------------------------------------------------------

“Hahaha Wooyoung totally fell for it! Mission success!!!” Taecyeon punched a fist in the air, indicating victory, as the four of them made their way to the burger store.

“Don’t you think Wooyoung is too slow?! It’s his own birthday today!” Taeyeon said in exasperation, earning a look from Yoona.

“Yeah, that’s true!” Junho replied, giving a smirk.

Taeyeon soon immersed in her own thoughts, and wondered if there was still hope for Wooyoung to get the hint.

“He’s slow enough...” Taeyeon mumbled to herself in disappointment.  She looked back at the school and gave a huge sigh, before catching up with the rest.

----------------------------------------------------------------

Wooyoung’s point of view

As I packed my bag, I happened to see the Girls’ Generation CD that Taeyeon had returned to me in the afternoon. This particular CD was one of my favourites. I then took out my walkman and decided to listen to the music that I have not heard for many years now.

Itsumo yori sukoshi hiroi heya tada hitori
It’s over, guess it’s over
Futari de tsukuri ageta sutori mo munashiku
Konnani kantan ni kuzurete shimau nante
One mistake, got a one regret
Dare mo kanpeki jyanaitte
Sou ii kikasetemitemo
Nani o emo kizu wa iyasenakute

Ima Time Machine ni norikonde
Anata ni ai ni iku koto ga dekita nara
Mou nanimo negawanai
Hakakute tooi kioku ni naru mae ni
I need a time machine oh
I need a time machine oh...

As the ballad full of emotions started, I suddenly realised how applicable this song is for me. Before I knew it, I started reflect

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter