Taking things for granted

Second Chances
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

“Thanks for everything yesterday,” Taeyeon said as they put the groceries they bought on the table back at Wooyoung’s place, “for helping me to take care of Grandpa and lending him your clothes.”

“Don’t mention it!” Wooyoung said, putting up a thumbs up sign.

“You know, Grandpa praised you! He said, ‘Wooyoung is a good kid.’ Hahaha!”

“Really? Haha. Well from the way he addressed me, I thought he didn’t like me.”

‘Should I confess now? Is this the time? Is this the best chance I will ever have in my whole life?’ Wooyoung thought, as silence ensued between the two of them. His thoughts were interrupted by a gasp from Taeyeon.

“Grandpa forgot to bring his photos back!” Taeyeon said, as she picked up an envelope on the table in the living room.

“Oh, the sticker photos?”

“Yeah,” Taeyeon said, “ah never mind, I’ll just give it to him next time. I’m going back to visit on New Year’s Eve anyway.” She then got up to sort out the groceries, taking those which belonged to the fridge. As she opened the fridge, she took out a bowl covered with plastic foil. 

“Bungeoppang!” She exclaimed in happiness when she saw one of her favourite food.

“Grandpa’s bungeoppang is really, really delicious! His other cooking is horrible actually, but his bungeoppang is the best!” Taeyeon continued, taking a piece out to eat.

“Hmm!” She gave a satisfied smile and held out the bowl to Wooyoung, signalling him to take one.

“Omo, you’re right. It’s really delicious!” Wooyoung said after taking a bite.

“I know right! It’s because when I was young, I loved bungeoppang. Grandpa then went to learn how to cook it and whenever I go back to Busan to visit, he would make a big pile ready for me.” Taeyeon said, munching happily on the bungeoppang. “Anyway, let’s get ready; I think they might be on the way here already!”

“Okay~” Wooyoung answered her, while still holding on to the bowl. He flipped the plastic foil back to cover the food in the bowl. Attached on the plastic foil was a note which read: ‘Come back for the New Year.’

 

Wooyoung’s point of view:

Somehow, those simple words on the notes stuck a deep chord within me and I remembered something very important. I went over to the table where Taeyeon was tidying some of the stuff to make room for the meal later. I grabbed the envelope on the table, looking at the pictures of Grandpa and Taeng smiling widely as thoughts went through my mind.

The thing is… Grandpa never came to visit Taeyeon in Seoul ever again. Taeyeon also lost the chance to pass Grandpa these pictures. That’s because Grandpa will pass away before the New Year, and this will be the last time Taeyeon will be seeing Grandpa ever again.

Grandpa's words kept playing in my mind:

“Just thinking and not doing is no use.”

“If you keep thinking there’s always tomorrow and procrastinate, you’ll suffer for it in the future.”

“Those who say they’ll do it tomorrow are idiots.”

“Taeng… Send the pictures to Grandpa.”

“Nah, it's okay! I’ll just pass it to him the next time I see him.”

“Don’t wait for next time. Just give it to him today.”

“Huh? But he already went back.”

“You can still catch up with him.”

“Youngie, why are you acting so weirdly out of a sudden?” Taeyeon eyed me weirdly.

“Taeng, let's go. Let’s go find Grandpa.” I insisted, nudging her arm.

“Nah, it’s really fine. I’ll just pass it to him during the New Year! I’ll be seeing him then anyway.” She continued tidying up, not even facing me.

“You have to do it while you still can!” My voice was slightly raised, and i

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter