Different

Second Chances
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

The group rode quietly in the car before Taecyeon broke the silence.

“Geez, what’s gotten into Wooyoung? He didn’t have this attitude before.”

“I don’t know. Wooyoung seems to have changed these days, don’t you think?” Yoona replied with a frown.

“Is it possible that I’m the reason?” Leeteuk spoke up.

“What? How?” Taecyeon asked.

“I heard that the five of you will always welcome the New Year every year together. Is it okay that I do this with you? You guys have been doing this together for so long already and it has always been the five of you.”

“No it’s okay, we’re all okay with it. We approve of you.”

“Approve?”

“Yeah, if we all approve of you it’s not a problem.”

“Ah okay then...”

“Don't worry about it!”

The car came to a stop as Junho pulled over in the carpark of a convenience store. “Guys, let’s take a break for a while. Let's get some food in case we get hungry later.”

“Alright!” The group got out and scattered to buy what they desired. Taecyeon was the first to reach the car, as he ate from a bowl of cup ramyeon.

“Aigoo, it’s so cold!” Yoona exclaimed as she stepped out of the warm convenience store with Junho. They each held bags of snacks to share later. Yoona spotted Taecyeon eating again and shook her head.

“You’re eating again?”

“If I don’t eat, I won’t be able to grow you know?” Taecyeon answered with his mouth full of ramyeon.

“Yah, close your mouth when you eat!”

“Shouldn’t the first meal of the New Year be something grander?” Junho teased.

“What I eat is not important. Who I eat with,” Taecyeon turned his head abruptly and stared at Yoona, “is the most important.”

Yoona caught Taecyeon’s stare and gave a forced smile. “What’s that got to do with me… But well, I’ll have a little bit of soup!”

“Okey!” Taecyeon drank a mouthful of soup, before turning to Yoona.

“Yah! No one drinks mouth to mouth!!” Yoona turned away instantly and hid behind Junho.

Leeteuk and Taeyeon then came out of the convenience store. Leeteuk took out a can of coffee and opened it before handing it to Taeyeon. “Here, drink this!”

“Thank you!” Taeyeon replied with a smile.

“Ah really… that’s so nice.” Yoona said in envy while looking at Leeteuk and Taeyeon. Taecyeon then pushed the cup ramyeon to Yoona’s mouth to feed her, but instead it repulsed Yoona and she pushed it away with an annoyed face.

“Yah, stop that! I’m angry already so stop annoying me!” 

The rest  just laughed at their antics. Yoona and Taecyeon bickering was always an entertaining and funny scene to watch. 

---------------------------------------------------------------------

Wooyoung wandered the streets alone, with no destination in mind. After a while, he found himself in front of Samchoon’s Burgers, and decided to head inside.

“Oh, Wooyoung? Why are you here alone? Wouldn’t you guys be together at a time like this?” The uncle who was familiar with the group of five greeted him as he entered the lighted but empty store.

“Annyeong haseyo. Ah no, I needed a drink.  Ahjussi, may I have some beer?”

“Sure thing, take a seat!” The uncle replied, before disappearing into the kitchen to fetch some beer.

Wooyoung settled down at the counter, and gave a deep sigh. The television in the store was switched on, and a random New Year countdown program was on – it was showing the scenes of the after party now.

“Here you go, Wooyoung.” The uncle came back and handed Wooyoung a glass of beer.

“Thank you, I’ll enjoy this.” Wooyoung gave a slight bow in thanks.

“Wooyoung ah, is it really okay for you not to be with the rest on a day like this?” The uncle asked out of concern. Their gang was a regular at his store since high school even though the food was not great and the store was empty most of the time. They made his life noisier and he was grateful for that noise.

“Aren’t there times when you occasionally want to be on your own?” Wooyoung replied, taking a sip of beer from the cool glass.

“Well, you’re asking the wrong person for that. I’m on my own most of the time in this store, whether I like it or not.  So I can’t say I completely understand what you’re feeling,” the uncle said thoughtfully, while tidying up, “but I’m sure there’s a reason why you don’t want to be with them.”

“Umm, well, we’re all in our twenties already. Shouldn’t there be a limit to us always being together?”

“As an outsider, I feel that even as you turn forty, fifty, or even sixty, that kind of spirit should still live on. It’s not easy finding such good pals that stay together even after so much time has passed.”

“Ah. “ Wooyoung gave a small smile and nod in response.

---------------------------------------------------------------------

“Wooyoung’s definitely going to regret not coming.” Yoona said, as the group returned to the road.

“Yeah! Remember back in high school when only the four of us went to eat fried chicken?” Taecyeon continued on with the topic, “Wooyoung was so incredibly angry the next day after we told him.”

“Ah yes, I remember! He even got agitated at the mention of fried chicken for a few months after that incident!” Taeyeon replied and gave a chuckle.

“Yeah! Haha, he was so stubborn about it.” Yoona laughed, while shaking her head slightly.  

“Youngie never forgave us for leaving him out of anything fun ever since, didn’t he?” Taeyeon laughed and continued, “I remember during elementary school, we went on an excursion to the amusement park. He was

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter