Fate

Second Chances
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

“Mr. Jang’s speech was indeed the best. Too emotional,” the MC commented, while using a tissue to dab his tears away, “now, let’s enjoy this slide show that the bride’s best girlfriend, Ms. Im Yoona and the bride’s close friend, Mr. Lee Junho, has prepared for the occasion.”

The slideshow started, and the pictures where Wooyoung had gone back into the past flashed across the screen one-by-one. The meaning behind each picture was very great for Taeyeon, and she soon became absorbed in her thoughts.

‘Jang Wooyoung was the one who was always by my side… Almost every memory I have of school would include him. Although it was not very obvious, his care, sincerity and love towards me could actually be felt. The things he did for me were little, but great things. When I look back and acknowledge his clumsy love towards me now, it suddenly dawned upon me that the me of that time had not been completely honest, unlike what I would like to think. There were many times when he made me very happy but I didn’t tell him directly. I just acted like I didn’t really care instead. I felt his love and efforts towards me, but I just gave up and trampled on them. I was the one who gave up first on my 20th birthday. Just because I didn’t hear the words I wanted to hear from him, all I did was to reject him and put him down every single time. He did so much for me, but I never acknowledged him. I was so selfish.’ Taeyeon thought as she looked at all the pictures on the slideshow. Those pictures had triggered so many memories, and tears cascaded down her cheeks.

 

-Flashback begins-

Taeyeon was in her room and had just finished washing up after getting home from the engagement party. She sat on the chair at her desk and picked up the ring Yoona had given her earlier which sat on the table. She stared at it for a while, and looked at the wordings that had been imprinted into the silver metal on the inside. 

‘Youngie♥ Taengoo forever’

Taeyeon sighed, before reaching for her drawer. She then pulled out a small glass container. She unscrewed the cap, and emptied the contents of the bottle onto her palm. The toy ring Wooyoung had given her when they were seven years old sat on the palm – she had kept it safe and sound for all these years. She held each of the rings on different hands and stared at them, biting her lip while deep in thought.

-Flashback ends-

 

‘In the end, the person who didn’t have the courage to become honest was me, not Wooyoung. Even though I had stubbornly refused to admit it, I know now. I love Jang Wooyoung, and I still do. Why? Why do I only accept this truth now?’ Taeyeon thought, as she blinked and tears continued rolling down as she did.

The slideshow came to an end and Taeyeon was still immersed in her thoughts. Leeteuk then put a hand on Taeyeon’s shoulder gently, causing her to snap out of her thoughts. Before turning to him, Taeyeon wiped her tears away with the back of her palm, before apologising.

“I’m sorry. I just thought of a lot of things. Those were really good memories.”

“It’s okay, I’m sure they were. Here,” Leeteuk said, before offering some tissues to Taeyeon. Taeyeon accepted them with a murmur of thanks.

 

The end of the slideshow signalled a break, before the event continued with a toast for the bride and groom, followed by a meal. Leeteuk and Taeyeon walked to the dressing room together to get some rest and do some touch-ups, with Leeteuk leading the way. Taeyeon seemed absorbed in her own thoughts; it was like she was in her own world.

“Taeyeon.” Leeteuk finally spoke, after turning around and seeing the expression Taeyeon had.

“Hmm?”

“If you’re confused about anything, please say it out and not keep it inside.”

“Huh? What do you mean?”

“On the day of your 20th birthday, you were torn between seeking the answer to your problem, or to continue with the project for the competition, weren’t you? Right now, you have the same expression as you had then.” Leeteuk replied. Taeyeon looked at Leeteuk with pained eyes before looking down. Meeting Leeteuk’s strong gaze made her feel a little worse.

“If you’re undecided and confused, why not we play a simple game to decide?” Leeteuk suggested. Taeyeon looked up with curious eyes as she looked at Leeteuk. Leeteuk took out one of his cufflinks and held it up.

“You know, I believe in fate. I believe that you have a destiny that only you are bound to, and it cannot be changed by anyone. So we’ll let fate decide. If you choose the hand with the cufflink, you go and seek your answer. But if you don’t, you simply give up.”

Taeyeon did not reply and remained silent, not knowing what to do. Leeteuk put both his hands behind his back before holding both his fists out in front of Taeyeon. Taeyeon was very unsure of what to do; her emotions and feelings were in a mess right now. She looked up at Leeteuk, before looking at his fists. After much contemplation, she picked Leeteuk’s right fist, still not meeting his eyes.

“You picked this hand. Regardless of the outcome, you know what you were hoping for the moment you made a choice right?” Leeteuk said gently. Taeyeon bit her lip, not wanting to maintain eye contact with Leeteuk for long. Leeteuk smiled, and unclenched his fist.

As Leeteuk opened his hand slowly, Taeyeon stared at Leeteuk’s right hand expectantly, hoping for what her heart wishes. After what seemed forever, Leeteuk’s palm was now visible, and the cufflink sat on it. Taeyeon’s eyes widened at the sight, while Leeteuk just gave a smile.

Fresh tears brimmed in Taeyeon’s eyes. She knew what she wanted to do. But to abandon someone who was so nice towards her, how could she do it? How would he feel?

“You two are destined to be together. Go.”

Taeyeon stood still, hesitating.

“Yah! Kim Taeyeon. You know that you want to seek the answer to your problem. Go now, don’t regret.”

Taeyeon gave Leeteuk a long look, still biting her lip to prevent her tears from falling. She then gave Leeteuk a bow before she gathered her dress and ran off. 

 

Seeing Taeyeon disappear out of his sight, Leeteuk realised that this was Taeyeon walking out of his life. The future he envisioned with her – them living together as a couple in their small but cosy apartment, even having their own children and growing old together – it was gone now.

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter