Inability

Second Chances
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

Wooyoung had rushed to the park where Taeyeon and him played often when they were young and managed to catch Taeyeon who was passing by to get to the restaurant she was going to meet Leeteuk at. They had bumped into each other in the past but Wooyoung came that night knowing that Taeyeon will be there. Taeyeon was very surprised to see Wooyoung appear in front of her and tilted her head curiously.

“Youngie? What are you doing here?”

“I heard about the proposal from Leeteuk.”

“Oh… haha. It’s really shocking right? Marriage seemed so far away,” Taeyeon said, as she took a few steps away from Wooyoung, her back facing him, “and the proposal wasn’t like what I dreamt that it would be.”

Taeyeon slipped those last words out without thinking. She bit her lip, hoping that Wooyoung didn’t realize the true meaning behind those words.

“I see…”

‘Phew, luckily it wasn't that obvious.’  Taeyeon thought. Taeyeon turned around and faced Wooyoung before she started speaking again.

“Time flies huh? When we were in high school, we were still busy being afraid of the future, not knowing what it will be. But before we know it, everything’s coming all at once.” Taeyeon said with a smile. “Look, you’re in a suit now. It seems like yesterday that we were still wearing uniforms.”

“Yah, Kim Taeyeon. You’re talking too much again.” Wooyoung said. Taeyeon gave a frown before she gave a smile.

“On how to answer to the proposal, I thought that I would accept it.” Taeyeon said carefully, thinking that he wanted to know her answer. Wooyoung looked up at Taeyeon and the look in his eyes was unreadable.

Taking a deep breath, Taeyeon continued, “Even though his proposal was really sudden, I was very happy. There really isn’t any reason to reject him. That’s why I-” 

“Stop.” Wooyoung interrupted her mid-sentence. Taeyeon raised her eyebrows at him, prompting him to continue.

“A simple proposal like that… Taeng, don’t accept it.”

At Wooyoung’s words, Taeyeon blinked in confusion, before giving a small frown.

“I know what you’re going to say - that I’m still young and that I’m only just about to graduate. And that there is no need to rush into marriage.”

“Exactly. Why don’t you think more about it?” Wooyoung sounded like he was reprimanding her, “A year of dating is too short. Do you know him well enough already?”

“Truth be told, I don’t. I don’t know much about him, and I know that he doesn’t know much about me as well. He doesn’t know me like how you, Yoona, Taecyeon and Junho do.” Taeyeon acknowledged, “But I’ve decided that I want to know more things about him, and I know that he genuinely wants to know more about me too. That sincerity and his feelings towards me is more than enough.”

After finishing her piece, Taeyeon took a look at her watch. She then looked up at Wooyoung, whose expression was still the same, before saying, “I’m getting late, I’ll get going now yeah? You should too, the rest are waiting. See you!”

Taeyeon then turned her back and started walking away.

“I may be able to understand about dating and being a couple, but marriage? You want to get married to someone you barely even know? Do you think marriage is a game? Your reason to get married with him is stupid!” Wooyoung exclaimed, albeit agitated before Taeyeon walked out of earshot.

As soon as those words slipped out of his mouth, Wooyoung bit his lip quickly. ‘Even though I came back to the past, the very same words I told her in the past just came out without thinking. I still haven’t been able to change the situation that caused me regret on this day. I will still have this regret.’  

Taeyeon then turned around and looked at Wooyoung with sad eyes. “Even though we’ve been so close for so long, you don’t understand a thing, Youngie. You don’t understand a thing at all.”

‘There. Those words that were the most painful to me, stabbed my heart like a knife once again.’

 

Taeyeon’s point of view.

“I may be able to understand about dating and being a couple, but marriage? You want to get married to someone you barely even know? Do you think marriage is a game? Your reason to get married to him is stupid!”

Hearing those words from Wooyoung made me even more certain

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter