Once Upon A Time - Chapter 9

Once Upon A Time

"If no one loves you, then I will."

He looked at the boy in surprise, not expecting to hear such words.  He looked the boy up and down.  A smile slowly appeared on his face.  "You will love me?"

The boy nodded with a smile.

"The love that I want is that of lovers.  I want someone to love me with all their heart.  I want that person to think of me as their world.  I want to be the most important person to them," he stated teasingly.  "Will you do all that?"

The boy contemplated a moment.  "If I do, will you promise not to jump anymore?"

"Why does it matter to you if I jump or not?"

The boy pouted, solemnly.  "Because I would be sad."

He looked at the boy's sad face and felt his heart aching for some unknown reason.  "Alright," he finally said, unable to stand seeing the look on the boy's face any longer.  "Stop making that face.  I won't jump."

The boy's face lit up.  "Let's make a promise," he said as he held out his pinky finger.

He looked at the boy's delighted face and had no choice but to oblige.  He held out his pinky finger and linked it with the boy's to form their pledge.

The boy smiled with satisfaction.

"When you're a bit older, I want you to be my family," he said.  "Will you agree?"

The boy nodded.  "When I'm older, I'll marry you to be my wife."

"Wife?" he asked as he burst into laughter, unable to believe what he was hearing.  "In that case, I want to know the name of my husband."

"I am Woohyun."


The sound of someone knocking jolted him back to reality.  He glanced at the door and saw his secretary standing there.

"Mr Kim, it's time for the meeting," the woman informed.  "Everyone is waiting in the conference room."

He nodded in acknowledgement.  "Go," he instructed.  "I'll be there in a minute."

"Yes Sir," said the woman as she walked out and closed the office door behind her.

He leaned back in his seat and let out a deep sigh.


When the final bell rang at the end of the day, all the students made a rush for the door.  Woohyun wiped the blackboard and turned around to find Myungsoo still sitting in his seat.

"Myungsoo, it's home time," Woohyun reminded him.

Myungsoo got up from his seat and approached the front of the room.  "I know," he replied.  "I just wanted to know if you're okay."

"What do you mean?" asked Woohyun, feigning ignorance.  "I'm fine."

Despite Woohyun's words, Myungsoo knew that the teacher was trying to avoid the issue.  "Those men from this morning," Myungsoo reminded him.  "Are you in some kind of trouble?"

"No," Woohyun replied as he looked away and began gathering up his books.  "You should go home."

Myungsoo frowned in frustration.  "If you're in trouble, please tell me and I will help you."

Woohyun looked at Myungsoo and saw the determination in the boy's eyes.  He knew that Myungsoo only wanted to help but he did not want the boy to be involved with his problems.  "It's nothing," Woohyun replied.  "You should concentrate on your studies rather than worrying about useless things."

I worry about you, Myungsoo wanted to say but didn't.


As the pair exited the school gates, they saw a luxury black car parked by the side of the road, attracting attention from passersby who knew the value of the car.  A chauffeur stood waiting beside the car.

Woohyun seemed surprised when he recognised the chauffeur.  What's he doing here? he thought.

"My boss would like to see you," said the chauffeur as he opened the back passenger door.