Once Upon A Time - Chapter 13

Once Upon A Time

The Woohyun's apartment looked like a tornado had passed through it.  The pile of books which were neatly stacked on the floor were now scattered everywhere.  Pages were torn from the books and littered the floor.  What little furniture he had were turned upside and thrown about.

Sunggyu panicked and rushed towards the bedroom.  He pushed the door open and found the room in the same state as the rest of the apartment.  What made his heart skip a beat was the sight of a figure slumped face down on the floor beside the bed.  A pair of broken glasses was nearby.  He did not have to guess to know who it was.

"Woohyun!"

With trembling fingers, he gently flipped the unconscious figure over.  His heart almost stopped when he saw the cuts and bruises on Woohyun's face.


The chauffeur stepped into the hospital room and found his boss sitting beside the patient's bed while holding the young man's hand.  He had been sitting like that for hours.  The chauffeur sighed and approached him.

"Boss, I got you some coffee," he said as he held out the coffee cup in his hand.

Sunggyu shook his head.

"You don't have to worry so much," said the chauffeur.  "The doctor said he's going to be okay."

"It's my fault," Sunggyu said, sadly.  "I should have been there to protect.  What good am I if I can't even protect the most important person in my life?"

The chauffeur remained quiet, not knowing how to comfort his boss who was blaming himself.

Go back first," Sunggyu instructed.  "I'll call you when I need you."

The chauffeur nodded and exited the room, closing the door behind him.


Some time later, when Woohyun regained consciousness, he found himself lying in the bed of a familiar room.  A room in which he knew that he should not be in nor could he afford it.  He turned his head to the side and was surprised to find a sleeping figure, resting their head on the side of his bed.  What futher shocked him was seeing the person's hands holding his own.

Woohyun lay there, not knowing what to do.  He was afraid that if he moved, he would wake the man up.  As he lay there contemplated what to do, the sleeping figure stirred and slowly opened his eyes.

"Woohyun, you're awake!" Sunggyu exclaimed with relief.  "Are you okay?  Does it hurt anywhere?"

Woohyun was slightly taken aback by the man's show of concern.  "I'm okay," he assured him.  "It seems I can never pay my debt to you."

"I don't need you to pay any debt," Sunggyu stated.

There was a moment of silence as Woohyun lowered his eyes to avoid Sunggyu's stare.

"What happened?" Sunggyu finally asked what he had been wanting to ask from the start.  "Who did this to you?"

Woohyun looked at Sunggyu and managed a weak smile.  "I was robbed," he lied.  "I just happened to come home and caught them in the act.  They were angry that they couldn't find anything of value so they me and trashed the place."

Sunggyu frowned upon hearing Woohyun's explanation.

Woohyun saw the frown on the older man's face and wondered if Sunggyu believed his lie.  "I'm okay now so can I go home?" he asked, realising that the longer he stayed, the higher his debt.

The frown remained on Sunggyu's face as he looked at Woohyun.  "Alright."

Woohyun seemed surprised that Sunggyu had agreed so easily.

"But," Sunggyu added.  "You can't go back there.  It's too dangerous."


Woohyun sat on the lounge seat in the lobby while waiting for Sunggyu to finalise the paperwork with the nurses.  A short time later Sunggyu approached him with a gentle smile.

"Let's go," Sunggyu announced.  "Sungyeol's waiting outside."

Woohyun obediently got up and followed the after Sunggyu as they headed out the exit.

It would have been better if you did not let me into your home.