Once Upon A Time - Chapter 1

Once Upon A Time

"Oh no!"

The moment he stepped onto the stairs of the overpass, he heard a voice cry out in exasperation.  He looked up ahead and saw several oranges tumbling down the stairs towards him.  At the top of the stairs he saw an old woman holding a plastic bag which had ripped from the bottom.  The old woman was frantically trying to make her way back down the stairs to stop the tumbling oranges yet the speed of her pace reflected her age.

Seeing this, he placed his school bag down and stretched out his jumper to gather up the oranges.  By the time the old woman reached the bottom of the stairs, he had already gathered all the oranges and was waiting for her.

"Oh thank you so much," said the old woman, relived that someone had helped her.

He smiled.  "It's no problem," he replied.  "Do you have another bag to put these in?"

The old woman shook her head.  "I'm afraid that was my only bag."

"Let me help you carry them then," he offered.  "How far do you have to go?"

The old woman's eyes beamed with delight at the helpful boy.  "That would be lovely," she exclaimed.  "My house is just a short distance after this overpass."

"Alright then, let's go," he said as he placed the oranges into his school bag.  "I'll help you carry these."


He arrived at the school gates just as the bell rang.  As he hurried to class, he caught sight of a figure standing in the middle of the yard with a stack of books in his arms.  As he approached closer, he saw that it was a boy about his age.  The boy looked like the studios type with his large black rimmed glasses.  There was a troubled look on the boy's face as he glanced around the place.

"Do you need some help?" he asked, unable to ignore the troubled boy.

The boy was startled by the sudden voice that he dropped several books on the ground.

"Sorry, I didn't mean to scare you," he apologised as he picked up the books and handed them to the boy.  "Are you lost?"

The boy pushed back his glasses.  "I'm looking for room 301."

"That's my class," he replied.  "I can take you there."

The boy seemed relieved to hear that.  "Oh thank you."

He led the boy inside a building.  "Are you new?"

"Yes," the boy replied with a smile.  "It's my first day and yet I missed the bus this morning and then I got lost trying to find my classroom."

He smiled as he looked at the boy dressed in casual clothing.  "They let you come to school without your school uniform?"

"School uniform?" the boy asked with a puzzled look on his face.  "I didn't realise we had to wear one."

"It's your first day, I'm sure they'll let it slide," he assured the boy.

Before long they had arrived outside a noisy classroom.  He reached for the door as he glanced at the boy who seemed rather nervous.  He figured that it was only normal for someone to be nervous on their first day at a new school.

"No need to be nervous," he told the boy.  "I'm here."

The boy took a deep breath and nodded with determination.

The moment the classroom door opened, the noise immediately died down however it resumed when the students realised that it wasn't the teacher at the door.

He started to make his way to his seat in the corner at the back of the room but when he glanced back he did not see the boy.  Instead, he saw the boy walking to the front of the room.  He watched as the boy wrote something on the blackboard before turning around to face the students.

"Good morning, everyone," the boy greeted.  "I'm your new homeroom teacher from today."

He looked at the boy in surprise then glanced at the name on the blackboard. 

Nam Woohyun.