Once Upon A Time - Chapter 8

Once Upon A Time

Woohyun glanced out the window and noticed that the rain had eased.  He glanced over to the counter where Myungsoo was ordering the food.  Woohyun felt awkward, allowing a student to buy him breakfast.  He was the adult and if anything, he should be the one paying but Myungsoo had been so persistent that he had no way of refusing the boy.

Shortly after, Myungsoo returned to their booth with a tray of food and drinks.

"Here you go," said Myungsoo as he placed the tray in front of Woohyun.

"Wow, that's a lot of food," exclaimed Woohyun as he looked at the overloaded tray.  "Are you sure you can finish it all?"

Myungsoo smiled.  "It's all for you, Mr Nam," he informed with a cheeky grin.  "You need to eat more.  Besides, breakfast is the most important meal of the day."

Woohyun's eyes widened in surprise.  "I can't possibly-"

"Here, I got you some hot tea to warm you up," Myungsoo insisted pushing the cup towards Woohyun.  "You got wet in the rain before.  I don't want you to catch a cold."

"I'm not that weak," Woohyun retorted.


The rain had come to a complete stop by the time they finished their meal.  Myungsoo glanced at his watch and noted that they still had plenty of time before school started.

"Shall we walk or head to the bus stop?" Myungsoo asked.

"I think walking would be good," Woohyun suggested.

Myungsoo smiled, happy to oblige.

"Thank you for breakfast," said Woohyun as the pair strolled casually down the street.  "Next time it will be my shout."

"It's alright," said Myungsoo.  "You don't..."  Myungsoo stopped mid sentence when he noticed that Woohyun had stopped walking.  "Mr Nam, is something wrong?"

Woohyun glanced at the other side of the street before turning his head away.  Fear etched upon his face.

Myungsoo frowned in confusion and glanced back over his shoulder to see what had caused Woohyun's sudden change of behaviour.

The street was empty except for two rough looking men walking on the other side.  Woohyun seemed to know them yet Myungsoo could not picture them as being friends.  When the two men glanced over their way, Myungsoo immediately pushed Woohyun against the wall and placed his hands on either side of him.

Myungsoo's actions caught Woohyun by surprised as he stared wide eyed at Myungsoo.  The boy took a step forward, closing the distance between them.  Too startled to react, Woohyun remained still.  Myungsoo inched closer, so close that they could feel each other's breath on their faces.

"Myungsoo," Woohyun whispered softly as if afraid he might be heard.  "What are you-"

Myungsoo hushed him mid sentence.  "Shh, don't move.  They won't be able to see you," he whispered.  "Just stay like this until they pass."

It was only then that Woohyun realised that Myungsoo was trying to help him.

From the other side the two men looked at the two figures across the road.  "Kids these days," one of them muttered as they disappeared down the street.

Myungsoo waited several seconds longer before he finally took a step back just as a car approached their way.


A frown etched upon his face as he glanced at the two people outside the cafe.

"Did you want me to stop?" the chauffeur asked as he slowed down, intending to pull over.

There was a moment's silence.  "No."