Once Upon A Time - Chapter 16

Once Upon A Time

Sunggyu sat waiting in the VIP room of the restaurant, sipping his wine when the door opened.  In stepped an old man with a Cuban cigar in one hand.

"Sunggyu, sorry to keep you waiting," the old man apologised as he extended his hand.

Sunggyu put down his glass of wine and smiled.  "No need to apologise, Mr Kim," he said, shaking the old man's hand.  "It's my pleasure to have you wanting to meet me after you've just returned."

"Ah, let me introduce to you," said the old man as he gestured to the figure standing behind him.  "This is my son, Myungsoo."

Sunggyu looked at the boy, now dressed in a fine suit and looking very much a member of a prestigious family.  Sunggyu smiled when he saw Myungsoo narrowing his eyes at him.  He knew the boy did not like him.  The feeling was mutual.  Playing the gentleman that he was, Sunggyu offered his hand towards Myungsoo.  The boy looked at him before they reluctantly shook hands.

"A fine young man," Sunggyu commented with a smile.

"He has a lot to learn from you," said the old man.


Sunggyu was glad when the hour long meeting over drinks and dinner ended.  He hated these business meetings but it was a necessity.  What surprised him though, was knowing that Myungsoo was the old man's son.  Sunggyu glanced at his watch.  It was not too late to have dinner with Woohyun.

"Where's Woohyun?" Sunggyu asked as he got into the car.  "Is he still at the school?  Let's go pick him up."

"He said he would be late," Sungyeol informed.  "There was something he needed to do."

Sunggyu frowned and took out his phone and dialled.  The main reason he gave Woohyun a phone was to make it easier for him to contact the Woohyun.  Sunggyu waited as the phone rang.

 
Sunggyu grew impatient after several hours had passed.  The numerous calls he made were left unanswered.  They had searched the school and Woohyun's apartment but there was no sign of the younger man.  Sunggyu could not help worry that something had happened to him.


Police sirens echoed through the night sky as police arrived at the scene.  Detective Lee approached the car where the bodies of two men lay on the ground with blood pooling around them.  Inside the car, he saw the bloodied body of an old man and a teenager, both slumped in the back seat.  He lowered his head and let out a deep sigh.

"H...help...me..." he heard a voice murmur.

It was only then that he realised that the teenager was alive.


When Sunggyu's phone rang, he immediately answered too out his phone to answer, hoping that it was Sunggyu but his hope diminished when he saw the name of the caller.  He contemplated whether or not to answer the call as he knew that it was never good news.

Sungyeol glanced at the name of the caller then looked at Sunggyu.  "Boss, it's Detective Lee."

Sunggyu finally answered the call.

"Sunggyu, the killer has just claimed his next victim.  Kim Sungmo is dead, along with his two bodyguards," Hoya informed. 

Sunggyu frowned at the news.  Another of his business partner was killed.  He could not help but wonder if perhaps Hoya was right, that this killer was aiming for him.

"However," Hoya added.  "This time, we may have a witness to the killer's identity."

Sunggyu seemed surprised.  "What do you mean?"

"Kim Sungmo's son was also in the car at the time.  He is alive but in a critical condition in the ICU," replied Hoya.  "He may be able to tell us something once he wakes up."

Kim Myungsoo? thought Sunggyu.  He wondered what would happen if Woohyun found out.

"Look Sunggyu," said Hoya with a serious tone.  "As a friend, I'm telling you, let me send some men over to protect you.  I know you still haven't hired any bodyguards like I told you to because you're a stubborn man."

"You don't have to worry about me," said Sunggyu.  "Why don't you focus on your witness.  He's your only hope at catching this killer."

Sunggyu let out a deep sigh after the call ended.  Though he knew that perhaps Hoya could be right, that his life was in danger, however the only thing he was concerned about at the moment was Woohyun.  He had to find Woohyun.

At that moment, his phone rang.  He glanced at the name of the caller and his eyes widened in surprise.  He quickly answered the call without a second to spare.

"Woohyun!  Where are you?"

"Sunggyu..."