Once Upon A Time - Chapter 5

Once Upon A Time

The flashing blue and red lights surrounded the area as police arrived and cordoned off the street where the bodies lay in a pool of their own blood.  A plain clothes detective approached the car and saw the body of the old man slumped in the back seat.  He let out a deep sigh when he recognised the victim.

"Not again."


Woohyun awoke and found himself lying in an unfamiliar bed.  He glanced around the room, complete with a lounge suite and large wall tv.  If it wasn't for the fact that his hand was hooked up to an IV drip, he would have thought that he was in a hotel room.  He figured that this hospital was probably for those wealthy people and was out of his league.  Perhaps whoever brought him here had made a mistake.  He wondered how much the hospital bill was for such a place and only hoped that he hadn't been here long.

Just as he was about to sit up, the door opened and a figure entered the room.  Woohyun looked at the man in the black suit for a moment before recognising him as the man from the restaurant earlier that night.

"You're awake!" exclaimed the man with relief.

"Did you bring me here?" Woohyun asked.

The man nodded.  "The doctor said you were suffering from exhaustion and dehydration but you should be fine."

"Thank you," replied Woohyun as he tossed back the blanket and climbed out of bed, only to have the man stop him.

"What are you doing?" the man asked.  "The doctor said you need to rest."

"I'm fine now," Woohyun insisted.  "Besides, I can't stay here."

The man frowned.  "Why not?"

Woohyun glanced at the room hesitantly.  "I can't afford it."

The man sat Woohyun back down on the bed.  "It's fine.  The hospital bill's been taken care of.  You don't have to worry."

It was only then that Woohyun realised that the man must have paid on his behalf.  "I'm very grateful for your help but why would you do this for a stranger you've only just met today?"

The man's face faltered upon hearing Woohyun's words.  "You...you don't-"

They were interrupted by a quick knock at the door before the chauffeur entered the room.

The chauffeur knew that he had probably interrupted something when he noticed the dejected expression on the man's face.  If the matter was not important he would not have wanted to step into this awkward situation.  He walked up to the man and whispered beside his ear.

"It's Detective Lee.  He said it's urgent."

After hearing what the chauffeur had to say, the man looked at Woohyun.  "Just stay here and rest," he told him before walking out the door with the chauffeur.

As soon as they exited the room, the chauffeur handed the phone to the man.

"Hoya, what is it?" the man asked as he answered the call.

"Park Chan Yong is dead," the voice informed him.  "He's the fifth victim already."

Sunggyu frowned at the news.  It was just a few hours ago that he was dining with the older man.

"Sunggyu, you need to be careful," the voice continued.  "As CEO of the Kim Financial Empire, you're definitely on this killer's hit list."