Once Upon A Time - Chapter 3

Once Upon A Time

Woohyun's eyes widened with shock.  He quickly pulled back and averted Myungsoo's gaze, not knowing how to face the student who seemed surprisingly calm.  Perhaps Myungsoo was used to this sort of thing.  He, on the other hand, wished that the ground would open up a hole and swallow him up.  How embarrassing for such a thing to happen, with his own student, no less.  To make matters worse, it was his first kiss.  He had intended to save it for his first love.

"I'm sorry," Woohyun finally found the courage to speak.

"It's fine," Myungsoo replied, seemingly unfazed by what had just happened.  "Are you alright?"

Woohyun nodded as he glanced outside.  He was relieved when the bus came to a slow stop.  "It's my stop," he exclaimed and started to make his way towards the door.  "I'll see you tomorrow."

Woohyun pushed his way through the crowd and quickly exited the bus.  He breathed a sigh of relief when the bus drove on.  In actual fact, his stop was further down but after the embarrassment on board, he thought it was better to walk the rest of the way.


He stood outside the front door of his small apartment, his eyes fixated on a small piece of paper lying on the ground.  The piece of paper was so small that most people would not notice of it.  But he noticed it, the piece of paper that he had carefully placed between the door and the wall was now on the ground.

He carefully pushed open the door and stepped inside.  Without warning, he reached inside his pocket and threw an object towards the figure sitting on his couch.  The figure immediately shifted to the side, leaving the small knife to embed itself into the sofa.

"Hey, is that any way to greet your friend?" the figure protested.

"You're not my friend," he replied coldly.

"Really, how can you say that after all these years?" the figure retorted, feigning sadness.  "I'm hurt."

He glared at the figure.  "If you're done, leave."

The figure tsked as he got up from the sofa and walked towards him.  "Your next pay day is on the table," he informed before walking out the door.

He waited until the figure disappeared from sight before he glanced at the envelop on the table.


He stood and looked at himself in the mirror for a moment before he took off his glasses and headed into the kitchen of the busy restaurant.  The chef handed him several plates of food which he carried on both arms.

"Now remember," the chef reminded him.  "These guests are in the VIP room.  You cannot be careless."

"I understand," he replied.

As he approached the VIP room, he saw two men in black suits standing guard outside the door.  He wondered what type of people needed to have guards while they ate dinner at a restaurant.  Their presence intimidated him.  He swallowed the lump in his throat and walked towards them.  The two men glanced him over before allowing him entry.  He nodded to thank them and stepped inside.

Though the round table was filled with many chairs, there were only two seats which were occupied.  Inside the large room, two men sat opposite each other while the rest of the men stood behind them.  One man was dressed in a black business suit with slicked back hair and holding a glass of cognac, while the older man was in a pinstripe suit, smoking a cigar.  A stack of documents was on the table.

"Ah the food is here," exclaimed the older man as he put down his cigar.  "Now that the contracts have been signed, let's enjoy ourselves."

Judging from their looks he figured that they must be very wealthy and powerful people, albeit a little intimidating.  He tried to hide his nervousness as he approached the table.  He carefully placed the plates of food down one by one.

The man in the black suit leaned back in his seat and took another gulp of his cognac.  He did not pay much attention to the waiter.

Meanwhile, the older man watched with amusement when he noticed the waiter's trembling hands.  "Are you new?"

The waiter lowered his head, afraid to make eye contact.  "Yes, Sir," he replied, nervously.  "It's my first day."

The older man looked at the waiter.  "Aren't you a bit young to be working?"

The waiter shook his head.  "No, Sir," he replied hastily as he placed down the last dish.  "Please enjoy your meal."

He was about to turn and leave when his hand accidentally knocked over the bottle of cognac on the table, spilling it onto the documents.  He panicked, realising what he had done.

"I'm so sorry," he quickly apologised as he tried to salvage what he could of the documents.

The older man narrowed his eyes in anger and slammed the table with his hand, causing the waiter to jolt in shock.  His action caused the man in the black suit to turn his attention to the waiter who was trembling in fear while apologising non-stop.  The man's eyes widened in surprise.

"You idiot!  That was an important contract!" the older man scolded as he stood up.

Just as the older man's fist came towards him, the waiter felt himself being pulled aside, in the nick of time to evade the blow.