Once Upon A Time - Chapter 2

Once Upon A Time

He remained in shock as he stared at the youthful face of his new homeroom teacher.  He found it hard to believe that the person standing there was older than him.  How looks could be so deceiving.

It seemed that he was not the only one surprised by their new homeroom teacher.  After the teacher had introduced himself, all the students were silent as they stared at him in disbelief.

One girl who could not contain her curiosity any longer, raised her hand.  "Mr Nam, how old are you?"

"You don't look older than us," another girl chimed in.  "You look too young to be a teacher."

He saw the troubled look on the teacher's face once again as the girls in the class continued to bombard him with questions about his age.  He could not bear to see the teacher looking so troubled.  For some reason it angered him.  He felt that he needed to help him out.

"Can you all be quiet!" his voice cut through the air, silencing the girls at once.  "Class has already started and the teacher is trying to speak."

No one dared to utter another word.  He, too, was surprised at himself for the sudden outburst.  He had never cared much when the class was rowdy with their previous teachers.  What had come over him?

Woohyun breathed a sigh of relief when peace was restored once again.  He looked at the student at the back of the room and smiled, thankful for his intervention.
"Alright," said Woohyun.  "I will take the roll call now."

Despite the heavy silence in the air, each student responded when their name was called.  Woohyun continued down the list, trying his best to remember the names of his students with their faces.

"Kim Myungsoo," Woohyun called out.  He raised his head, anticipating the response.

"Here," came the reply.

Woohyun smiled when he saw that it was the student in the back row who had responded.  He finally knew the name of the student who had helped him.


Woohyun breathed a sigh of relief when the final bell rang at the end of the day.  Whilst the rest of the students rushed out the door, Myungsoo casually slung his bag over his shoulder and looked at Woohyun who was still packing up his belongings.  He stood and watched as Woohyun gathered up the remaining books and held them in his arms.  As he did so, his glasses slipped off his nose and he struggled to push them back without a free hand to do so.

"Let me help you carry them," Myungsoo offered and grabbed the books from Woohyun's arms before the teacher could protest.

Woohyun was going to insist that he was fine but Myungsoo was already holding onto his books.  Unable to decline the kind gesture, Woohyun pushed his glasses back and smiled.  Truth be told, he was appreciative of Myungsoo's help.  "Thank you."

"How was your first day?" Myungsoo asked as the pair made their way out the school gates.

"It was nerve-racking," Woohyun replied, truthfully.  "I was so nervous about it that I could not sleep at all last night.  I was worried what I would do if the students didn't take me seriously but thanks to you, it wasn't so bad."

Myungsoo smiled at Woohyun's words.

"Do you take this bus too?" Woohyun asked when they both stopped at a nearby bus stop.

"Sometimes," Myungsoo lied.  He hated taking the bus and much preferred to walk but he did not want to part ways with his teacher so soon.

Moments later, the bus arrived.  Upon boarding it, they discovered how overcrowded it was.  They had no choice but to stand along with the rest of the passengers.  Myungsoo glanced at Woohyun standing beside him and saw an uncomfortable look on the teacher's face.  He wondered if perhaps Woohyun was feeling sick until he realised what was happening.

Without warning, Myungsoo pulled Woohyun to stand in front of him so that they were facing each other.  Myungsoo glanced back and glared at the man who was standing behind Woohyun a moment ago.  The man immediately snuck away to the other side of the bus.

Woohyun let out a sigh of relief, thankful once again that Myungsoo had come to his rescue, otherwise he would not have known what to do in such a predicament.  "Thank you," Woohyun whispered softly, feeling uneasy and unable to believe that such a thing could happen to him.  "I-"

Before Woohyun could finish his sentence, the bus came to a sudden stop, causing Woohyun to go flying forward where his lips crashed against Myungsoo's.