Once Upon A Time - Chapter 24

Once Upon A Time

"What a pity," Hoya mocked as he glanced at Myungsoo's fallen figure on the ground.  "I thought you might have succeeded.  Would have saved me a lot of trouble but I guess if you want something done properly, then you have to do it yourself."

With the unexpected appearance of Hoya and his group, Sungyeol immediately stepped up and stood in front of Sunggyu with his sword ready for an attack.

Hoya looked at Sungyeol before casting his eyes on Sunggyu.  "No wonder you refused to my protection," said Hoya.  "Your bodyguard was always by your side."

Sunggyu smirked.  "I should have known it was you, remnants of the Do Hun clan.  Where is your boss hiding these days?"

"So you've finally figured it out," said Hoya with a smile.  "Are you regretting that you didn't kill him that night?"

Sunggyu frowned when his mind flashed back to that fateful night, the night he let an enemy escape.  Yet it was also the night he met Woohyun.  Remembering his meeting with Woohyun brought a smile upon his face.

Hoya frowned in anger when he saw the smile on Sunggyu's face.  "You can still smile?  Haven't you realise the situation you're in?  Even if you're the leader of the Jin Young clan who commands thousands of men, what can you do now with just the two of you?"

Sunggyu hardly seemed threatened by those words.  "Why should I fear a coward who only knows how to use a brat to do his dirty work?" he asked.  "What lies did you feed him to make him listen to you?"

"I just told him the truth," Hoya snapped angrily.  "They all deserved to die.  They were all your executives after all, members of the Jin Yong clan.  On the surface you pretend to talk about business contracts, but in fact, they do your bidding.  Not a single one of them was a good person and the worst one of all is you, their leader.  Tonight, you'll pay for what you've done to the Do Hun clan!  Kill him!"

At Hoya's orders, the group of men charged towards Sunggyu but Sungyeol stood like an unmoving mountain in their way.  With his sword in hand, Sungyeol cut down all those who tried to pass him, stopping them from even taking a step towards Sunggyu.

Seeing his men fall one by one, Hoya grew anxious.  Raising the sword in his hand, he rushed over and struck at Sungyeol from behind.  Surprisingly, Sungyeol turned around and blocked his blade just in time.  Their swords clashed again and again.  At that moment, Hoya finally understood why Sunggyu did not need a group of bodyguards.  One man with the strength of a hundred was all he needed.

"You're impressive!" Hoya remarked as their swords clashed once again.  "But I've waited long for this day.  It won't be for nothing!"

Hoya broke free from the deadlock and with a mighty swing, he brought his sword down towards Sungyeol.  Sungyeol blocked it once again and returned the favour, knocking Hoya's sword out of his hand.  He followed through with a slash across Hoya's chest, opening a deep gash as blood poured out.  It ended with Sungyeol's blade at Hoya's neck.

Despite the turn of events and the predicament he was in, Hoya looked at Sunggyu and laughed.  "All these years of observing you, I had started to think that you're a man without a weakness," Hoya began.  "But it seems that you're human after all.  Tell me, what is the thing that you treasure most?"

Sunggyu frowned at Hoya's words.

Hoya smirked.  "How would you feel if it was taken away from you?"


He cautiously opened the door and stepped inside the darkened room.  With quiet steps, he approached the bed where a figure lay sleeping soundly.

"Woohyun," he called out softly.  "Are you asleep?"

When his question was met with silence, he smiled.  He raised the sword in his hand and with a mighty force, plunged the blade down onto the bed.