How We Met

It's Okay

I was just was in a cafe. I had a book, but I was just thinking.

Today was worse than before, I didn't understand what I did to make them hate me so much... Did they think I couldn't understand what they said to me? I could speak Korean almost perfectly. My friend told me that this would happen, but it would stop once you do something to gain some kind of acceptance. But I was too afraid to do anything.

That's when he came up and sat right in front of me and said

"Hi, I'm Jo Youngmin, what's your name? Do you want some coffee?"

What? Why would some guy, a cute guy at that, just come up to me and ask me something like that?

"Jae, people call me Jae, and sure."

He smiled, "Nice to meet you Jae! I hope we can become good friends!"

Good friends? Who was this guy? He bought me some of my favorite coffee, even though I never told him, and said

"Hope you like it!" After that he just started talking about the most random things, but I didn't pay any attention. Until he suddenly stopped and asked,

"Uhhh Jae? Is something bothering you?" His smile faded away, and Youngmin looked like he was really worried. That's when I just lost it. Everything I was feeling the last few days just came out in slient tears. I was trying to hide them, but Youngmin stopped me.

"It's okay to cry. Whatever it is I'll listen to you." How could someone like him see right through me? He moved over to sit closer to me,

"Do you want to go to the park for a minute? It might help a little." I just nodded. Youngmin and I just walked across the street to the park and we found a spot where we could just talk. When I finally stopped crying, I started talking about everything that had been bothering me. I half excepted him to get up and leave, but he stayed. His eyes never looked away as I talked, and when I was done with my story, he gave me some of the best advice I had ever gotten, 

"Just be you, and be happy okay?" He smiled again, and this time I smiled back. After that we just talked and talked until it was finally time to leave. I gave him my cell number and address and said "Thank you for today. It was nice to talk to someone who is willing to listen. I promise to return the favor someday. Whenever you need someone, just call." Youngmin answered back by giving me his cell number and address and replied "No, thank you Jae." Then he smiled brightly and left.

But that was a long time ago. He hasn't called, and I bet he forgot me. I took his advice, though I was scared,  I was happy. It sounds like something from a drama, but that's how we met. That's how my life started to change. And it was all because of Jo Youngmin.