Never Ever Attempt.

In the Name of Love

Finally the sun was setting. It felt like forever to Donghae. He wondered if the room was under the impact of some severe magnetic fields. Time seemed like standing still here.

 

Donghae, as a desperate attempt to kill time, had practiced all alchemistic spells he had learnt so far. Air to wood to bread to coin to paper to water to flower to silk to knife to feather to towel to air to wood to bread…

 

The bread remained not tasty…

 

Now Donghae was not just expecting His Majesty. Anyone… I beg you… anyone… please…

 

He hoped someone would pay him a visit before his existence was completely forgotten.

 

Air to wood to bread to coin to paper to water to flower to silk to knife to feather to towel to air to wood to bread to coin to paper to water to flower to silk to knife to feather to towel to air to wood to bread to coin to paper to water to flower to silk to knife…

 

“That’s not too bad. You still want to be an assassin?”

 

Abruptly turning his head, Donghae gasped and jumped, dropping the knife. He couldn’t hope for more. It’s Eunhyuk His Majesty.

 

Donghae’s eyes were immediately captured by the other. How… did he… do it…? It’s like Eunhyuk simply appeared behind Donghae. If His Majesty walked into the room, Donghae didn’t hear the door open or any footsteps. If His Majesty arrived by magic, Donghae didn’t glimpse any light flash when magical spells were being cast. Donghae didn’t even sense the presence of another person… until His Majesty spoke. How long had His Majesty been watching Donghae?

 

Seeing the knife and the more than stunned Donghae, His Majesty raised an eyebrow. “What? You want to assassinate me?”

 

……

 

Eunhyuk’s gaze had paralyzed Donghae, who had difficulty answering. “… No… Really… No…”

 

For long their eyes were locked on each other. Long enough to make Donghae blush. And His Majesty had definitely seen it. One corner of his mouth curled up and he jerked his head at the table. “I brought you dinner.”

 

2 trays of food were placed on the table.

 

Another spell was shot at Donghae. If he was stunned before, now Donghae was petrified. His Majesty… personally… brought him dinner…

 

… Your Majesty…

 

Henry’s words chose this moment to sneak into Donghae’s head. So are you now His Majesty’s…

 

Donghae’s heart began pounding hard in response… Annoyed Donghae bit his lip and stood up. Hesitantly Donghae walked to sit down at the table. His Majesty took the seat opposite Donghae, staring at him intently.

 

Donghae couldn’t move.

 

……

 

How could those eyes be so charming and soul luring? What’s worse slowly His Majesty rested his elbows on the table and came closer. Seeing Donghae tremble slightly Eunhyuk’s grin widened. Teasingly His Majesty lifted Donghae’s chin with his index finger. “What are you waiting for? You want me to command you? Or you’d prefer me to feed you instead?”

 

His Majesty’s fingers were playfully caressing Donghae’s lips again. Electricity was pulsing inside Donghae like crazy. Knowing he couldn’t take this further Donghae instructed his body to stand up. Yet instead he fell down onto the floor.

 

Eunhyuk chuckled.

 

Donghae cursed himself. Why on earth would he be so helplessly addicted to Eunhyuk’s teasing? What had caused him to be so completely mesmerized… and maybe… even obsessed…?

 

That Eunhyuk… was dangerous, fierce, merciless, arrogant, heartless…

 

Yet at the same time charming and seducing and gorgeous and irresistible…

 

And yet deeply inside… Eunhyuk was caring and gentle and loving and beautiful…

 

Maybe that’s why…

 

Donghae tightened his lips and scrambled himself up. He sat back down on the chair and started to eat. All the time avoiding Eunhyuk’s gaze…

 

His Majesty, nevertheless, kept peering at Donghae…

 

What happened earlier that day was infuriating. Rather than seeing the end of another magical bloodline, Eunhyuk was shown the alliance of his enemies. Jiro… Eunhyuk knew him. And Jiro reminded him of that person, whom His Majesty had tried every means to forever wipe off from his memory…

 

The harder Eunhyuk tried, the more the past followed him like a phantom. That person… though no longer by his side… had indeed occupied a significant part of Eunhyuk’s past. Sometimes Eunhyuk would still dream about that person… weeping… whispering beside him… telling Eunhyuk he still loved him… telling Eunhyuk how much he hated him…

 

Eunhyuk swore he wouldn’t love anymore. Nothing could be more dangerous.

 

Yet he needed not give up the fun of teasing someone, getting someone to fall for him, and enjoying being admired and loved right?

 

Especially this Donghae. Eunhyuk couldn’t explain. But by just looking at Donghae Eunhyuk felt calm. Even after those frustrating events taken place a few hours ago, little by little, seeing Donghae there as meek as a lamb, Eunhyuk’s heart was soothed. It’s no longer pumping worries and uncertainties and insecurities into Eunhyuk’s blood…

 

Eunhyuk wanted Donghae, his only source of calm, here. He wanted Donghae by his side whenever necessary.

 

But Eunhyuk wouldn’t love Donghae. He knew… love’s nothing but danger… He also knew… by doing so… he’s being very cruel to Donghae. Making someone love you but not rewarding that someone with love… Capturing someone’s heart and then leaving it to thirst to death, breaking it without feeling a thing… It’s the most horrible torture. It’s more than cruel. Nothing could be more heartless. That’s even shameless!

 

And it’s not the first time…

 

So? So what? Eunhyuk was born to be a sinner right? What’s important was he allowed Donghae to live; despite the fact that Donghae had magic flowing in his blood! That’s Eunhyuk’s mercy!

 

Roughly Eunhyuk grabbed his chopsticks and began having dinner.

 

Donghae shivered, wondering if he had done something to anger His Majesty; or that His Majesty had some new teasing ideas…

 

But no… Eunhyuk just concentrated on his food, ignoring Donghae.

 

Really Eunhyuk was not trying to do anything to Donghae. Nevertheless being ignored by His Majesty made Donghae feel bad. Even Donghae himself didn’t realize. He was pouting.

 

……

 

Tentatively Donghae said. “… Your Majesty…”

 

“OK you will stay here. Being of the forbidden blood type, you are not allowed to wander around outside. I don’t approve. But as long as you cannot do magic, you can live. You can walk around here. There are nevertheless places you shouldn’t go. You will know when you try. Other than that just let the servants know what you need. Make yourself comfortable. Honestly I don’t see a day when you can leave this place…”

 

His Majesty glanced up at Donghae and finished his sentence. “ alive.”

 

Donghae was amazed to find himself nodding. Yet Eunhyuk didn’t see. His Majesty, resuming dinner, was ignoring Donghae again.

 

To Donghae, who’s simply too innocent, what Eunhyuk just said was not too bad. To him Eunhyuk was actually not so cruel because he didn’t kill him. He believed Eunhyuk was a caring person because he’s concerned if Donghae was comfortable here.

 

“Thank you Your Majesty. You’re really… kind…” Donghae said sincerely.

 

Upon hearing that His Majesty stopped eating, closed his eyes and put the chopsticks onto the tray. Staring at Donghae he asked. “What?!”

 

Donghae wondered from where he got the courage. “I said… you’re… kind… Your Majesty…”

 

Eunhyuk rolled his eyes. Donghae did prove to be amusing.

 

Though he couldn’t help stammering, and his eyes were looking down, Donghae continued. “Beneath… the cloak… you’re wearing… you have… a… beautiful heart…”

 

That’s taking Donghae a great deal of courage. And Donghae seriously believed what he said.

 

Chills were summoned into the room. His Majesty rewarded Donghae by glaring at him fiercely.

 

You have a beautiful heart…

 

Eunhyuk clenched his fists. He fixed his eyes on Donghae… until Donghae fidgeted nervously. “You don’t know me.”

 

Donghae dared not look at Eunhyuk. Yet he could be stubborn. One day I will know you. I believe you’re kind…

 

Eunhyuk stood up and spoke more firmly. “You don’t know me.”

 

Donghae tightened his lips. He had seen it more than once. Though the spark died out in the blink of an eye, it’s dazzling and unforgettable. Clearly and more than once Donghae saw the tender side of Eunhyuk… So… beautiful…

 

And now Eunhyuk remained charming, carrying his breath taking aura, as he walked towards the door. Before he opened it Eunhyuk spoke. “You don’t know me. Never ever attempt. Never ever think about it. Reality is brutal. The truth will break your heart.”

 

His Majesty left.

 

……

 

Donghae stared at the door, shocked… speechless. Silhouette of His Majesty was still flashing in his mind. Why did His Majesty act like that? Donghae wanted to know Eunhyuk… to get close to Eunhyuk… so bad…

 

Closing the door behind him, the calm left Eunhyuk. He was feeling annoyed. That Donghae was just naïve and stubborn.

 

Reality is brutal. The truth will break your heart…

 

Why did he say those words to Donghae? Wasn’t Eunhyuk looking forward to hurting Donghae?

 

Was he being merciful? Was he concerned that Donghae’s heart would be irrevocably shattered?

 

Or…

 

Was he being afraid? Was he fearing that when Donghae really came to know Eunhyuk… he would lose Donghae?

 

Which one was he? Which one?

 

 

--------------------------------------

A/N: Hello everyone!! How are you doing? I just submitted a short story of mine to a writing competition!! Keeping my fingers crossed for the best~~~

A/N2: Whose heart would be broken? What do you think? I know u already hv a lot of questions in ur head. Sorry to add another one... ^^