Your Kingdom Killed My Parents

In the Name of Love

Eunhyuk His Majesty was sitting in a grand armchair. The chair was black. Eunhyuk was also dressed in black. The fabric of his robe was made from luxurious, fine silk. The silk was allowed to soak in the kind of dye, which was repeatedly purified until nothing else but the color black remained. As a result, the robe was shining black.

 

Still Eunhyuk His Majesty outshined it. His head resting on his right hand, his right elbow on the armrest, Eunhyuk was demonstrating elegance, radiating authority. His face giving out no emotion, His Majesty’s eyes took in everything in the royal chamber.

 

In the royal chamber, chief alchemist Kyuhyun was tending to Donghae. And during the whole time, Kyuhyun was perfectly aware that His Majesty was scrutinizing him.

 

In His Majesty’s cozy, splendid bed, Donghae was sleeping. He’s definitely dreaming, probably a nightmare. A fine layer of sweat covered his face and neck. His fists were sometimes clenching, sometimes clawed. His brows were tightly knotted together. Rhythm of his breathing altered from one minute to another. One minute earlier it’s smooth and even. The next minute it’s labored, interrupted by irregular gasps. And constantly Donghae’s mumbling incoherent syllables.

 

Gently Kyuhyun wiped away Donghae’s sweat with a cloth. After that he carefully undid Donghae’s shirt to examine the wound on his chest. Blood had stained the bandage. But the wound was closing. Kyuhyun murmured an alchemistic spell. At that a glowing sphere appeared and floated above his palm. Gracefully the chief alchemist gestured his hand. The sphere moved to above Donghae’s wound and slowly descended into his chest. Soothing warmth spread from there to the other parts of Donghae’s body. Donghae relaxed and let out a soft whisper. “Your Majesty…”

 

The chief alchemist halted, in the middle of unwrapping those old bandages around Donghae. His already tightened lips pursed even more. It lasted for only one split second. However His Majesty’s intelligent eyes were too good to miss that.

 

Nobody saw, even though Eunhyuk His Majesty didn’t bother to hide. Donghae’s whisper just invited His Majesty to imagine what Donghae’s probably dreaming about. And with all those images in his head, His Majesty’s lips flicked a smirk.

 

Kyuhyun turned to fetch some new bandages, as well as that healing potion he specifically prepared for Donghae. It’s a healing potion yes; but mingled with that taming poison. The chief alchemist’s fingers skillfully opened the bottle, tilted it and allowed a good portion of the liquid inside to flow onto Donghae’s chest. The liquid’s giving out a faint, light bluish glow. Upon touching Donghae, the liquid spread and covered Donghae’s wound. Some time later the liquid’s like dissolved into Donghae. The bluish glow was no more.

 

The chief alchemist had just fed Donghae with another dose of taming poison.

 

Putting the potion back in his pouch, Kyuhyun proceeded with the final steps, wrapping Donghae with the new bandages.

 

This was the fifth day. Until now Donghae was too weak to do anything, other than staying in bed. Thanks to that taming poison.

 

It’s a task the chief alchemist performed with reluctance. In the past five days other than this routine, Kyuhyun spend all his remaining time on searching for the cure. Today was no exception. Kyuhyun quickly finished this “time wasting” duty and was eager to go back and work on something much much more important.

 

“Your Majesty, if you allow, I’d take my leave now.” Kyuhyun came to stand in front of His Majesty, his head slightly bowed in humility.

 

Eunhyuk His Majesty waved his hand, signaling to Kyuhyun that his request was granted.

 

As Kyuhyun was approaching the chamber doors, Eunhyuk spoke. “Kyuhyun.” The chief alchemist halted his steps.

 

“Shouldn’t healing potion be dark blue instead of light blue?” Eunhyuk His Majesty stood up from the armchair and turned in Kyuhyun’s direction. As he turned his robe danced around him in glamour.

 

That question caused Kyuhyun’s heart to gallop frantically. As the chief alchemist turned to face His Majesty, his brain searched desperately for the answer to that question.

 

His Majesty gazed at his chief alchemist, whose lips remained zipped. Taking his time, Eunhyuk His Majesty walked towards Kyuhyun.

 

Those were painful moments. Just as Kyuhyun opened his mouth to attempt some answers, His Majesty continued. “I know Kyuhyun.” With all his might, Kyuhyun fought the urge to step back. He had to remain perfectly still, in order to hide that, he’s hiding something.

 

His Majesty was right in front of Kyuhyun now, waiting. Knowing there’s no chance to conceal it further, Kyuhyun fell on his knees. “Your Majesty! I beg you. Please! Allow me to find the cure before…”

 

The last thing Kyuhyun expected happened. Eunhyuk His Majesty hugged him, leaving him speechless.

 

……

 

“I know Kyuhyun. Sometimes I really feel… I don’t deserve you Kyuhyun, the best alchemist in the world.” With His Majesty’s arms around him, Kyuhyun’s enveloped in that majestic black robe as well.

 

Kyuhyun was too stunned to respond. What His Majesty said next elicited sorrow tears all the way from his heart. “Kyuhyun. I know how slim the chance of finding a cure is. Even if you cannot find it, you’re not to be condemned. I know what you have added in that healing potion. I also know why. Time is running out Kyuhyun. In front of death, I am no majesty. I’m just an ordinary person with one dying wish. Kyuhyun, I’m sure you know what that is. Please grant me my wish.”

 

“Your… Majesty…” Kyuhyun was shaking his head, his arms naturally embraced Eunhyuk, who continued. “What difference would it make? What difference is there between five more days and four more days? Or maybe three? What’s more, I do owe this to him. No?”

 

“You didn’t do anything Your Majesty. It was…” Kyuhyun wanted to say Hyukjae. But the taboo was so implanted in him he immediately bit his tongue.

 

Eunhyuk His Majesty let out a bitter smile. He released Kyuhyun. Some time later, without saying anything further, he dismissed him.

 

After Kyuhyun left Eunhyuk whispered to himself. “Hyukjae… this is your curse… right…?”

 

His Majesty returned to his grand armchair. Originally he was gazing at Donghae. But then his mind travelled somewhere else, somewhere far… Donghae had become a background image. Eunhyuk was gazing into space…

 

For no idea how long it was silent in the royal chamber.

 

It was broken by a sigh, a whisper from His Majesty. “Hyukjae… I’m sorry…”

 

……

 

A heavy silence dominated the chief alchemist’s chamber as well. Kyuhyun, at his work desk, was staring at the scroll in front of him like a sculpture. Yet if one looked closely, one could see the chief alchemist’s jaw was so tightly clenched he’s shaking.

 

Inside Kyuhyun, furious waves were roaring, smashing against his pride, his beliefs, building blocks of his foundations; as well as the steel walls he built to safeguard his secret.

 

Different people had different ways to deal with traumas. To Kyuhyun, Donghae was a lucky person who could simply forget. Kyuhyun wanted to as well. But he couldn’t. All he could do was to strengthen those steel walls over and over again so that nobody, not even Kyuhyun himself, could glimpse or touch what’s locked up inside.

 

A sigh heavier than the silence overtook it. Kyuhyun leaned back in his chair and covered his face with his hands. He’s exhausted. However the real battle was yet to come.

 

Kyuhyun worked restlessly to find the cure he wanted. That didn’t surface. Tonight, he’s convinced that there’s only one single cure, the one he didn’t want. It’s associated with an unpleasant fact. No matter how much he hated it, Kyuhyun would need Donghae’s help. Kyuhyun could heal Donghae no problem. But could he trust Donghae?

 

Especially when things had got so complicated now? Inside Donghae, there were reasons to save His Majesty. There were as well reasons to kill His Majesty. Kyuhyun didn’t have a good feeling towards putting His Majesty at Donghae’s mercy.

 

Innocent Donghae might seem, there’s a reason Kyuhyun refused to trust Donghae so far. Donghae’s from Kingdom Alpha. Kyuhyun distrusted this Kingdom.

 

Nevertheless Kyuhyun was given no choice in this situation. He had to have a word with Donghae… and to invite Donghae inside those huge, fortress-like steel walls.

 

……

 

The next day Kyuhyun reduced the dose of taming poison.

 

Nightmares one after another left Donghae extremely exhausted. Therefore when finally he opened his eyes and realized he’s channeled back into reality, he sighed in relief.

 

When the blurred image of His Majesty gradually came into focus, Donghae’s heart fluttered with bliss. But then he pressed his lips together and cursed himself. He could feel his fluttering heart, which was at the same time dripping with blood.

 

Donghae bitterly swallowed his tears and tilted his head to the other side. To his surprise, he met Kyuhyun’s eyes.

 

The chief alchemist’s demeanor was cold. His eyes blinked chill, distrust, and anger. Kyuhyun articulated one statement, coating every word with frost. At that, Donghae’s heart stopped.

 

“Listen carefully Donghae. Your Kingdom killed my parents.”

 

 

--------------------------------

A/N: Do you feel that this chapter is different? Maybe because it's new year or maybe I'm not that busy these days, I could put more time and effort into it. And I feel that under such condition when I write, there's more inspiration. Could you feel my energy? ^___^

A/N2: It's a new year! A new start! I hope I can keep this up and I hope you enjoyed this chapter!! Thanks for your support again!!