Time To Put All These To Rest

In the Name of Love

Donghae stared blankly at Kyuhyun.

 

What just came out of Kyuhyun’s mouth, each and every single syllable, shot into Donghae’s heart like fire arrows. Yet it’s like Donghae’s senses were not functioning. He’s having difficulties to decipher those syllables. The sorrow and bitterness choking Donghae’s heart were so thick and deep they acted like insulating cushions, absorbing any disturbance.

 

It took a while… a long while… before the fire arrows finally burnt down the insulation and scarred a mark in Donghae. Your Kingdom killed my parents.

 

Donghae widened his eyes…

 

……

 

The day Kyuhyun stepped into Kingdom Alpha and took part in the slaughter, was the second best day of his life. At least that’s what he thought.

 

The best day was the day Prince Eunhyuk His Majesty picked him.

 

It’s Kyuhyun’s wildest dream came true that he could avenge his family. Come on. We’re talking about bringing down Kingdom Alpha here!

 

White signified purity, sincerity and honesty. And that’s what Kingdom Alpha claimed herself to be. But in Kyuhyun’s eyes, the Kingdom’s a big pile of disgusting white powder concealing immeasurable innocent blood beneath. When Kyuhyun drew out his sword, and let it loose to drink blood, his eyes didn’t see anything. He only saw white. He made sure his sword targeted only white. And he smirked, as the ugliness covered in those fake white robes got unveiled.

 

Inside him, Kyuhyun’s blood boiled with thrills. He’s there to witness Kingdom Alpha meet her fate!

 

……

 

As the battle wore on, Kyuhyun’s senses began to take in what actually was happening around him. The screams, the cries in agony, the pleas… flowed into his ears. They sounded exactly the same… The horror of hearing death, the anguish of seeing loved ones die, the helplessness and anger… flashed in people’s eyes and cast into Kyuhyun’s. Those looked exactly the same… Fear, pain, despair… soaked the air. It smelled exactly the same…

 

Exactly the same…

 

All those caused the steel walls inside him to crumble. Kyuhyun was transported back to the day when his own Kingdom fell, when his hometown was besieged, his home trampled, his family slaughtered, his childhood shattered and the world turned into hell.

 

“Kyuhyun… Saranghae… Do not let me down…”

 

He’s transformed back to his little self, back to that moment, back in the arms of his Hyung. On that fateful day, a teenage alchemist warrior, Kyuhyun’s eldest brother, wrapped Kyuhyun tightly in his arms; and sheltered Kyuhyun with his alchemistic shield… and his own body… after all his alchemistic power was consumed. “Kyuhyun… Saranghae… Do not let me down…”

 

And then those pair of arms turned cold…

 

……

 

Ignoring the fact that he’s now a lead alchemist in the battle against Kingdom Alpha, Kyuhyun broke into a frantic run, gasping, eyes widened. In the midst of all the battle cries, buzzing sounds of spell casting, clanks of swords crashing, people shrieking… he just heard his brother’s voice ring beside his ears. The haunting memories were catching up with him. He had to run!

 

Desperately Kyuhyun fought to retain his sanity. And at that moment, in his flustered mind, a light shone. Prince Eunhyuk His Majesty. Kyuhyun couldn’t lose Eunhyuk His Majesty. Quickly Kyuhyun orientated himself and rushed towards where Eunhyuk was.

 

Before long Kyuhyun located the tent in which Eunhyuk His Majesty was being tended to. Forcing his way through Kyuhyun threw himself beside Eunhyuk.

 

“Hyung!”

 

……

 

Even he himself was startled, hearing what he just whispered. That was the instant Kyuhyun knew why he would stand by Eunhyuk His Majesty no matter what. And that’s a secret he’d been keeping to himself. Though not exactly the same, Eunhyuk spoke like his own Hyung, especially when His Majesty said “Do not let me down”. It’s the closest, the best Kyuhyun could get to ease his hopeless wound. Eunhyuk His Majesty was also the closest Kyuhyun could get to fill the place of a family member.

 

……

 

Yes Kyuhyun would kneel down to his rival, Lee Donghae, if that could save Eunhyuk His Majesty.

 

Now that the chief alchemist saw Donghae widen those annoyingly innocent eyes, Kyuhyun had to clench his fists to prevent himself from punching Donghae. What Donghae said next further challenged Kyuhyun’s limit.

 

“Impossible” was the sole stupid word offered by that stubborn Lee Donghae.

 

Gritting his teeth, pressing his lips together, Kyuhyun breathed in and closed his eyes.

 

“Kingdom Smyrna… the first fallen Kingdom… magical bloodline blue… Kyuhyun, you’re from…” Eunhyuk His Majesty’s soft yet authoritative voice reached into Kyuhyun’s very core.

 

Kingdom Smyrna… The long forgotten Kingdom… elicited tears all the way from Kyuhyun’s heart.

 

He didn’t see this coming. The royal alchemist, whose eyes never flickered fighting off armies no matter how numerous, whose lips never twitched confronting opponents no matter how fierce, finally… finally after so many years… lost control…

 

And His Majesty’s arms around him only managed to fuel his already chaotic emotions further…

 

……

 

Quietly Donghae’s closely watching.

 

Were His Majesty and his royal alchemist putting up a performance?

 

Appa always told him Kingdom Alpha’s different from the others. Kingdom Alpha embraced peace, upheld righteousness. They set themselves apart from the turmoil outside. That’s why they set that magical shield up, firmly declining involvement in any war.

 

Kyuhyun got to be lying.

 

However… Donghae had never seen Kyuhyun so messed up.

 

And something’s scratching the back of Donghae’s head. Kingdom Smyrna… he had heard this name before... And for some reason, his throat felt dry. Some bitter taste lingered in his mouth…

 

……

 

Kyuhyun was wrong.

 

The best day of his life… was today.

 

Eunhyuk His Majesty accompanied Kyuhyun back to his room, holding him along the way. That made quite a scene in the royal palace.

 

Now that Kyuhyun’s lying in his own bed, Eunhyuk His Majesty was still beside him, taking care of him…

 

It warmed him when Eunhyuk His Majesty reached out his hand, and gently brushed away the strand of hair on Kyuhyun’s forehead. What an honor…

 

Kyuhyun’s exhausted from dealing with his emotions, his past. But other than that he’s fine. Now he’d like to focus back on his worries at hand. “Your Majesty. How do you feel? Is my potion helping?”

 

“Yes. There are still times I feel weak to the bones. But it’s not as bad as before…” His Majesty kept caressing Kyuhyun’s hair.

 

Staring at His Majesty, gradually Kyuhyun’s eyelids grew heavy. He’s more exhausted than he thought. He’s not certain if he’s still muttering coherently. “Your Majesty… If… Donghae… helps… I… confident…”

 

“Kyuhyun ah… Just rest… It must have been difficult for you…” That night, His Majesty stayed beside his royal alchemist.

 

Upon making sure that Kyuhyun’s deep in sleep, His Majesty stood up and walked to stand by the window. Raising his head Eunhyuk looked up at the moon. “And just let Donghae decide.”

 

It suddenly crossed Eunhyuk’s mind that he could be counting his days… with one hand… Surprisingly it’s not distress, but calm that’s settling down in his heart.

 

Time to put all these to rest.

 

……

 

Donghae’s alone in His Majesty’s chamber, bracing himself.

 

The bitter taste in his mouth had intensified and spread. Now even the air smelled bitter. The bitterness was like lead pulling down his stomach.

 

“Kingdom Smyrna? Where is it appa?” Donghae looked up at his father who’s ruffling his hair.

 

His father’s silence puzzled Donghae. Pouting and clinging to his father, Donghae watched the servants tear down the huge map originally hung on the wall in his father’s study. Before Donghae could ask what they’re doing, a new map was laid out.

 

The new map’s more splendid. It attracted Donghae’s curious eyes. “Donghae ah…” His father lifted him up with his strong arms. “Always remember our Kingdom is righteous. Kingdom Alpha means peace, and love.” Then his father turned around and walked out of the study, carrying Donghae in his arms.

 

Before the doors closed, Donghae managed to take a glimpse of the map again.

 

Reality is brutal. The truth will break your heart.

 

There’s Smyrna no more… but Alpha… on the map…

 

 

-------------------------------

A/N: Hello everyone!! If you're reading this, please accept my most sincere graditude!!! >_<

A/N2: I don't know when I can get out of my hiatus but I will try my best! I will update!! I won't give up!! Pls don't give up on me~~~~

A/N3: I'm like YG now... the Queen of delay... Please enjoy the update!!