Donghae...

In the Name of Love

 

Somehow His Majesty managed to swallow whatever his royal alchemist stuffed into his mouth. And then His Majesty passed out. Kyuhyun carried His Majesty to his royal chamber. This news cannot be spread!

 

As Kyuhyun stepped into the chamber, His Majesty on his back, he saw a startled Donghae. Before Donghae could blurt out a question Kyuhyun silenced him with the fiercest possible glare. Shut up! I have more pressing matters to tend to!

 

Seeing that, Donghae choked back all questions down his throat. It haunted him. The tears and pain, glistening in those cold eyes of the stonehearted alchemist, were so out of place, yet at the same time so real, hauntingly real.

 

Kyuhyun laid His Majesty down in his bed. His Majesty’s face was not only pale. It was giving out a tinge of greenish grey, poison. Kyuhyun concentrated every single bit of his will power, summoned every single bit of alchemistic power within. Beads of sweat slid down his forehead as he drew another rune to enforce the previous ones. He rolled up His Majesty’s sleeve to check the deadly black lines; and was partially relieved seeing them further slowed down. Exhausted, he heaved a sigh.

 

The rune just drawn by Kyuhyun shined so bright it earned a gasp from Donghae, who immediately covered his mouth. Yet the horrifying black lines elicited a muffled question from him. “What happened?”

 

Kyuhyun ignored Donghae. Instead he tenderly placed a hand above His Majesty’s forehead. His mouth formed a thin line as there’s hardly any warmth he felt. Quickly he pulled the blanket over and covered His Majesty with it. Clasping His Majesty’s hand in his, Kyuhyun fixed his eyes on his master’s face. “Your Majesty… I told you… not to… Your Majesty…”

 

And then Donghae witnessed the scene nobody else could have. Silently, down the royal alchemist’s eyes, tears gleamed and streamed, melting all frost along the way.

 

Donghae came to kneel down beside the bed next to Kyuhyun. He had million questions in him, bombarding him like crazy. Yet he kept his mouth shut. He knew better to disturb the royal alchemist at this moment. And he didn’t need to be told that something very wrong happened.

 

His brows furrowed as Donghae shifted his eyes to look at His Majesty. His heart ached upon seeing that deadly beauty. And as if some gate was opened all of a sudden, unstoppable tears blurred his vision and overflowed his eyes. He’s awed, mesmerized, scared… It’s like he’s looking at a gracefully craved statue in front of him. It’s like a statue… because of the beauty… because there’s hardly any sign of life…

 

But then all of a sudden strong arms gripped Donghae, and he’s roughly dragged away. Turning his head Donghae saw Kyuhyun. Those cold eyes had returned, sending shivers down Donghae’s spine.

 

Donghae didn’t know from where he got the courage. He found himself pleading and struggling. “Let me stay! Please!”

 

The grip remained strong. The eyes remained cold.

 

Donghae found himself protesting. “LET ME STAY HERE!! LET ME STAY!!”

 

While he’s being dragged further towards the chamber doors, Donghae strived harder. And while he’s doing that an alien yet acquainted warmth swelled up in him. It’s like re-uniting with a long separated, childhood friend. Donghae knew he had felt the same warmth before, but he couldn’t recall when or where. The sensation continued to warm him, strengthen him.

 

Really Donghae didn’t know what happened. It just came out naturally, without the slightest warning. Scorching white light shone. The white brightened and grew further white, saturating the whole chamber. The white blinded him, startled him. Donghae halted, and froze, flustered.

 

……

 

When Donghae could see again he saw a figure on the floor. It took him some time to recognize that was the royal alchemist. The ninja clothing worn by Kyuhyun was torn at various places. And where it was torn, there it was blood oozing out, dying the deep navy blue black. Kyuhyun looked like someone narrowly survived a terrible fight.

 

Before long the royal alchemist bit his lip and staggered up, holding his sword in front of him. If Kyuhyun’s eyes were cold before, now they were ice sending out chills. They were as deep as, as dark as the most deathly abyss. Though every move pained him, to the point like his limbs would fall off, Kyuhyun stepped to stand between Donghae and His Majesty.

 

Blood streamed down the corner of Kyuhyun’s mouth.

 

A Kingdom without His Majesty is not worth serving.

A world without His Majesty is not worth living.

I, Cho Kyuhyun, live and die with His Majesty.

 

In his mind, Kyuhyun recollected the earlier scene of Jiro dissolving into venom. He mentally thanked Jiro for the idea; and got the alchemistic spell ready in his head. For His Majesty, Kyuhyun would willingly embrace the same fate.

 

On the other hand, Donghae was bewildered, more than shocked. A heart stopping feeling hit him, when he regained enough senses to feel. His hands were wet… with some liquid that was thick and hot… And it smelled like…

 

Donghae shuddered.

 

Still shaking, Donghae dreaded to look down. He gasped. He took a step back… when his fear was confirmed. Thick blood coated his hands. With widened eyes Donghae looked up at Kyuhyun. And Kyuhyun’s still bleeding.

 

Donghae took another step back… and another step… He broke into a run and left the chamber. Sobbing uncontrollably, tears kept coming out of his eyes. Yet Donghae didn’t dare to wipe his tears away. His hands…

 

Along the way, Donghae stumbled and fell, having no idea what to do, where to go. He didn’t know himself anymore. Who’s this person living in this body?

 

……

 

Eunhyuk opened his eyes to find himself in his own chamber.

 

It felt like a dream to him. He almost forgot it’s reality… if not for what his body was reminding him. It ached. And he’s dizzy. And he could hardly breathe. And he’s weak and cold. And his magic…

 

That felt even worse than losing someone dear, a lover. His magic felt so distant…

 

Weakly and tiredly he blinked. So things were going to end like this… Eunhyuk let out a bitter, sarcastic smile, looking back at his life, thinking over what he had done, what he had achieved so far.

 

It’s the third time Eunhyuk glimpsed death. First time it was cousin Yeni. Second time it was Kingdom Alpha. Now this. They all related to Hyukjae one way or the other.

 

What was he doing actually? Day one he thought seducing Hyukjae he’d be alright. But that brought him Yeni. Day two he thought swallowing enough magic to overpower Hyukjae he’d be alright. That almost took his life. Day three he thought snatching the throne and sending Hyukjae away he’d be alright. Day four he thought killing Hyukjae he’d be alright. Day five he thought wiping out all other kingdoms and magicians he’d be alright…

 

No he’s never alright. The nightmare never stopped haunting him. Fear never stopped pursuing him. He never felt secure. His heart never found peace.

 

Now it occurred to Eunhyuk that maybe he’s been trying to end his life all along. He’s very tired. Tired of all wars and conspiracies swirling around him. Tired of plotting and scheming. Tired of all hatred and revenge. Tired of the need to constantly stay alert. Tired of everyone’s choking fakeness. Tired of the nightmare he couldn’t get rid of. Tired of keeping everything to himself. Tired of continuing like this… Tired of living… Tired… Tired… Tired…

 

Death’s a double-edged sword. It ends everything. Good things as well as bad. Joy as well as regrets. Love as well as hatred. It’s a crystal orb revealing what really matters. At the same time it’s an hourglass counting down to the moment when nothing matters anymore.

 

It’s daybreak. Gentle morning light came in to kiss His Majesty’s face. It felt wonderful. The morning sun was once again wonderful. This morning the sun resembled the one enchanting Hyukjae and him one morning. It was a morning when the two of them were still little, that everything (including each other) on earth was simple and wonderful.

 

All of a sudden searing pain gripped his forearm. Looking down Eunhyuk’s heart stopped for a moment seeing the dark lines calibrating his remaining time.

 

So… what really mattered?

 

His Majesty closed his eyes… and he saw it…

 

As realization dawned on him Eunhyuk’s eyes flickered open. When death had taken all burdens and fear away, declared enmity and danger unimportant, rendered magic useless, cleared the muddy water originally dyed with differences and events in the past, nothing mattered anymore. Nothing’s worth further worries.

 

What did the curse say? Never love? Never receive love? Trust no one? Those could go to hell! Those no longer carried any power!

 

Eunhyuk didn’t see this coming. It caught him totally by surprise… to find his heart not simply beating. It’s pounding. It’s dancing. It’s singing. It’s so much immersed in joy, so much soaked with delight. It’s beating in a way that would make you blush.

 

Though the time would be limited, he’s finally free to love, free to give. It’s ironic. His Majesty felt like he’s finally starting to live.

 

Donghae…

 

 

------------------------

A/N: Sorry guys. For the late update and the rush update. I need to go to bed now!!

A/N2: This story continues to be difficult. Thanks again for your support and patience!! Sincerely from the bottom of my heart!! >_<

A/N3: Your Majesty... why did you realize so late?!