Will You? Can You?

In the Name of Love

 

Dressed in the smooth clothing colored in graphite green, he hid in that corner behind a bush. Quietly, patiently he waited.

 

Nobody saw him. Nobody would pay attention to this part of the royal garden. From that corner he could see the marble staircase leading to His Majesty’s quarter. He would know when His Majesty left.

 

He would know when the time came.

 

Gentle sunlight showered onto that glamorous building, which was now gleaming a faint glow. This early in the morning it was very quiet. The soothing peace was caressing every corner of the palace.

 

He drew a deep breath. The air was sweet.

 

His eyes widened when the dark robed figure gracefully descended the marble white staircase. He couldn’t help but gasped in awe. No joke. That alluring figure outshone everything; the white that staircase was sparkling, the glow that glamorous building was giving out. Sunlight falling on the dark robe was simply bounced back and taken over by a more blinding, dazzling black.

 

No wonder Eunhyuk His Majesty could claim so many victims.

 

He pursed his lips and closed his eyes, striving to suppress the ache starting to surface in his heart.

 

Tightening his jaw and clenching his fists he got up, not allowing himself to think any further. Like fluid his body flowed from where he used to hide, up the marble white stairs, down the familiar corridor to the door of His Majesty’s chamber.

 

He didn’t have much time. He had to act fast. Looking around, making sure nobody had discovered him; skillfully he clasped his hand over the door handle and silently edged it open. Swiftly he slipped in.

 

His eyes swept across the chamber, trying to locate what he was looking for. He choked and froze upon seeing what he didn’t expect. His heart started beating fast. Instinctively he summoned a sword into his hand.

 

There’s somebody else in the chamber. He didn’t expect this.

 

He examined this somebody else, who was obviously more startled and clueless compared to himself. Shocked. Flustered. Shamed. Scared. Handsome face. Charming eyes. Beautiful lips. Elegant cheeks flaring a tint of pink. Disheveled hair the outcome of sheer, lust-filled pleasure its owner was granted the previous evening.

 

Bitterness soaked his tongue. His lips curled. He sneered. Well well… Your Majesty…

 

All of a sudden hatred darted out of his eyes. He dashed towards Donghae, sword in his hand.

 

Fear washed over Donghae when he saw the unknown visitor lunge towards him, tip of his sword flashing the coldness of death. Donghae had received very basic alchemistic combat trainings. But he was by no means a fighter. Not to mention his opponent was once termed the world’s best alchemist.

 

Actually Jiro didn’t hate Donghae that much that he wanted to kill the latter. Jiro hated that Eunhyuk His Majesty had somehow betrayed that person. And Donghae seemed to be the one causing it. Originally Jiro was planning to steal the magic scriptures about Sirek for Mina. But the plan had changed. What Jiro wanted now was to abduct Donghae, which would give him the necessary chips to negotiate with Eunhyuk His Majesty.

 

In the blink of an eye Jiro was only a few feet away from Donghae.

 

Donghae shivered and closed his eyes. He was sweating all over. Reflexively he clapped his hands together. And then he heard the door bang open.

 

……

 

When Donghae opened his eyes again he saw Kyuhyun fighting Jiro.

 

Swords of the 2 had blended into a blur of motions. In Donghae’s eyes Jiro was like a phantom, whose apparition kept flickering here and there (he had no idea about the transportation stone).

 

And Kyuhyun was like a catcher or exorcist. His sword turned into whips or robes like snakes, clutching the other’s ankles or wrists, trapping Jiro and forcing him to go the other way. Multiple times Jiro attempted to go Donghae’s direction, every time buzzing sounds would echo loudly in the room and Jiro’s movements were hindered.

 

If Jiro was trying to kill Donghae, Kyuhyun would have just let him. Nevertheless it didn’t take Kyuhyun much to guess what Jiro had in mind. Kyuhyun couldn’t let that happen. He couldn’t let Donghae fall into the hands of Jiro. He couldn’t let the weakness of His Majesty be realized.

 

As time went by Jiro was getting impatient. All he wanted was to take Donghae’s hand and trigger the mechanism of the transportation stone. The harder Kyuhyun tried to stop him, the more Jiro was certain about Donghae’s value. Determined Jiro suddenly appeared behind Kyuhyun and his sword forward, forcing Kyuhyun to retreat. That earned him a few seconds to spend.

 

Jiro didn’t waste those hard earned seconds. The next instant he was behind Donghae. If Kyuhyun was to stop him, Kyuhyun had to get around Donghae who’s now between the 2.

 

Smirk on his face Jiro extended his hand to grab Donghae’s. Donghae tried to move away but Jiro was faster. Just when Jiro’s hand was about to touch Donghae’s, Donghae found a rope wind around his chest. The next thing Donghae knew was he’s sent flying and landed heavily in the opposite corner of the room. Swiftly Kyuhyun came to stand in front of Donghae, facing Jiro.

 

Both Kyuhyun and Jiro tightened their grips on their swords, preparing to get on with the fight… when all of a sudden the atmosphere changed.

 

……

 

Eunhyuk His Majesty entered his chamber.

 

That settled everything.

 

Jiro, frustrated, narrowed his eyes and clenched his jaw. Blinding light shone. Much to Donghae’s surprise, Jiro vanished.

 

……

 

His Majesty turned to look at Donghae, feeling relieved that Donghae was there. In return, meeting His Majesty’s gaze Donghae timidly looked down. And His Majesty had to strive hard not to smile upon taking in that lovely sight.

 

Steps of His Majesty echoed in the chamber. Authority accompanied his every stride. Upon reaching the middle of the room, Eunhyuk halted.

 

Chills descended upon the place.

 

“Kyuhyun.” His back facing Kyuhyun, His Majesty spoke.

 

“Yes Your Majesty.” Kyuhyun didn’t know what to expect… but there’s no mistaking the chills.

 

“You should better train your assassins. Why would one report seeing Jiro at the palace gate while the fight actually took place in my very own chamber?” His Majesty turned around.

 

Kyuhyun tensed.

 

Eunhyuk eyed Kyuhyun for some time. “And what is this?” Stepping aside, His Majesty revealed what he had discovered. A letter sealed with wax was lying on the tile on which His Majesty was previously stepping.

 

Raising his hand, with magic His Majesty lifted the letter from the floor.

 

Abruptly Kyuhyun fell down on his knees. “No Your Majesty!”

 

Eunhyuk tilted his head and stared into Kyuhyun’s eyes, making Kyuhyun shiver.

 

Nevertheless the royal alchemist had to finish his sentence, despite his unsteady voice. “D… Don’t open… it…”

 

Kyuhyun looked down. His Majesty stared at the letter now floating above his palm. When he saw what’s actually inside, Eunhyuk inhaled sharply. He himself had plotted countless plots. Immediately Eunhyuk knew what Kyuhyun was originally planning.

 

Raising his voice His Majesty demanded and glared at his royal alchemist. “Should I command you to open it then?”

 

Kyuhyun didn’t answer. He kept looking at the floor, lips tightened.

 

Eunhyuk closed his eyes. It pained him. Really. Kyuhyun…

 

Voice of His Majesty turned soft. “Donghae. Go back to your room.”

 

Donghae didn’t know what’s going on. It seemed His Majesty was angry with Kyuhyun. But why? “Your Majesty. Lord Kyuhyun… saved me…”

 

Eunhyuk took a deep breath and opened his eyes. When he spoke his eyes didn’t leave Kyuhyun. “I know. And do I have to repeat myself?”

 

Though bewildered, Donghae obliged. Hesitantly he walked towards the door, turning his head to look at the other 2 from time to time.

 

When Donghae had left and the door was closed, His Majesty commanded. “Look at me Kyuhyun.”

 

Kyuhyun didn’t move.

 

Eunhyuk clenched his fists. How dared his royal alchemist disobey him again? He couldn’t believe his most trusted and most loyal servant had just betrayed him, had just plotted a scheme right under his nose. For so many years Kyuhyun had been following him, not uttering a complaint, not doubting, not questioning. It took a lot to build the trust. And after so many years of mutual trust, was he losing Kyuhyun?

 

His heart ached. Disappointment and frustration pulled it further down.

 

His Majesty repeated. “Look at me Kyuhyun.”

 

Kyuhyun again didn’t move. However this time His Majesty saw… that Kyuhyun was slightly trembling.

 

The royal alchemist was shedding tears. That’s why he didn’t look up at His Majesty.

 

“I… beg you… Your… Majesty…” Kyuhyun pressed his palms onto the floor; and trembled even more.

 

Eunhyuk frowned.

 

“H… He… cast magic… I… I saw it…” Kyuhyun’s shoulders dropped. Finally Kyuhyun looked up with teary eyes.

 

Eunhyuk’s eyes widened upon meeting Kyuhyun’s. Not to mention Kyuhyun wouldn’t lie to His Majesty, knowing that’s simply not possible. What startled Eunhyuk were the desperation and fear and worries shooting out of those eyes. It’s all for His Majesty. Kyuhyun didn’t care about anything else… his own life the least among those…

 

……

 

Donghae thought Kyuhyun saved him from Jiro. That’s 50% the case.

 

His eyes closed, Donghae himself didn’t realize. That’s his basic instinct. While Jiro was dashing towards him Donghae panicked. The soundly sleeping magical current was woken up. Clapping his hands together the circuit was set in place and magic surged.

 

When Kyuhyun stepped into the chamber he saw a flash and a transparent white shield materialize in front of Donghae. That lasted for only a split second, causing Jiro to halt and giving Kyuhyun the chance to attack.

 

It would still take some time before Donghae remembered how to consciously call upon his magic and cast whatever spells he knew. Nevertheless… with every tick of the second the threat was getting bigger…

 

……

 

Slowly His Majesty came to help Kyuhyun to his feet. “Kyuhyun. Even if he remembers, you know he’s no match against me.”

 

Kyuhyun’s fingers dug into His Majesty’s forearms. He was still trembling. “Your Majesty. W… When the moment… comes, will… you… c… can you still… kill… him…?”

 

Kyuhyun looked up at His Majesty… who gave no answer…

 

……

 

On his way back to his own room, Donghae was feeling helpless and upset. He didn’t know who that unexpected visitor was. And he felt like he did something wrong. He couldn’t quite put it but he somehow knew he’s the reason why His Majesty and Lord Kyuhyun were not on good terms.

 

He didn’t like this. As he entered his room Donghae was still deep in thoughts.

 

He jumped when a hand patted his shoulder. Turning around he saw the face of that unexpected visitor, wearing an evil grin…

 

Donghae gasped. Blinding light shone…

 

 

-------------------------

A/N: Expect the unexpected. I decided to work on this story first as it hit me first. I will update DYD soon~~~

A/N2: Expect the unexpected! Something originally not planned has just taken place in the fic!!! I'm getting more and more excited working on this fic since it continues to surprise me!!!

A/N3: I have decided to throw the original plot to trash and let the story go wherever it wants!!! Join the adventure w me!!! ^_^