Caught in a Lie

A Foreigner in Danger
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

JASMINE’S POV

“Can you trust me? You do still love me, your Taetae?”

“I trust you Taetae. Of course I love you, but...”

“But what...?”

“But...Ya – Taehyung...stop...don’t...hajima...please! STOP! Let go of me! Ya!”

“If you can’t be mine, then you can’t be anyone’s...”

My eyes jerked open as I heard the front gate clang shut.

Thank God it was just a dream.

I heard raised voices, it was Taewon.

I must’ve fallen asleep on the couch whilst watching television as I fast paced to the door.

“What’s going on out there?” Appa asked nodding to the door.

He came out of the kitchen with a confused Seojun by his side as I shrugged my shoulders, oblivious to why Taewon and Taehee were arguing so loudly.

“Taehyung took them out and...”

I drifted off when I saw Taewon viciously dragging Taehee away by the arm as Taehyung grabbed her back and was trying to calm Taewon down.

I exchanged worried looks with Appa as Seojun ran over to Taewon, trying to calm him down too.

Something or someone had really pissed my son off.

“Stop it! Let – go – of – me! Appa!” Taehee yelped as Taewon let go of her and she ran into Taehyung’s open arms.

“Fine. You go with him, live with him, go on! He’s a liar! Everything he’s said is a lie! Ya, he’s a professional actor and earns billions of dollars, why would he have any interest in you?! Huh?”

“Taewonah, listen to me, please-”

Taehyung took Taewon forcefully by the shoulders and started reading his eyes as Taewon looked away angrily and pushed him away roughly.

“Taewon!” I ran down the stone steps angrily, what the hell had just happened?

Only this morning they were all so delighted in each other’s presence.

Taehyung had been taking the twins out every other day; he’d publicly accepted them as his children yet ignored any questions the media asked about who the Mother is.

What could’ve happened that Taewon got so angry all of a sudden?

I felt Appa standing behind me protectively as Seojun turned to us with dismay, he couldn’t get Taewon to calm down and I smiled at him for his amicable efforts.

I met Taehyung’s eyes as they looked distant and sad at the sight of his son rejecting him.

My eyes dropped to Taehyung’s face and body as I went red, he was strikingly handsome and his demeanour never fails to send sparks shooting through me.

“Kim Taewon, how dare you talk to your Father like that?” Appa questioned calmly, yet firmly as everyone went silent.

“I – I’m sorry for creating so much noise but I – I don’t want to see him again,” Taewon said quietly as my eyes widened, I briefly darted them to Taehyung who looked destroyed.

“This is not how I’ve raised you Kim Taewon. What happened, speak like a grown up,” I said through clenched teeth.

I know how sensitive Taehyung is when it comes to family, especially his children.

There was a brief silence, before Taehee spoke loudly, “Eomma, Taewon’s being an idiot. He’s been so rude to Appa who’s only ever been amazing to him! He’s so ungrateful and always ruins everything!”

I turned to Taehee and noticed she had her hand wrapped in Taehyung’s who was squeezing it tightly.

I’m so glad that Taehee dotes over her Dad so much; he needs this love and support like never before.

“Ha! Taehee, you’re living a dream little sister. After fourteen years, fourteen years! Now he wants to play happy families! He left Mum, he’s never even made an effort to see us or even send one birthday card, he’s never loved us and now, because it makes him look good in the public eye, he strolls around with us everywhere! Pathetic!”

My mouth dropped open as Appa stepped forward and dangerously stopped inches from Taewon who staggered back.

Regardless of time, Appa has always been a traditionalist when it comes to respecting parents, and I know his blood is boiling right now.

Taehyung quickly stepped forward and placed a hand on Appa’s forearm to calm him down.

“Samchon, it’s okay. Taewonah, say whatever you want. Let it all out today,” Taehyung said warmly as Taewon stared at him questioningly before shaking his head and turning to me.

I stared at Taewon with disappointment, I can understand how he feels but I thought I taught him better than to act like this in front of everyone.

“Eomma, I refuse to believe he’s our Appa. I-”

I put a firm hand on his shoulder and cut him off, “That’s enough Taewon. Get inside, now.”

Taewon shrugged his shoulder back and looked at me with despair as I saw Taehee clinging on to Taehyung reassuringly.

“Eomma! He – he wants us to move in with him! How is that even possible?”

I frowned at Taehyung, we’d already discussed this and agreed that it was too soon to drop this bomb on the twins, but as always, Taehyung did what he felt like doing.

I sighed and turned back to a fuming Taewon, “We are both your parents. Don’t you want us to live under the same roof?”

Taewon laughed maniacally as I blinked twice, Taehyung laughs exactly like this when he’s beyond angry.

“Under the same roof? You have to be kidding me. Ya Seojun hyung, do you hear this?”

“Taewon, that’s enough, gaja-” Seojun tried stepping in, but Taewon ignored him.

“My Mum wants me to move in with a stranger! He isn’t my Dad; he isn’t even close to being a friend! He only wants this because of you! He wants to use you again like he did all those years ago! When you get pregnant again, he’ll run away!”

Blood boiled through all my veins and my jaws were grinding rapidly against each other as I didn’t realise what I did until I heard the echoing sound and a shocked gasp.

I closed my eyes and opened them as Taewon’s head was turned to the side, his hand covering his cheek as his angelic features were distorted with utter disbelief.

My eyes widened as my hands started shaking, did I just...

No...I’m not like that; I’d never lay a finger on my babies.

“Ya, Minnie!” Taehyung shouted.

He ran over to Taewon who let himself fall into Taehyung’s arms before he staggered forward, both of them staring at me with their wide, hooded eyes.

“Taewonah...” Taehee trailed off as she too ran over and shook Taewon by his hand, but he was limp, he still couldn’t believe what I did.

I felt sick; vomit was forming in the back of my throat.

I felt dizzy.

“I – I’m sorry...I...”

I turned away from everyone and stepped back, ignoring Appa trying to meet my eye.

Everything was moving slowly as I saw Taehyung glare at me with a cold expression, ya, was he turning on me?

No, it can’t be.

I shook my head and Taehyung’s eyes were large and warm, but his arms were still wrapped tightly around his children.

“Gomo, let’s go inside. Ya guys! Appa has slapped me up much worse! It’s no big deal haha...” Seojun’s voice rang through my ears as I stepped back further in our front garden; I had become evil in Taewon’s eyes.

He’ll never forgive me.

When you share infinite love with someone, the hurt they cause is the most painful.

Ignoring Appa and Seojun, I my heel and ran out of our black, metal gates, all the way down the hill, past all the traditional houses, past the park, until I reached the forest.

I didn’t hesitate once as I pushed open the gates and ran down the pebbled pathway, through the tall oak and cherry blossom trees and spiralling bushes, over the crunching leaves and twigs until my knees gave way and I couldn’t run any more.

I took deep breaths of fresh air and stopped in front of the small forest lake which was decorated with water reeds and flowers as I dropped to my knees.

This place grew up with me.

This forest was the only vivid memory of my childhood and this lake brought so much happiness to my perfect world which only crumbled in front of my eyes.

I let my head fall in my hands as I started weeping uncontrollably, at least no one could hear my pathetic crying in here.

I was safe for now, only the forest was listening to my sobbing and sniffling as my arms soon became drenched with tears.

After a while of gazing into the soft ripples of water with swollen eyes, I sniffed and rolled down on my back so I was staring at the light blue Daegu sky, the tall trees creating a beautiful green border.

I rolled to my side as my long hair was caressing the soft grass around me.

Biseulsan Forest, you will always have a special place in my heart.

I instantly sat up when I saw a familiar figure sitting on the lakeside bench in a denim shirt and ripped black skinny jeans, showing off his extremely toned leg muscles.

How long was he sitting there for?

Did he hear me crying?

Ya, this was so awkward and yet...yet something in my heart was content knowing that he was here to comfort me like always.

Just as I was about to get up, he spoke.

“Did Taehyung hurt you?”

His voice forced my eyes to close and travel back in time.

Ever since I’d come back after fourteen years, I hadn’t spoken to Jimin properly and hearing him say that made me think of the promise he made to me after graduation.

“I’ll always be waiting for you. You were my first and last love...”

I sniffed and opened my eyes, Jimin was looking into the lake and I couldn’t see his eyes properly as they were covered by a black cap.

Before I knew it, my feet took me over to where he was sitting as I hovered over the empty space next to him.

“Don’t you even want to sit next to me anymore?”

My whole face was swollen as I looked at Jimin, his voice had hardened and his thick lips were pursed with irritation, yet he was concealing it the best he could.

I slid down next to him, leaving a person sized gap between us as there was an awkward silence before we both sighed simultaneously.

There was another silence after that, until Jimin spoke gently, “Do you want to talk about it?”

I sniffed and turned my head to Jimin, whose face was still fixed on the glistening lake as he turned slowly to me.

He ever so mildly lifted his cap up as my eyes immediately found his puffy ones, they were filled to the brim with warmth and not even fourteen years could change them.

I found myself speaking before he could prompt me further, “It’s nothing. I mean...it’s been so hard...life has been so hard alone...”

At this point, I was looking down and fiddling with my fingers as I felt Jimin slide closer to me, lifting his cap up and giving me his full attention.

I don’t even know what I said, but it sounded pathetic and stupid.

“Gwenchanha, it’s only me. It’s only Jiminie,” he assured me softly.

I let more hair drop over my face to cover the sad smile, but Jimin gently placed some of my hair behind my ears.

I closed my eyes and carried on, “The first five years were the worst. Ya, they dragged on and I was in and out of clinical depression. E-everyone was even contemplating admitting me to rehab, but life went on...and...and now that I’m finally back...I still feel alone even though everyone’s around me.”

There was a brief silence before Jimin spoke, “I’m sorry for being so selfish, I didn’t even try to contact you...but we knew you were okay, Yoongi hyung was always telling us you were okay...he even showed us a few pictures-”

I cut Jimin off quickly, “Yoongi...? I thought it was only him...”

“I’m sorry you didn’t know, but believe me, we couldn’t concentrate properly without knowing you were doing well and-”

I cut him off again but with anger, “And you never told Taehyung?! All of you knew I was living with his children and never told Taehyung, even after you debuted?”

Jimin’s eyes widened, “Why would we? It would waste the whole purpose to why you left in the first place! You didn’t want him to know! Minnie, what did you want us to do?!”

We were both staring at each other with misplaced anger before Jimin dropped it first and smiled at me.

“At least you still have that same spark in you. I was scared we might all have to enrol in High School again,” Jimin chuckled as he lifted his cap and brushed his deep red hair back.

I stared at him and sighed, my mind still on what just happened with Taewon.

“I’m so glad at the time Taehyung spends with the twins, but...but he’s forgotten all about me.”

Jimin tilted his head back in shock, “Don’t say that Minnie. All he ever does is think of you, even his schedule is being affected due to the amount of time he takes out to see Taewon and Taehee.”

“Yeah I know but...”

I nodded my head slowly as Jimin put his arm behind my back comfortingly, “I’ve always been your counsellor, why do I feel like we are still in school uniform?”

I laughed for the first time today and met Jimin’s eyes as we both burst out in a fit of laughter.

It felt so good to let go of everything like this!

“Ai jinja...” I hiccupped, covering my aching belly as Jimin was doing the same before I realised he was glowing with happiness.

I lifted my hand to touch his glowing skin before I recoiled it, what was I doing?

Jimin was oblivious to my hand action as he leaned his neck back and looked into the sky.

“Seriously though, I don’t mind sitting here all night listening to your voice. Just pour your heart out and Park Jimin will always listen. As an idol, everyone always expects me to open up about my life, but I rarely get a chance to listen to a true friend. It’s refreshing.”

I playfully took his cap off his hair as he failed to get it back, before I cawed at his pout.

“How’s idol life? I mean, it’s a bit late to ask but, are you truly as happy as you seem?”

Jimin turned to look at the sky as I gazed at his side profile, already knowing the answer.

“I love every single moment of the stage, it’s where I can express myself the most. I love every single ARMY and I love all their support and hearts, but when that curtain drops, when the fan signs are over, when it’s just me and the sound of the hotel room silence or running shower water and steam, a deep feeling of loneliness engulfs me. It’s pretty scary.”

My eyes never left Jimin’s face once as I was touched by his deep words.

“It looks so glam and perfect on the outside, but that inner loneliness is the worst,” I said quietly as Jimin nodded in agreement.

“I guess we understand each other’s loneliness,” Jimin said as I nodded and leant my head on his firm shoulder.

Our silence was complemented by the sound of crickets and water ripples, before Jimin spoke again.

“Why were you crying?”

I sighed and was dragged back into reality, “I – I slapped Taewon for something he said. Everyone was so shocked and I hated myself for it. It’s funny how everything that happened with me and Appa is happening with me and my children.”

Jimin paused before he spoke, “Everyone makes mistakes Minnie. Taewon is very much like Taehyung and maybe if Taehyung got a few slaps here and there, he wouldn’t be so rebellious.”

I turned to look at Jimin as he looked at me with innocent eyes before we both started laughing like children again.

“You should’ve slapped Taehyung,” I chuckled as Jimin tutted.

“He’s always been much taller than me, I would’ve failed miserably.”

“Ya, that’s so true! Haha I think you stopped growing on your 9th birthday!”

Jimin flicked my head playfully before he gasped, “Ya! It’s your birthday next week!”

I face palmed myself, I was hoping no one would remember, but nothing passes Jimin.

“Huh? Oh...yeah I don’t really celebrate my birthday anymore. The twins’ birthday is more important. Have you heard from Krystal? She’s-”

Jimin cut me off angrily, “Eh-he! Don’t change the subject! Make sure you’re free that day, I need to remind you how important the day you were born really is.”

I sniggered, “Aish whatever.”

Jimin pushed my head of his shoulder, “I’m serious Minnie. Don’t make other plans that evening.”

I a bit more, but realised that he was actually being serious as his chubby cheeks rounded with annoyance.

“Okay okay, if it makes you flash me your real eye smile then I’ll make sure to be free that evening. Happy?”

 Jimin immediately flashed me his eye smile as I pinched his button nose.

“I’m so glad to have you back Park Jimin.”

Jimin laughed loudly, “Taewon and Taehee are glad to have BTS’ Jimin too, you have competition.”

I cut my eyes, “Taehee has Taehyung now...and yeah, you do get along pretty well with Taewon! He’s never acted like that around any guy my age before, well done Jiminie.”

Jimin beamed at the sound of that nickname, “And this Jiminie loves those twins like my own flesh. Ya Minnie, look after Taehee especially more though. She’s very sensitive and doesn’t show how she really feels. She can relate with Taetae a lot and so needs both your support.”

I nodded slowly, “She’s even got a weaker heart than Taewon. Um... Jimin, am I a bad mother?”

Jimin instantly furrowed his brows, “For someone whose singlehandedly raised two children as a single parent for fourteen years and those children have become so well-mannered, clever and healthy...You aren’t just a bad mother, you’re a terrible one for even doubting yourself!”

“Yaaa, what a cheesy reply!”

“Yeah but it made you smile and that’s all that matters.”

I couldn’t help but smirk, before I looked around and saw the sky subtly changing colour.

Before I could even speak, Jimin said what was on my mind.

“Let’s get you home then, everyone’s probably worried sick. Don’t worry about Taewon, I’ll try and speak to him man to man. Oh and Krystal’s filming a Japanese reality show so doesn’t have her phone with her.”

“Ahhhh, that’s why she hasn’t been picking up any of my calls! Ya, a reality show? Which one? When? That cow hasn’t updated me on anything since last year!”

Jimin chuckled, “You sound like a fan. Don’t worry, I’ll arrange for you two to speak in a couple of weeks. She’s stopping off in Seoul for a meeting before she goes back to Kobe, so you can catch up then.”

I stared gratefully at Jimin, how can someone still be so selfless after so long?

Anyone else would have the biggest ego in the world; the amount of worldwide success Jimin has generated would even make the humblest child arrogant.

“What?” Jimin put his face mask on, noticing I was staring at him as we walked out of the forest together.

I shook my head from weird thoughts and concentrated on the ground.

“It’s always good to have my best friend back.”

Jimin nodded slowly, “Ppalli, the sun is setting soon. I need to apologise to Halmeouni too, she must think so bad of me.”

We strolled up the hill together as the street lights automatically came on, lighting our way back home.

********************

TAEHYUNG’S POV

“Who wants ice cream?!” I yelled excitedly to Taewon and Taehee who just finished their candy floss from the E-World stall.

It was now 4 pm and all day, I’d been putting so much effort to try and make my children spend happy moments with their father.

E-World has always been mine and Minnie’s favourite theme park in Daegu, so naturally the twins loved all the rides and arcades too.

It was a Saturday and there were so many families and teenage couples, even when I had my face covered, loads of people still recognised me and I know tomorrow will be a day of questioning by the media and managers.

But I don’t care, as long as my family is happy.

I don’t care for what others have to say anyway.

I had my first treatment yesterday and it went well, I haven’t even been getting angry lately.

Every time I get close to anger, Taehee is always there to hold my hand and so I can never let her leave my sight under any circumstances.

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter