Prom

A Foreigner in Danger
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

“Yes, it’s finally all over! Exams are finished!”

“Partyyyyy tiimmmme!”

“Life can’t get any better, it’s all over! I can see our debut in front of my eyes already!”

“Mnet countdown here we come!”

“Omo what did you put for question 2?”

“Ya forget it, we finally finished school! We are done with the kid life!”

“Minnie! Let’s celebrate!”

I looked up and saw Krystal dragging my arm excitedly to a large group of students who were all heading out to town, exams were finally over.

I smiled at Krystal weakly, I was also excited that exams were finally over but my belly was killing me right now and I knew my daily dose of morning vomit was expected.

“What’s wrong?” Krystal dropped to my side as the students were making excessive hooting noises out of school, some even had party poppers.

I looked up at the school building and saw younger students leaning out of the windows, pointing and taking pictures of the celebrating students who would be idols soon.

I turned to Krystal, “I don’t feel too good. You go on, I’ll catch up later.”

Krystal shook her head, “I’m not leaving you alone. Gaja let’s go to the toilet, I need to fix my hair as well.”

I smiled and nodded as Krystal rubbed my back in circles.

After I finished vomiting out my breakfast, I looked up to see Krystal take out some pills from her bag and reading the label.

We went to the doctors in Seoul yesterday and they prescribed some special pills for me to help with the pregnancy which would only heighten from now.

They said my stomach would start growing by the end of the month and my pains would only get worse, but I was prepared, I wanted my baby to be born no matter what.

She passed me two pills and opened a small bottle of mineral water for me as I swallowed them.

“How are you feeling now?” Krystal asked a few minutes later.

“I don’t know, I guess I do feel a bit better. My belly isn’t hurting anymore,” I replied.

Krystal laughed and took my hand, “Come on then! Let’s celebrate the end of exams with good food, ya I know a great barbecue place in town.”

I grinned and picked up my bag as we left the toilets and walked down the corridor, it was a beautiful day outside and there weren’t any clouds in the light blue Daegu sky.

Whilst we were messing around, we didn’t notice Mr Wang approach us.

“Song Jasmine, you and Park Jimin need to see me at the end of this period,” he said, trying to balance the pile of textbooks he was carrying.

Today, his hair was surprisingly a normal shade of brown and he wasn’t wearing any glasses.

“Sir, why do you look so normal?” Krystal teased as Mr Wang chuckled.

 “Sometimes I like to change things up a bit,” he replied as a book fell from the pile.

I picked it up, “We’ll help you carry those.”

“No no, it’s alright. You two get off and enjoy your day, celebrate the end of exams. But I need to see both you and Park Jimin before lunchtime,” he told us as he picked up his pace down the corridor.

“Why?” I replied as Mr Wang raised his eyebrows.

“I’ve reduced the student teacher boundaries too much, ya I’ll tell you when you both see me!” He tried to sound stern but Krystal burst out laughing.

“No you haven’t sir! Your one of the coolest teachers around! Ya are you going on a date today?” She winked as Mr Wang started blushing.

He balanced the pile of books on one arm before he took one off and lightly swatted Krystal, “Get out of here before I tell your company what I saw you and Kai doing on the weekend.”

Krystal blushed and coughed awkwardly as she dragged me away.

I laughed and nudged Mr Wang, “What did you see them doing sir?”

He gave me a stern look before swatting my head with a textbook, “Both of you get out of here! Make sure you bring Jimin too!”

Krystal took my arm and waved to Mr Wang as we started pacing down the ground floor corridor.

A lump formed in the back of my throat, fat chance he’ll even be in school right now.

He’s probably with Irene, doing goodness knows what as exams are finally over.

“He’s with everyone else in town, where we should be,” Krystal read my mind as I nodded slowly.

Just as we were about to leave through the main doors, a tannoy announcement was being made.

“Song Jasmine report to Gyojang Yi’s office now. Thank you.”

I exchanged worried looks with Krystal as she prodded me and turned me around, trying to go with me to Gyojang’s office.

I put my hand out to stop her, “Wait for me in town; I’ll make my own way there. It’s okay, I’ll be fine.”

“Are you sure?”

I nodded and poked her, “I’m sure. Go!”

She pecked my cheek and told me she’ll call me in twenty minutes as I nodded, trying to get her to enjoy these precious moments.

Both Krystal and Kai aren’t allowed to be seen together in public, so I knew Krystal really wanted to celebrate the end of exams with Kai whilst she could as this would be an acceptable excuse for both their companies and the media.

Just because my relationship isn’t working out with Taehyung, there’s no way that I’ll let Krystal’s suffer with Kai.

Ah Taehyung...

Why did everything have to turn out like this?

I honestly don’t know what to feel anymore and I don’t even know who my heart belongs to anymore.

I get dangerously jealous when I see Jimin with Irene, but I become so irritable and impatient when I don’t know the whereabouts of Taehyung.

Since I saw him last week with Manse, my heart has been calmer knowing that he’s still healthy and doing well.

A small part of me still wants to throw the past away and build a bright future with Taehyung, but a larger part of me knows that it’s near enough impossible.

I realised my thoughts had taken my feet over to Gyojang’s office as I knocked on his door.

“Come in,” he said loudly as I slowly opened the door.

I stepped in and saw he wasn’t alone.

“Ah, here she is. Our blossoming flower, Song Jasmine!” Gyojang introduced me excitedly as I bowed to the other man.

He was middle aged and was dressed in a grey expensive suit with frameless glasses and combed over hair and had an important aura, he was definitely someone very respectable.

The man gave me a half smile and started analysing my expression with a tilted head as Gyojang told me to sit down.

I recognised the man from somewhere; I’d seen him before when we were all applying for universities.

“I’m sure you know who he is. This is President Sung Nakin of Seoul National University,” Gyojang said proudly as my eyes widened and I started nodding quickly.

I had applied for Seoul National University and desperately wanted to go, it was the most prestigious university in the whole country and globally renowned for its immaculate education.

They only accepted one hundred students each year and apart from those students who would debut as idols, everyone else was fighting for a space at this university by doing some sort of unusual extracurricular activity.

“It’s a pleasure meeting you,” I replied nervously as President Sung chuckled.

“The pleasure’s all mine. Who’s going to tell her, me or you?” He asked Gyojang Yi who had a stretched smile across his face.

Gyojang chuckled, “I’ll let you do the honour.”

President Sung nodded and got up whilst pacing the room with his hands behind his back.

“We at Seoul National University don’t just take on any student with perfect grades; ninety per cent of South Korean students achieve outstanding grades every year. We look for something more, to stand out from the other universities we need something greater than academic excellence.”

My eyes were following his every move; this felt like a motivational speech that people would pay thousands of dollars for.

He carried on, “Let me not make this too long. Before we even received your application, we were interested in you based on your family background, your talent on the basketball court and most recently, a few controversial headlines surrounding you.”

There was a silence as I looked down at my fingers and Gyojang cleared his throat awkwardly.

President Sung laughed once, “We are looking for a student like you Song Jasmine. Your excellent bilingual English and Korean skills, alongside your talent in basketball have compelled us to offer you a scholarship for humanities and sport at our university.”

It took me a few seconds to absorb what he just said.

I must be dreaming.

This isn’t real; my life has never done me good like this.

I didn’t know what to say as I was still trying to shake myself from this beautiful dream.

“I don’t think she can believe her ears,” Gyojang laughed as I closed my eyes.

Something happy was finally happening to me after so long, something for which I could live life in pride, I could finally hold my head high and my family would be so proud...

I pinched myself and opened my eyes, I wasn’t dreaming.

A huge smile crept up on my face as I felt jingles of excitement spread across my body.

I looked from Gyojang to the president as they were awaiting a reply.

“This is real, right? I mean there aren’t any tricks or anything?” I stammered.

“You have until the end of June to reply-”

“I want it. I’ve made my decision now, I’ll take the scholarship!” I jumped up excitedly, before meeting Gyojang’s stern eyes telling me to sit down.

“It’s only natural to be excited. In that case, I’ll leave the forms with Gyojang Yi and I trust he’ll bring your parents in on this as well. You should be proud of yourself and I look forward to having you in my university next year,” the President informed me with a smile.

I bowed and couldn’t stop the excitement on my face; I wanted this more than anything else.

“We’ll keep you updated Jasmine. For now, off you trot, celebrate the end of exams,” Gyojang smiled at me as I stood up and bowed.

“Thank you so much for this opportunity President Sung; I’ll work very hard and do my best not to let you down!”

I bowed again as I did a little spin to pick my bag up and shut the door quietly behind me before I jumped up as high as I could and ran down the corridor.

I opened the window at the far end of the corridor and let out a loud scream of joy and happiness which scared off some birds and made students jump and turn back as I waved to them with open arms.

I was so happy and nothing could get me upset today.

Just then, the bell for the end of period rang as I remembered Mr Wang wanted to see me and Jimin.

Ya, where was I going to find this boy?

I tried to call him first, but he wasn’t answering, it was all going straight to voicemail.

After five minutes of lingering around in the corridor and smiling at younger girls who were gawking at me, I decided to make my way to Mr Wang’s class alone, Jimin can come some other time with his girlfriend Irene.

As though fate was playing with me, as soon as I left the administration corridor, I saw Irene walking down the stairs alone.

I looked around and couldn’t see Jimin anywhere.

“Irene!” I called out as she turned back.

She stared at me for a second before resuming walking down the stairs.

I furrowed my eyebrows and walked towards her.

“Ya Irene, have you seen Jimin?”

She stopped and flicked her hair behind her shoulder before turning to face me with a wicked expression.

“Why don’t you leave him alone,” she said coldly as I tilted my head back in shock.

I ignored her and carried on, “Mr Wang needs to see the both of us. I don’t care-”

She cut me off and looked around, “I don’t think you heard me correctly. Leave Jimin alone. It’s been so hard trying to get his mind off you and whenever I manage, you always pop up out of nowhere! Stick to one guy.”

My eyes widened as I gulped and shook my head, I wasn’t pissed off, I was shocked that she thought of me in this way.

“Jimin is my best friend; we’ve known each other since we were kids. You can’t just come along and try to break our friendship up-”

She cut me off again, “You don’t understand. I love him, I’ve loved him since I came to this school and finally I have him...why do you want to take that away from me?”

I stepped back and stared at Irene.

She doesn’t love him, she can’t, she doesn’t know anything about him, she doesn’t know what makes him happy, she doesn’t know how to make him smile, to laugh...

I shook my head, “That’s none of my business. Just tell me if you’ve seen him, Mr Wang needs to see us urgently.”

“Well it has to wait; we’re going out right now so you go ahead on your own and tell me after. I’ll pass the message on.”

She folded her arms and I realised my blood was starting to heat up, how dare she try and stop me from talking to Jimin?

I locked my eyes with her and spoke dangerously, “Listen Irene. I don’t give two s where you and your ing boyfriend are going. You tell Jimin to come to Mr Wang’s classroom now or he’ll fail the coursework.”

I stared at her for a couple more seconds before I brushed my bangs back and my heel back to the landing. 

As I turned around, I saw Jimin standing there.

We exchanged eye contact before I dropped it and barged past his shoulder to get to the doors of the corridor.

I heard Irene say something quietly to Jimin before I realised there were footsteps rapidly approaching me.

I kept my head straight and blinked a few times as I felt a hand on my shoulder which I instantly shrugged off.

I led the way over to Mr Wang’s classroom as I felt Jimin strolling behind me.

Ignoring Jimin’s presence, I knocked on the door and went inside, letting the door close on Jimin.

“You were in a happy mood just an hour ago, what happened?” Mr Wang teased as I narrowed my eyes at him.

He coughed, “Both of you sit down.”

Jimin held open a chair for me, but I pushed it away roughly and sat on another desk.

After everything, he still wants to communicate with me, he wants to rub it in my face that he belongs to someone else but can still act like my friend.

Well it, he chose Irene over me.

He only followed me here because Irene told him to, she doesn’t want him to fail, apparently she claims to love him.

Mr Wang looked at both of us, “What’s the matter with you two? Both of you are usually the life of my class, ya you’ve just finished exams, smile at least!”

I glared at Mr Wang with folded arms.

“Why did you call me here sir?”

I looked at Jimin through my bangs with surprise.

He wasn’t wearing any makeup and his skin looked very smooth and dewy, his black hair was ruffled upwards, but he had a very straight face on and his eyes were narrowed and empty.

He’s never spoken like that to a teacher, he usually smiles and laughs at anything they say, but now he sounded very cold and rude.

“Hopefully this news will cheer the both of you up. We’ve marked all the citizenship projects and yours scored a perfect one hundred per cent!” Mr Wang said excitedly as I sat up.

I heard Jimin wobble in his chair, we were both shocked and surprised.

“Ya ya, that’s not all. The girl’s nursery you collected items for have become a national headline and they specially mentioned both of your names, you’ll both be receiving the young citizen award and the mayor himself will present it to you at the end of year graduation!”

Mr Wang slammed his desk in excitement as I immediately turned to Jimin who was already looking at me.

We both grinned and beamed at each other for a split second, before we dropped eye contact and looked away awkwardly.

I cleared my throat, “Are you being serious?”

Mr Wang rolled his eyes impatiently, “Why would I lie to you? Ya, your Halapoji will be very proud giving the award to his granddaughter!”

I smiled and couldn’t believe how well this day was going, so much good news that would change my life, destiny was being exceptionally kind to me.

Halapoji will be so proud; I’d not spoken to any of my family since Aunt Jeong dropped me and Jackson off at the station and so I didn’t know what was happening at home.

I heard that Jungkook’s Dad was gaining popularity for mayor again and Halapoji was busy in trying to win over the hearts of the public, but I didn’t know the inside story.

“But why was the nursery national news?” Jimin asked as I snapped out of my trailing thoughts.

Mr Wang laughed, “I thought you would already know, being in the entertainment industry and all. Your excellent professionalism and respect when asking homes in this area for donations triggered interest in the girl’s orphanage nursery. The girls have been scouted by companies to be child models, a couple of them have even been adopted by famous actors.”

My heart was expanding with love as I remembered how innocently pure and beautifu

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter