Danger

A Foreigner in Danger
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

“Put your pens down, the English exam is over.”

I ruffled my hair and pulled up my tights as I threw my pen down.

I took one final look at the answer paper before giving it to the invigilator who was collecting them, I was right at the front.

I turned to my left and saw Jimin still scribbling something down.

“Give me your paper now or you’ll be disqualified,” the middle aged lady warned Jimin as he was pleading for ten more seconds.

She called the male invigilator over, but Jimin quickly passed his paper to her with a shaky grin as she snatched it away and muttered a curse under her breath.

Jimin turned to me and I smiled wearily before realising he wasn’t actually looking at me, but looking past me.

I slowly turned to my right and saw Irene blushing as she twirled her hair behind her ear, and I turned my head back to see Jimin smiling childishly before he looked down at his feet.

I don’t know why rage built up in me, but I clenched my jaw and stared straight ahead, wanting to leave the exam hall as soon as possible.

He was my best friend, who was she?

She’s only known him for a year, I’ve known him my whole life, and he should’ve smiled at me.

When my row was finally dismissed, I grabbed my bag from the side and ran straight to the library where I knew there would be peace and quiet, away from fake friends.

As there were only two exams left and prom was next week, a lot of students had started dating or had come out as couples.

Jimin and Irene had gotten closer and although I was sort of happy for him, I couldn’t help but feel that I was gradually losing a friend.

And if he wasn’t speaking to me, he shouldn’t be speaking to other girls in the class either.

Don’t even ask about Taehyung.

The less I see of him the better and it was great that he hadn’t been coming into school.

After what happened, it would be impossible to feel happiness at the sight of Taehyung.

If I’m brutally honest, the thought of Taehyung scares me.

Knowing that he keeps company like Don Lee just proves he’s criminally minded, he’d do anything to get what he wants and it’s terrifying that he claims to love me.

He sits right at the back of the hall for exams, so I don’t know if he came in or not, but I don’t really care either.

Last night I had a nightmare about Taehyung and I woke up crying, I don’t know what I feel for him anymore.

They say that even if you’ve known someone forever, one thing or one moment can instantly change everything.

I found an empty table at the back of the library, where the sun was warmly glowing on and decided to rest my head there.

I must’ve dozed off because I opened my eyes to the sound of footsteps and buzzing conversation.

I lifted my head and saw a class was gathered on the computers around my table.

“Joesonghamnida,” I croaked to them as some smiled whilst others scowled at me.

They were a younger class and if I wasn’t so tired, I would’ve had a good handful of words to throw at them for their disrespect.

Just as I was about to leave the library to go to chemistry class, someone tapped me on my shoulder.

I turned and saw a smiling Chanyeol with his hands in his blazer pocket, gazing deeply at me with his smiley feline eyes.

“Do you always have to jump out of the blue to say hi?” I teased.

Chanyeol laughed and shook his head, “Mianhae. I uh, I wanted to apologise for asking you to prom in front of everyone.”

I looked down and nodded, “It’s okay, you don’t have to apologise for that.”

Chanyeol slid in front of me, blocking my path as I raised my eyebrows.

“If you don’t feel comfortable going to prom with me, I understand. But now it’s just me and you, you can tell me the truth,” Chanyeol mumbled.

“Why would I have lied about it before? I’m not the type of person to change around different people,” I replied back.

Chanyeol bended his knees so he was on the same level as me, “Well that’s a relief. I don’t want to be the reason why Taehyung gives you a hard time.”

I laughed out loud.

“Ya you don’t have to worry about him, we’ve broken up.”

Chanyeol’s eyes widened as he bit down on his lip, “Oh uh – that’s um-”

I cut him off with a smirk, “You don’t need to say anything. Are you even a good dancer that you want to go prom with me?”

“I’m one of the worst in EXO! But prom isn’t all about dancing; it’s about having a great time to end the year on. I want to end the school year with someone who I know will make me feel happy,” Chanyeol grinned.

“But we hardly know each other,” I brushed my hair back as he looked at me.

“I know what I need to know. Ya, you’re different to other girls.”

I raised my eyebrows and turned to him, “And how is that?”

“You’re genuine and you make me smile. Plus, your confidence is admirable, you’d make a good idol you know,” Chanyeol replied excitedly.

I shook my head, “You’re too kind but the idol life isn’t for me. How is your idol life going? I’ve seen EXO on so many shows already, you guys are brilliant!”

We started walking down the stairs to the science corridor as Chanyeol twirled in front of me to open the door.

“Lady first,” his deep voice said sweetly as I giggled.

He carried on, “Thank you Minnie. I can call you Minnie, right?”

I nodded.

“Honestly, being part of EXO is amazing. Words can’t describe how I feel on stage, but I just love seeing and hearing my fans scream for us!”

“That’s so daebak, there must be a lot of pressure though? Like I’ve seen your fans, they are so passionate about you guys...sometimes a bit wild haha.”

“Yeah all of it can get stressful at times...Ya! We have a KBS live performance next weekend; you should come and see us! I’ll take you after prom,” Chanyeol clapped his hands happily.

I couldn’t stop laughing at his excitement, “I’d never have known you were such a fun loving guy! Ya, why are you asking me to go everywhere with you?” 

Chanyeol rubbed the back of his neck, “I don’t know. You know there are some people who you just want to experience life with...I think I’ve found that in you.”

I blinked, there was honestly nothing too special about me.

“No one’s ever said that to me before,” I replied quietly as Chanyeol held another door open.

“That’s because no one’s like Park Chanyeol.”

We both paused at his terrible self praise, before bursting out into laughter.

I realised that one thing we both have in common is that we’ll laugh at everything openly, we had no shame when it came to rolling on the floor and clapping our hands with laughter.

It also felt really good laughing so carelessly with someone else, it felt rejuvenating knowing that I have people who choose to be in my company without personal motives or agendas.  

We were snorting as we entered class and failed to see Gyojang addressing everyone very seriously.

We froze and bowed several times.  

Chanyeol met my eyes and beckoned me to sit down as I tried to follow him, but was stopped by Gyojang’s arm.

“Wait outside,” he muttered to me as my face drained its colour and I walked back out of the open door.

He continued in a lower tone to the rest of the class.

“I’ll repeat myself again. If anyone knows the whereabouts of Kim Taehyung or has any idea where he may be, you must report to one of the teachers. Thank you for your patience Ssem, I’ll take my leave now.”

 My eyes widened as I quickly stepped back into the corridor so it looked like I wasn’t eavesdropping.

I knew Taehyung hadn’t come in all week, but surely it couldn’t be so serious that the principal has to announce it to the whole class?

Gyojang came out and closed the door behind him as his eyes fell on me.

“I see our conversation last time had no effect on you. I’ll have to speak to your father about your attendance.”

I gulped and looked up, “Sir I don’t live with my Dad. If you decide to bring him in, I won’t be here to welcome him.”

Gyojang raised his eyebrows, but I noticed his expression became a little warmer, “From what I know, you and Minjun are very close so it’s unfortunate to hear that.”

“How do you-”

He cut me off with a more serious expression, “I wouldn’t ask you this personally unless it was very important. As you know, Kim Taehyung hasn’t been coming into school lately. It’s not a first for him to do so but I’m worried for his safety.”

I stared at him plainly and shook my head, “I’m sorry I can’t be of much help, but I honestly don’t know where he is or even where he could be.”

Gyojang nodded slowly, “Very well then, get back to class.”

I bowed and was about to open the door before Gyojang spoke again with a distant voice.

“It’s a shame I only got to see you grow up for half a year, but I’ve seen Taehyung grow in front of my eyes. Rumour has it you two aren’t seeing eye to eye but please try and reach out to him; these companies overwork idols so much.”

I turned back and stared at him, he was genuinely smiling and looked years younger.

“Why are you speaking like this?” I asked quietly.

“I’m worried for him; he’s a very irrational boy and could do anything in anger. Just like his father...”

A lump formed in the back of my throat as I remembered how loving Taehyung’s Dad was to me.

“How do you know Taehyung’s Appa?” 

He looked at me and chuckled, “That’s a story that you should ask your Appa.”

“What do you m-”

Gyojang shook his head and checked his watch, before returning to principal mode, “Ya is that the time? Get back in to class before you find yourself in detention!”

He slid off, mumbling about disorganised students as I stood there with a narrowed expression.

He’s the one who started the conversation and he has the audacity to threaten me with detention?

Whatever.

But what was he even saying?

Aish, why can’t grownups just say things face on without beating around the damn bush all the time?

I shook my head as I returned back to a talkative class who were in the middle of conducting an experiment.

I bowed to Kang Ssem (the teacher) before scuttling over to Krystal who was paired up with Irene in my short absence.

I glared at a busy Irene who was drawing out a graph and turned to Krystal, “Thanks for replacing me, what a great friend you are.”

Krystal took her goggles off and threw them at me, “Control your hormones. I didn’t ask for this, Ssem paired us up because Sooyoung and you weren’t here.”

“Ya I was outside with Gyojang!” I whispered back violently.

Krystal rolled her eyes, “Okay mianhae. Ya get to work then! Mix these two carefully and don’t get any on your hands.”

I snatched the gloves from Krystal and scowled at Irene, who does she think she is trying to take all of my friends?

As soon as I combined the chemicals, it started rising uncontrollably.

Krystal rushed over, “Ya! How much did you put in?”

I was panicking as Krystal called the teacher over and the class had stopped to watch our experiment go haywire.

“It’s alright, don’t panic Song Jasmine, these things happen time to time,” Kang Ssem kindly assured as she tipped the chemicals in another jar.

The class resumed their chatting as Krystal pushed me gently, “Where’s your attention diverted? You put the wrong chemical in!”

I sighed as Krystal squeezed my hand comfortingly.

“Can I try this time?” Irene asked as I turned to her high pitched voice.

“Huh? Uh yeah, sure,” Krystal mumbled as I rolled my eyes with frustration.

She smiled before she started explaining the correct way to do the experiment.

I made a goofy face behind her back and looked down at my hands, before someone approached our table.

“Ya that’s great Irene! How did you get it to rise perfectly like that?”

I looked through my bangs to see an enthusiastic Jimin flashing Irene his eye smile as she blushed and looked down.

I kept my head fixed downwards as Irene giggled, “It’s not that hard, I’ll help you if you like.”

My eyes instantly averted to Jimin who was blushing a light pink colour as he ran his fingers through his black fringe.

“Yeah, that would be great. Hobie and I are useless at this, isn’t that right Hobie?” Jimin laughed.

“Yes yes, Jimin is right! Help us; help us, save us Irene!” Hobie dramatically shouted from their table.

I turned around and met Yoongi’s eyes as he shrugged his shoulders and shook his head at Hobie’s actions.

Jimin left our table as I felt Irene’s hand on my shoulder, “Just do what I said and you’ll get a good mark.”

I clenched my fist at her and watched her ‘helping’ Jimin, even though she was blatantly using it as an excuse to get close to him.  

I didn’t realise Krystal was watching me this whole time until she threw paper at me.

I blinked and looked up to see her grinning and shaking her head at me.

“What?”

“Why are you getting jealous?”

I could feel my cheeks flushing, why the heck would I be jealous?

“Shut up Krystal. I’m just annoyed that he can talk to her but not say anything to me,” I muttered.

I still hadn’t told Krystal about the kiss, it’s better to let it go as a dream, something which didn’t happen in real life.

Krystal chuckled, “Whatever you say...”

I threw a spatula at her, “What’s that supposed to mean?”

She rubbed her arm and threw it back at me, “I just said whatever you say. If you want to take it as something more than be my guest!”

The door opened just as I was hurling it back at her, she ducked and it flew past her head and landed straight on Sooyoung’s head.

“Omo!” I shrieked as I ran over to her.

I didn’t know she would walk in right at this moment, how was I supposed to know?

“Ya! What happened?!” Kang Ssem ran over to Sooyoung who had stumbled back and was lying on the floor.

The whole class rushed forward as Krystal and I were shaking Sooyoung back to consciousness.

“Move out of my way!” Miss Kang pushed us away and got Sooyoung in a position where she started sprinkling water on her face.

I started biting my nails viciously, I didn’t mean for this to happen.

The class were whispering as I could feel questioning and accusing eyes on me.

“W-what happened...” Sooyoung started regaining consciousness as I let out a sigh of relief.

Kang Ssem helped Sooyoung up to her feet and took her to the adjacent technician room.

“You did that on purpose!”

I turned around and saw Irene glaring at me with her arms crossed as I shook my head, trying to speak.

Irene kept her eyes locked with mine as I was struggling to say something.

“I thought you were different then what Sooyoung said, but she was right all along. You’re a stupid girl who doesn’t think with her brain, look what you did! She just got out of hospital!” Irene shouted at me as I felt very small and embarrassed.

Krystal pushed her away roughly, “You know it was an accident so stop humiliating her.”

Irene chuckled, “Accident? She’s the one who probably attacked Sooyoung at the station too.”

I was burning up and felt upset that I was being accused of this nonsense, but my words weren’t coming out.

I looked up and saw the class were standing behind Irene, only Krystal was standing by my side.

I looked past Irene and saw Yoongi and Hobie were sleeping, but Jimin had his hand on Irene’s arm and was avoiding eye contact with me.

I laughed quietly, why was I such a fool to think that he actually cared about me, that he was the sweetest boy I’d ever known?

Ever since I turned his confession down, he’s been nothing but distant to me and now he wouldn’t even stand up for me because he’s found another girl to stand up for.

Life is a .

I could feel tears trying to swell in my eyes, but I refused to let them glaze.

“Ya pack it in and get back to your work,” Chanyeol warned loudly as everyone was shaking their heads and dispersing.

“Don’t bother coming back to our table, take your stuff and go,” Krystal warned Irene menacingly as she sniggered and walked off.

“And I thought she was half decent as well. She’s just as much a as Sooyoung,” Krystal said loudly to me as I nodded slowly, returning to our table.

“I – I hope Sooyoung’s alright though,” I said quietly as Krystal resumed hitting me with another spatula.

“You won’t be saying that in a few minutes, she’ll jump down your throat immediately. But as long as Krystal’s by your side, no one can say to you.”

I let out a weak laugh as Krystal elbowed me to carry on with the work.

I heard loud laughter and looked over to Jimi

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter