Break free

A Foreigner in Danger
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

"Ai jinja?" I groaned to myself as Chanyeol and Taehyung fiercely stared each other down.

So he s off somewhere without telling me anything, then wants to show up at the most awkward of times? 

This wasn't even an awkward situation, but I knew Taehyung would assume the worst, just as he had done with me and Jackson. 

But this time, I'd ignore it. 

Just because Taehyung was my boyfriend, doesn't mean he can control every single move of mine. 

He needs to know that me talking to other boys doesn't mean his value becomes any less in my eyes. 

I took a deep breath in and looked from Chanyeol to Taehyung and then to Jimin, until mine and Jungkook's eyes met. 

He had such a judging glare, it infuriated me. 

What was he, like 16 years old? 

Why does he think he can intimidate his elders and get away with it?

Before anyone could say or do anything, I decided to break the silence.

"Hey guys, we were just going to the first aid. Chanyeol, let's go?" I asked firmly, yet gently. 

I didn't want to offend or piss anyone off, so I chose my words carefully as Chanyeol looked taken aback before he nodded and held the corridor door open for me. 

I didn't dare look at Taehyung as I slipped through the door, still holding on to my elbow.

It serves him right. 

I shouldn't be in fear of talking to other boys in case Taehyung sees, we go to a mixed school for God's sake!

"Ya, Taehyung was so pissed," Chanyeol smirked as I nodded.

We were almost at the first aid, blood was dripping from my aching elbow, I had done more damage to it than I thought.

"Why are you guys so cold footed around each other anyway? If you ask me, you should let bygones be bygones," I said trying to stop the blood. 

Chanyeol took a fresh tissue out from of his pocket as I thanked him.

"He probably already told you, it was to do with Sooyoung. We don't hate each other or anything, we just don't get along too well."

I nodded as Chanyeol knocked on the first aid door and I got myself cleaned up by a substitute for Miss Mina as she applied a bandage on my elbow.  

We walked out of the building together and stopped short near the entrance, trying to avoid all the younger girls gawking at Chanyeol from the classroom windows.

"Well, I've got to go now, but I'll see you around. Ya, would you like a lift home? Our coach is just outside and we are going through Old Daegu anyway," Chanyeol persuasively asked as I shook my head. 

"No thanks, its okay. I'm gonna do a bit of revision first, but thanks for the offer," I replied smiling.

"Are you sure? It's really hot out and it's getting late, we don't have any more lessons anyway," Chanyeol really wanted to do something for me as I laughed.

"Honestly, I'm fine. You'll be late if you don't go now. Why is there a coach for you anyway?" I asked with interest.

Chanyeol's eyes started sparkling, "We have to go to Seoul for a live showcase, ya have you heard our debut song, what is love?"

"That's your song? It's daebak! I heard it on the radio; it's pretty amazing and catchy too! Aren't you going to make a music video for it?" I asked excitedly.

"That's what we are heading to Seoul to do as well, make sure you watch us live on mnet countdown though! Ya, we'll drop you home, it's no problem Jasmine," Chanyeol insisted. 

"Seriously, its fine! You go on and good luck!" I said as Chanyeol finally smiled and went running off to his fame carriage. 

EXO were gaining so much popularity lately and I was really happy for them, they were all extremely talented and I knew they'd go far very quickly ever since I saw them perform at the talent show. 

I looked up to the sound of banging windows and saw some girls take pictures of me.

Argh, why would they do that? 

Now they'd probably start a rumour that I was starting a love triangle or something like that. 

I didn't really care much for stories people create and I haven't been outside Daegu ever since I got to Korea so I don't know the full situation of how famous the idols in our school are.

 I tilted my head down and walked back into school, heading over to the library.

I stayed there for a couple of hours, studying hard for the exams and submitting some pieces of coursework before I yawned and looked around, realising hardly anyone was left. 

The sun was quite low outside and it was giving a golden orange glow on all the bookshelves and empty computers as I checked the clock to see it was nearly 6 pm.

I packed my stuff and walked out of the library, down the stairs and out of the school until I reached the train station where I got on the train back home.

I checked my phone and not one miscall or message from Taehyung, he was obviously annoyed that I didn't say anything to him when he saw me and Chanyeol on the stairs. 

I decided that I wouldn't even call him, he can stay sulking. 

I'm tired of always apologising when he's the one who owes me explanations of why he lies and goes missing for days.

I got off the train at Old Daegu and bought myself a packet of corn crisps before walking home with my head down, lost in my own thoughts.

As I walked up the stone grey front stairs, the bamboo doors on our house were ajar to let fresh air in, but I heard raised voices. 

I crept in and silently took my shoes off, as shouting was coming from the main room. 

It sounded like Eonni had come home. 

"I think you should leave before Appa gets here."

It was Dad's voice sounding very grim and why was he even telling Eonni to leave?

I walked nearer the door so I could hear what was clearly being said.

"This is my home too, I can stay wherever I want! Oppa, why are you being like this?" 

Eonni sounded absolutely distraught as I heard Dad sigh impatiently.

"By you being here, you're causing us so much trouble! Ya, do you even know how hard it was to get the media off our property? We had to pay their managers hundreds of thousands to shut up!" 

"B-but I haven't anywhere else to go..." 

What the hell, why was Eonni begging to stay in her own home?

"Stay in my apartment in the city and keep your head down. I know you didn't want this, but it's happening and the only thing left to do is keep you hidden away until it's all sorted," Dad said in a more gentle tone. 

I gulped.

This means they found out about Eonni's leaked video.

I couldn't stand here and listen to Eonni being destroyed so I opened the door and was surprised to see Aunt Jeong and Halmeouni were sitting there too. 

They all turned to me and I looked straight to Eonni.

She was deathly pale and had swollen eyes and a red nose, she'd been crying a lot. 

"Why are you letting her leave? She needs us now more than ever and instead of caring for her, you're telling her to go away! Ya aren't we family?!" I shouted at Appa.

"This doesn't concern you, go to your room and study. Make something of yourself," Appa sternly replied.

I turned to Halmeouni whose head was in her hands as Aunt Jeong walked towards me.

"Have you eaten? Come," she tried to take me out of the room, but I yanked my arm free.

Enough was enough, how can they treat Eonni like this? 

What happened to family sticking together no matter what?

I ran up to Eonni and shook her arm, she hadn't looked at me properly once and I wanted to make eye contact with her now more than ever.

"Eonni, I know everything. Ya! Namjoon hacked into all the computers and deleted everything, he's sent a virus to anyone who tries to open it, so it's going to be okay! Don't give up on your dream, please!" I pleaded as Eonni finally looked at me with empty eyes.  

"Nothing will be okay, it's all ruined..." 

She trailed off as tears swelled in her eyes.

I cleared my throat and blinked twice, "Eonni please don't say that! You're going to debut soon anyway, what are your company saying? Ya, didn't you report the manager who did that to you?!" 

"They've kicked me out, nothing will be okay, I've ruined everything. Appa is destroyed because of me..."

She kept trailing off as I frantically turned to everyone, why were they speaking with such helpelessness?

"Halapoji is still successful, he's still in power! Ya why are you guys acting like its the end of the world? We are humans, we all make mistakes!" I yelled, especially to Appa who was standing with his arms folded, clenching his jaw and giving me death stares.

No one was answering me, so I ran over to Halmeouni.

"Halmeouni, you're always full of hope, tell them! Tell them this will all blow over soon enough!" 

I didn't know why they were all so quiet, only yesterday we were all okay, laughing and joking around the dinner table.

Halmeouni stayed quiet and her back started to shake as she kept her head down, but I was still waiting for an answer.

"The chairman of his opposing party put the clip up on his social networking sites this morning. Halapoji was in a media meeting when they threw the questions on him; he stormed out and hasn't come home since. Just before you came, dozens of journalists flooded our entrance and your Appa had to transfer a direct debit of thousands to make them leave," Aunt Jeong said with a strange sense of collectiveness.

It took my mind some time to comprehend all that had happened today whilst I was at school. 

A lump formed in my throat as a wave of reality flooded my senses.

I heard sniffing as Eonni was about to leave the room.

If Eonni left our home today, it would be the start of our family being shattered, it wouldn't end well, and so we needed to stick together.

The same way Jungkook's family were destroyed with his brother leaving, our family would scatter with the departure of Eonni Seoyeon.

I quickly ran over to stop her.

"Don't go, jehbal! We can sort this out together! If we get divided, we'll fall easier, Eonni please don't leave. I'm here for you, we all are! Eonni!" 

I felt hot tears run down my cheek as I was choking saying her name. 

"Halmeouni, please stop her! She's my sister, jehbal! Please!" 

How could they watch the joy of our home leave so easily?

I pushed Eonni away from the door and blocked her path.

"No. Eonni, I'm not going to let you leave, this is your home!" 

"Minnie, m-move!" She raised her voice as tears were rolling down her once coloured and dewy cheeks.

I shook my head rapidly, "If you go, I'm going with you. I will not let you be on your own, Appa stop her!"

I saw Appa approaching us and thought he'd stop her, but instead he was pushing me out of the way.

"No! What are you doing? Stop it! Hajima!" 

"Song Jasmine, move out of the way before you get hurt."

Before I knew it, he lifted me up and threw me back in the room as he was ushering Eonni towards the front door and giving her some money and a card. 

I tried to crawl back up, but Aunt Jeong stopped me.

I turned to her in shock, "Not you too? Please, please! She's my sister, my best friend, don't do this!" 

I heard the front door close and ran towards the door, only to fall in Appa's arms as he shook me hard to my senses. 

"Stop this childish behaviour now. She's only going to the apartment, no one is chucking her out. Calm down and stay in your room tonight."

I looked up at Dad with an angry expression as I saw he too was on the verge of breaking down, his eyes filled with hot tears.

"Please Minnie, I promise you it will be okay. Just calm down and don't come to the main room tonight, do this for me," he stared at me, not letting his tears fall as he pulled me in a tight embrace.

I hugged him back tighter, letting all my inbuilt tears wet his shoulder. 

Appa could never raise his voice at me, if he saw my eyes were filled with tears, he wouldn't rest until he found out the cause.

Then he too would suffer from pain, it would always end with me comforting him and laughing, saying I was going to be okay.

"Stop crying Minnie, d-don't cry," his voice was breaking as he was holding me like a baby again.

I knew that he was the only man who'd never hurt me, he was the only man who'd always protect me.

Taehyung's face appeared in my head as I cried even harder, why was love like this?

"Shhh, Minnie, I promise everything will be okay," he finally pulled back and wiped my face with his palms gently and kissed my forehead, before brushing my sweaty bangs back. 

He walked me to my room and waited outside until I freshened up.

He knocked on the door, bringing me dinner as he waited for me to finish, smiling each time I put food in my mouth until he kissed me before closing the door firmly behind him. 

I instantly picked up my phone and called Eonni, but she wasn't picking up, so I messaged her a long, heartfelt text on both WhatsApp and message. 

If Eonni was at the apartment, she was bound to be okay because I knew Taehyung's Mum and younger brother were there too, she'd look after her and cook her delicious, hearty foods.

I sat on my bed in silence, my thoughts engulfing me, until I looked out of my window door to see a group of important, suited men fling our front gate open, led by a fuming Halapoji.

This must be his party. 

My heart was sinking further into my belly as I heard loud voices erupt from the hallway. 

"Where has she gone?" Halapoji's voice boomed.

"She hasn't come home..." I heard Appa say quietly, before a man's voice cut him off.

"Don't lie Minjun! One of our men saw her leave, she needs to give a statement!" 

"And you don't talk to me like that! I already said, she didn't come here, what don't you understand?" Appa shouted back at the man.

I heard a door slam shut as the voices became muffled and Seoeon and Seojun started crying before someone shouted loudly to keep them quiet from the door that had just opened and closed again.

I couldn't take this intense atmosphere any longer, so I locked my door and started playing music from my laptop. 

I closed my eyes and threw myself on the bed.

If this is the outcome of Eonni's leaked CCTV video, and she didn't even do anything but allow the man to touch her up and kiss her, imagine what the reaction would be to my pregnancy. 

I shook my head as tears rolled down the sides of my face and hit my bed, oh Tae, what have you gotten me into?

I dropped my hands down to my belly and closed my eyes, I needed to get this thing out of my stomach as soon as possible or it would totally destroy everything. 

**************************

"Are you okay?"

I peeked through my hair and saw a worried Krystal looking down at me, before I nodded my head.

Everyone was called out of class for a compulsory assembly regarding internet safety and we had already sat through a boring fifteen minutes of two men taking turns to speak off a projector.

It was a Friday afternoon and the only reason why none of our year complained was because it was a chance for us to doze off without any teacher nagging.

"When is this going to end?" I whispered back to Krystal who shrugged her shoulders.

I rolled my eyes and looked around, we were sitting right at the back of the packed hall and everyone was so bored as our side of chairs were already fast asleep.

I chuckled when I tilted my head up and saw Namjoon fulfilling his head boy duties by sitting right at the front, he had to stay awake but was struggling to keep his head balanced.

I looked right to the end of our back row and saw Taehyung, Jimin, Hoseok and Yoongi sitting with their heads rested on each other's shoulders as my belly started hurting. 

"Do you need to go to the toilet?" Krystal placed her hand on my shoulder as I shook my head.

"I-I'm okay," I struggled to say back as she didn't look convinced. 

My stomach was hurting a lot, it felt like someone was stabbing me with a blunt knife and twisting it around my intestines as I pushed my knees up to my chest.

Ever since the incident that happened at home with Eonni, Dad thought it was best for me to stay in Seoul with my Mum for a while, especially since she needed help for her wedding.

Mum and Ruiji's wedding dates had changed because of some visa issues and Jackson not being able to do some events because of his debut schedule, so her wedding reception was this Sunday instead of in August. 

They already exchanged their wedding vows last Friday and it was a small ceremony in Church with just family and close friends. 

They were splashing their cash on their wedding reception and because Mum had landed herself an executive job being an attorney for SM Entertainment, there would be some famous idols attending their reception. 

Ruiji had close friends who were producers at KBS and so their reception was bound to be the biggest celebrity highlight this summer in all the magazines and entertainment news.

Mum was even more stressed because of the sudden change of her reception, but Jackson and I managed to convince her that it would all go smoothly, especially as now I'd be with her all the time.

I had spent this whole week shopping with Mum in Seoul and it was a nice change and much more relaxing than what I'd been used to these past few months. 

We ended up shopping for my dress and going out to indulge on ice shavings and sushi. 

We dragged a reluctant Jackson with us to get his three piece suit tailor made and ended up having a blast, Jackson was such a fun person to go shopping with.

Although he was always complaining and asking when we'd go home, watching him trying on different clothes and messing around with the shopkeepers made me laugh a lot, something which I had forgotten how to do this past month.

I also had Krystal with me at all times. 

I would go to school and come back to Seoul with her via a long train ride because she was staying with her company and I was staying with my Mum.

Having Krystal with me meant that I always had a shoulder to lean on, especially as the abortion was only next week and I always needed words of encouragement which Krystal provided better than anyone could.

We also had fun times together, going out and doing girly things that I hadn't been able to do since I left London.

We'd revise together which was a bonus as Krystal was very disciplined with her work, so she'd help me to stay focused as well.

Even though Krystal was so busy with her group, fx, and their rising fame, she always made so much time for me for which I couldn't be more grateful.

But, living in Seoul also meant having awkward eye contact with Taehyung. 

He still hadn't approached me or even messaged me since I walked past him with Chanyeol and it's been two weeks.

Although not speaking with Taehyung was burning a hole inside me, it was a slightly refreshing feeling not having him constantly here, especially as I felt queasy around him knowing I was carrying his child. 

A sharp jolt in my stomach dragged me out of my thoughts.

I groaned and clenched my stomach; I could feel acid slowly rising up as I held on to my mouth.

The row in front turned around upon hearing my chair slide back as I ran out of my seat to the back door before I was stopped by Gyojang Yi.

"Where do you think you're going?" He whispered with anger.

"She's going to throw up!" Krystal whispered with frustration from beside me, she'd gotten up as soon as she saw me leave my chair.

I could hear whispering from the back row and saw faces turned to my direction from the corner of my eye, which made me feel even dizzier.

He stared at the both of us before he nodded and let us go through.

Krystal rubbed my back gently, "Minnie, hold-" 

Just as we left the hall, my stomach violently churned as vomit spewed uncontrollably out of my mouth, splatting all over the floor. 

I couldn't stop vomiting; I'd never thrown up this much before!

I heard loads of rapid footsteps approach the back door of the hall as there were gasps and cries of disgust.

The assembly had stopped as I couldn't hear the internet safety guy speak any more, I could only hear shocked shrieks.

"Everyone back in your seats, now!" 

Gyojang's voice rumbled through the hall loudly as students were still whispering, grudgingly shuffling back to their seats.

"Get the cleaners here," Gyojang ordered the teachers who were equally as shocked and worried as the students.

I had been their quick entertainment in this boring assembly.

I knew everyone would speculate and talk about this for the whole week, until a new rumour or news was brought to their attention.

Everything felt like a spiralling dream as I felt a pair of gentle hands pull me to the girl's toilets to get cleaned up.

"Rinse your mouth and wash your face," Krystal comfortingly said as I did as I was told.

The tears that were a reflex from my vomit started falling down my face as more tears of distress piled up behind and rolled down my cheeks.

I couldn't stop sniffing and shaking as Krystal started rubbing my back and tying my hair up high. 

"Minnie it's going to be okay, just carry on staying strong. This time next week, you'll be free of all this pain," Krystal wiped my face with a wet tissue as she gently led me out.

As we were walking out of the building to catch some fresh air, a pair of strong hands yanked my shoulders back and turned me around roughly.

I closed my eyes from the pain which felt like my shoulder jerked out of place.

I opened my eyes and was staring in Taehyung's wide, questioning brown eyes as he was desperately searching my face for answers. 

"Kim Taehyung! What the-"

"Shut up Krystal!" He shouted as his eyes never left my teary ones once. 

I tried to shrug him off but he pinned me against the wall as Krystal tried to drag him off, but failed.

"Stop it! Ya, have some mercy! She just puked and you're manhandling her like that!" Krystal screamed as Taehyung let go of me briefly.

My mind was still whizzing as I struggled to keep myself standing. 

"What sickness lasts for this long?!" Taehyung

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter