Forever young

A Foreigner in Danger
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

“Annyeonghaseyooooo family! Welcome to another episode of Keeping Up With The Stars...Korea version!”

B-T-S!

B-T-S!

B-T-S!

 B-T-S!

“Ya, ya, ya! Let me speak!”

B-T-S!

B-T-S!

B-T-S!

“Haha! Army, Saranghae!”

Aigooo! Namjoonie oppaaa, we love you too!

“Ai jinja haha...let’s start the live interview now...”

Kim Namjoon! Kim Seokjin! Min Yoongi! Jung Hoseok! Park Jimin! Kim Taehyung! Jeon Jungkook...

“B-T-S!”

Kyoyooo! Bangtan chanted with us!

“Ige han madiro Bangtan Style...Ige han madiro Bangtan Style...Ige han madiro Bangtan Style! Bangtan Style, Bangtan Style! Yeahhh!”

Ige han madiro Bangtan Style! Omo Taehyungiiieeee! Hahaha!

“Well I see Taehyung hasn’t changed at all since the last time I interviewed you, this is truly Bangtan’s style!”

B-T-S!

“Big Hit first revealed them to us with ‘2 Cool 4 Skool’, their ‘Skool Luv Affair’ taking Asia by storm! Their studio album, ‘Dark and Wild’ grabbed the world’s attention before they released their chart topping ‘The Most Beautiful Moment in Life’ series! Two Japanese albums before their y album concept, ‘Wings’, stormed both domestic and international charts!

They released two more studio albums with even ier concepts, a Chinese album and another Japanese album, before they each took a break and went their own ways. They have the world in their hands and have won five Grammy awards amongst them! And now, for the first time in 9 years, exclusively, only on SBS, we have together...Bang-tan Son-yeon-daaaan!”

Aaaaaaaaaahhhhhhh! B-T-S!

Bangtan Sonyeondan saranghae!

 Kim Namjoon, Kim Seokjin, Min Yoongi, Jung Hoseok, Park Jimin, Kim Taehyung, Jeon Jungkook, BTS!

Kim Namjoon...

“...It’s great to see Bangtan here on our show with their brand new comeback after doing 9 years of solo activities! Rap Monster, can you tell us what you’ve all been up to? How have you foetuses grown up so much, is the real question?!”

“Haha, good question Leeteuk hyung. We decided that ARMY deserve to see more of us in our individual hobbies, and so we’ve given something special back to all our fans in numerous ways. Our maknae Jungkook, Jimin and Hobie opened up their own dance school, many Big Hit trainees practice there as well as anyone who wants to learn how to dance.”

“So it’s for boys and girls?”

“Of course. As is well known, Suga and I began a yearly talent contest which is a chance for the dancers to showcase their talents in.”

“So Jimin, Jungkook and Hoseok train the dancers who want to show themselves on your talent show?”

“Yes that’s right. ‘Korea has talent’ is for anyone who is passionate about music just as we were 15 years ago. We are taking applications right now, so don’t delay!”

“Daebak! ‘Korea has talent’ has indeed taken the nation by storm! What about Jin and Taehyung? Jin?”

“Uh...well Taehyung and I have always had a passion for acting. I’ve been acting in Korean dramas and films, whilst Taehyung does international films.”

“Ya, don’t be so modest Jin!”

Aigoooooo Jin, you’re so handsome!

“Tell me something new! Hahaha! We’ve all worked out our muscles so much just for army!”

“They still rely on me as their leader to make everything clearer. Jin hyung has been the lead character role for six consecutive internationally successful dramas!”

Oooooooooooooooooo!

“...And our V has just wrapped up a Chinese martial arts film. ARMY, you already know how much love to give it. Did you all see his acting in the new Marvel film? Haha, he’s acted in a Bollywood film and four English films, all were the most commercially successful in their years, we are so proud of how successful he’s become.”

“Ye absolutely, I agree. Congratulations Taehyung ssi, its strange how quick time flies! After the break, we reveal BTS’ brand new concept and also...let’s take a look into BTS’ love life! You don’t want to go anywhere!”

B-T-S! B-T-S! B-T-S!

“Welcome back to Keeping Up With The Stars, where we get a chance to chat with the hottest stars around! I don’t even need to repeat who we have on the show, take a look for yourselves! Or hear it yourself! Whizz the camera over the thousands of fans that blocked our studio, the main street of Seoul and even cancelled train timings with their rush!”

Kim Namjoon! Kim Seokjin! Min Yoongi! Jung Hoseok! Park Jimin! Kim Taehyung! Jeon Jungkook! BTS! Hwaiting! Army loves you! Thank you for coming back to us!

“Haha, they still manage to say everything in unison after 9 years! Now, let’s get to the juicy gossip which Netizens are screaming over! Kim Taehyung you naughty boy! Ya don’t look to your Hyung’s for help, we have you cornered!”

“Aish, what to say? Leeteuk hyung, have you seen the trailer to my new film?”

“Yaa have you ever seen such a clever rascal?”

“Hahaha, Hobie’s right. Go on Taetae, stop changing the subject!”

“Yes I agree Jimin ssi. Taehyung ssi, let me just get straight to the cut. What is the truth behind this rumour of your long lost love? And that too, our nation’s beauty, Park Sooyoung aka Joy as we all know her?!”

Ahhhhhhh! Joy-ah! Saranghaeyoo!

“Haha I guess we have Red Velvet fans in the crowd as well!”

“Kyoyo! Look at Taehyung, he’s gone so red!”

“Namjoon hyung loves pointing out the obvious.”

“Ye-he! Our maknae has always been too brave for his own good!”

“Aigo, this is the Bangtan we all remember! But it seems like all of you are slyly changing the subject. Taehyunga! Man to man, has the time come to protect Sooyoung ssi?”

“Uh, haha, I don’t understand...”

“Well, there’s no denying all the leaked pictures and videos of you two going on a secret holiday to Hawaii and secretly meeting after the K-World concert last month. And only last weekend, Sooyoung ssi was seen leaving your Gangnam penthouse at 5 am! Ya, don’t look at me like that, I’m just here to help ARMY!”

“How can I answer when so many eyes are on me?”

“Yaaa! This is his fox instincts erupting. He did a thank you speech with the President in front of the whole country and it broadcasted live on fifty channels worldwide! He’s trying to avoid the question.”

“Yoongi hyung, must you expose me like that?”

“So we’ll take it as a yes then? Are wedding bells ringing?”

“Sooyounga certainly has a special place in my heart, but her schedule is very tight right now, so no bells any time soon.”

“Any time soon? So maybe in the near future?”

“No one knows the future, but uh, none of us are getting younger.”

“Ya! Netizens! You heard it here first! Kim Taehyung has officially confirmed his relationship with Joy ssi and there’s a possibility for the biggest wedding Korea has witnessed in decades! Red Velvet’s Joy is currently shooting for a historical drama which ends next month, so watch out for-”

I turned the TV off as a deep sigh escaped the back of my throat.

Taehyung lied.

What was I expecting?

Him to wait for me?

Wait to see his children?

Was I possibly expecting his heart to beat fast every day since I left Korea with the possibility that maybe, just maybe he’d see me again?

Ya, miracles don’t happen to people like me.

All that happens to cursed people like me are disappointments, depression and memories which are far beyond my ability to erase.

Not a week goes past without BTS breaking headlines all over Los Angeles, all over America and all over the world.

I graduated four years ago with the highest grade in my year and I went on to do three more years of specialised language classes.

Only last year I qualified as a professional translator and a month later, I landed myself a high flying job with the United Nations.

My work consists of translating from English to Korean and Japanese and yesterday morning, I opened an email telling me that I’ve been promoted to a higher position.

I was over the moon until I saw the attached details.

I would be moving, all expenses paid and provided, to Seoul.

What I was running away from for so long had finally caught up with me, Korea was calling me again.

I sighed and closed my eyes, I don’t know what to do and I can’t make a decision like this on my own.

I opened my eyes and brushed my shaking fingers through my hair.

I don’t know what’s affected me more, the news of moving to Seoul, or the latest news that Taehyung and Sooyoung want to get married.

Hahaha, I’m such a gullible fool!

All those years ago when Taehyung left Sooyoung, all the drama that happened, what was it for?

Who was he fooling?

Ya, pabo, he fooled you.

The funniest thing is, I actually do manage to put aside all these ravenous thoughts and concentrate on my life, I’d even bought a luxury house in the best part of LA, and I live in Hollywood now.

Taewon and Taehee are 14 years old and have enjoyed the best education and classes in America.

They speak fluent English, Korean, Japanese, French and both achieve the best grades in their year.

Taewon is a bit naughty and does cause trouble, but he never leaves Taehee alone.

Taehee on the other hand, I wasn’t surprised when four of her teachers took me to the side encouraging that I support her to be a singer or go in the field of entertainment.

It was bound to happen that one of them would be musically gifted, but no way am I letting her ruin her life.

I’m not against it, but I’m not happy for her to pursue a career in music either.

Taewon and Taehee have grown up supporting and loving each other, not even Satan can split them apart.

Yet, Taehyung and my past have never stopped chasing me.

I walked around the large house and headed over to our massive kitchen to check on the supper I was cooking.

“Miss Jasmine, I’ve finished cleaning the house. Is there anything else you’d like me to do?”

I turned around and smiled at Rosella, my Italian housemaid.

“No, that’s fine for today Rosella. How about you stay for lunch? I’ve sent the driver to collect the twins, they’ll be home any minute now.”

She beamed at me and shook her head, “Thank you for the offer, but I need to go home and look after my husband. He’s fallen quite ill.”

I raised my eyebrows with concern and walked over to Rosella, she was in her mid forties and like a Mother to me.

Mum and Ruiji’s house was on the other side of LA and between my busy schedule and looking after the twins, I rarely had time to spend with Mum.

 “You should’ve told me this before! Here, take this. No, I won’t take no for an answer this time. Buy his medication and spend some time with him. When you’re feeling better then you can come back, but if you need more money, don’t hesitate to ask. Please, it’s the least I can do.”

Rosella tried to smile at me, as a tear rolled down her cheek.

“Thank you so much Miss Jasmine, May God bless you. Give Taewon and Taehee my love.”

We hugged again as she grabbed her coat and ran down the long, checkered hallway until I heard a door shut.

I sighed again and smiled to myself before checking on the beef stew that was bubbling away.

I chuckled to myself and tied my brown waves back in a high bun, I’ve fed the twins Korean food since they were babies and so their palette was very traditional and just like mine.

Just as I was setting the table, I heard the front door barge open and the sound of arguing echoed through the house and immediately lit up my heart.

“Taewon-ah, you need to stop being so controlling! No one does that here and look! You’re just getting into trouble because of it!”

“Well someone had to show that idiot Jason how a true man fights. Ya, why did you get so close to him in the first place? Is he your boyfriend? I’ll kill him!”

“Urgh! Why are you like this? Muuuum! Mum! Tell Taewon to leave me alone in school at least!”

“Ya! I’ll never leave you! Eomma! Eommaaaa! Where are you?”

I rushed over to the hallway and the sight of my beautiful children stretched a smile across my face.

“Eommaaaa!” Taewon crashed into me with his arms spread wide as he hugged me tightly.

Although he was only fourteen, he was growing up very well and was taller than me.

His voice was in the process of breaking and he had become the man of the house in his mind, he wanted to protect me and Taehee no matter what I said or told him.  

I hugged him back before sharply pulling him back and taking a good look at his face.

Every time I looked at Taewon, I would instantly be reminded of Taehyung.

He had grown to be a spitting image of his father; except his eyes were hazel and his face shape was like mine.

“Ya! Taewon, what happened to your face?”

He quickly looked away and covered his bruised eye as he tried to explain.

I was immediately jerked back to when Taehyung used to fight and hide his bruises from me as my eyes clouded with tears.

“He got into a fight! I told him not to, but he never listened to me!”

Taehee cut him off as she grabbed my hand and started staring at me with her big, brown eyes.

Anyone could tell Taehee was my daughter.

She had the same long, brown waves as me and she had my smile, but her eyes, lips and personality was exactly like Taehyung.

Taewon had his Father’s ego and handsome aura, but that’s about it.

Taewon was very sensitive and he always cared about giving to others before taking himself, he was very patient and his heart was filled to the brim with love.

Taehee on the other hand was very hot headed and stubborn, a mixture of myself and Eonni.

Although she was sensitive as well, she had the talent of reading people like books with her wide, hooded, cat-like eyes.

“Taewon, how many times have I told you to keep out of trouble?”

Taewon tilted his head, “Sorry Mum. But – but it was his fault! He was getting too close to Taehee and Eomma, you know I can’t stand that!”

I chuckled and ruffled his fluffy, chestnut brown hair, “You can’t beat up every guy who tries to talk to your sister. I know you don’t like it, but instead of hurting him you could’ve spoken to him about it, or told Taehee to stay away instead.”

Taewon hugged me again, “Mianhae Eomma, I didn’t mean to upset you.”

“I’m not upset pabo. I just got worried, that’s all.”

I looked over to Taehee, who was too busy texting away.

“Taehee, who are you messaging that’s so important? I hope you aren’t getting involved with any boys. You’re too young for all of that,” I sternly said as Taehee flung her hair to the side, ignoring me.

Taewon and I exchanged glances as I walked over to Taehee and snatched the phone out of her hand.

“Ya!”

I glared at her with raised eyebrows as her dewy cheeks tinted red.

“That’s not how I’ve taught you to speak to me. I should never have let Jackson buy you this phone, I never see you do anything else other than text!”

Taehee scowled to the floor and let her long hair drop over her face as she sat on the indoor mahogany swing.

I instantly felt bad and told Taewon to go and get changed before we ate together.

I took a deep breath in and out.

Every day, I was sounding more and more like Appa, now I understood what he was going through all those times I was becoming infatuated with Taehyung.

Taewon stopped and quickly hugged Taehee before whizzing up the stairs; he truly loves her so much and can’t stand seeing her upset, even if it’s when I tell her off.

The swing rocked back gently as I sat down next to Taehee who had her hand cupped on her cheek.

“I’m sorry,” I softly said, brushing her silky locks behind her ear.

She didn’t look up at me, but instead leant back into my chest just as she used to when she was a toddler.

“Aniyo Mum. Don’t apologise, you’re right. You didn’t raise me up like this, I just have a lot going on right now.”

I’ve trained both of them to speak Korean at home, but English outside so that they never forget where they come from.

Or just in case they have to go back there one day...

I've raised Taewon and Taehee up like a Mother, but more a friend that they can always confide in.

I promised myself when I was a teenager that I would become my children’s best friends, even when they disobey me, yet I would keep a balance.

I would be the balance that my parents could never achieve with me.

“What’s up? Is this Jason on your mind?” I said with a teasing tone as Taehee finally turned to me with her deep eyes.

Aish, her eyes are exactly like Taehyung’s.

That bastard wants to forget all about me and marry Sooyoung, but has left me with his presence that I can never walk away from.

“Mum, why do you believe everything Taewon says? Urgh it’s not even like that. It’s just...we have a school project coming up. They want us to research our family tree and well, I only know yours. Jason was only trying to cheer me up,” Taehee said quietly as I bit the inside of my lip.

There was a brief silence.

“Taehee, your Dad was-”

Taehee cut me off, “Mum we break up from school tomorrow for Summer Vacations. Can we please go to Korea? I want to see Dad’s family. You always said they loved me and were waiting for me! You said your family was waiting for me too! Pretty please Eomma?”

My eyes widened as I tried to come up with another excuse.

I’d been avoiding Korea for fourteen years, I’d run out of excuses to tell the twins, and now they were growing older, they were becoming more rebellious and intrigued.

“That’s enough Taehee. Wash up before we eat supper. Ppalli!” I replied, not knowing what to say as Taehee stormed off, banging each step on purpose to try and express her anger.

“If you stamp that one more time young lady...”

Taehee stopped stamping, but I heard the slamming of her bedroom door as Taewon came rushing downstairs.

“What happened?” He asked innocently as I shook my head.

We waited for her on the dinner table until she finally came down, and her anger calmed down too.

Taehee and Taewon spoke about their day as we were laughing over the dinner table.

When I brought dessert out, they were talking and laughing amongst themselves excitedly whilst I just watched them and smiled.

Yet, a panging throb was racing through my body, sooner or later they’d have to go to Korea.

*****

“I’ve been trying to get through for ages!” Krystal shrieked down the line as I pulled the phone away from my ear.

“Ya, ya! Don’t bite my head off so early in the morning! Do you know you are 17 hours ahead of me! Selfish rat,” I replied harshly as Krystal started shouting again.

I couldn’t help but laugh as we spoke about trivial things, and she never stopped her habit of updating me on the latest showbiz gossip in Seoul.

Krystal hasn’t come over since last Christmas, when I held a Christmas party for the whole family.

Ruiji and Mum’s family came over; Krystal came over with her sister Jessica and Jackson came over with Mark from Got7 as well.

We hadn’t had a blast like that in years, not to mention how ecstatic Taehee became when she finally met Mark whom she was crazy over.

Taehee is the biggest k-pop lover in our area and so naturally she blasted the whereabouts of four k-pop stars all over social media which gained a lot of attention from journalists who bombarded the outside of our house gates.

We got the journalists removed and then gave out presents after the massive Christmas lunch.

That was when Jackson got Taehee and Taewon the latest phones, even though I was totally against it.

It was the coldest winter LA had seen in twenty eight years and there was even a drizzle of snow, yet no one had a chance to feel cold as we were all so happy together, playing games with mugs of hot chocolate and marshmallows.

Jessica had to leave, but Krystal, Jackson, Mark and I went out to a Christmas party in one of Mark’s friends’ house whilst the twins were asleep and we met up with the rest of Got7 and partied like there was no tomorrow.

I hadn’t gotten drunk like that since the night the twins were conceived...

Anyway, we had a total blast last Christmas, but I haven’t seen anyone since.

“Krystal, I need help,” I cut her off.

I needed Krystal’s advice; she’d be the best person to ask for the dilemma I was in.

“What’s up? Have you spoken to Yoongi again?” She asked carefully as I chuckled.

Yoongi has been sending birthday and Christmas presents to the twins every year for fourteen years.

He never wrote who it was from until he shipped over their six year old birthday present and I immediately realised.

He shipped over a grand piano for Christmas with a handwritten note, “I hope you use it well just like I did at your age. Love, sweet cheeks.”

The handwriting was Yoongi’s from a mile off and not to mention that hideous nickname, sweet cheeks.

He is truly as sweet as sugar once you get to know him.

That’s when I decided to call him from the number he gave me when the twin’s were babies, and we spoke for a whole three hours about life, we both vented everything out to each other.

It was just like the days of Daegu High.

Turns out Yoongi’s love life is a bit of a shambles, but he wanted to tell me how much Taehyung had been affected by my departure.

Apparently he couldn’t believe that I had a miscarriage, but now, nine years later, I know that Kim Taehyung doesn’t give two s about where I am, or even if I’m still alive.

Not even Jimin has made an effort to look for me.

Yes, I know that it’s better this way and I don’t want them knowing anyway, that’s why I moved all those years ago, but it would be nice, no?

But time is cruel and Taehyung’s moved on, I only live for my children’s happiness now.

I guess we are even.

“No, it’s not Yoongi. It’s – well, basically I’ve been offered a job promotion,” I replied to Krystal as I flung myself on the comfy corner sofa, rubbing my lower back.

The sun was bursting through the curtains and today was the twins’ last day of school before summer.

I needed to make this promotion decision before the end of the week or they’ll give it to someone else.

It was Friday now.

“That’s great news! Why were you hesitating to take it? Tell me you’ve already taken it, right?” Krystal exclaimed.

I started playing with my hair; I no longer have bangs, just a side parting.

“Krystal, give me a chance to speak. I know you have a reality show filming today, but concentrate on what I’m telling you and please give me a proper answer.”

Krystal paused before she spoke, “Okay, what’s the catch to this promotion then?”

“It’s in Seoul. The UN are covering all housing and expenses, but it’s a permanent job in Seoul. Ya, how can I move from LA to Korea, again?! It’s not just me this time; I’ll need to take the twins over too!”

I didn’t realise I was shrieking, until Krystal protested and told me to calm down and take deep breaths.

“...Minnie, I’ve always said everything happens for a reason and this is no exception. Put yourself aside and think about the children’s perspective. Didn’t you tell me that just yesterday; Taehee expressed her restlessness and wants to come to Korea? All these years, you’ve never let them deviate once from their culture and now they are teenagers, don’t you think it’s time for them to enjoy the childhood you cherish in memories?”

, this girl was so correct that I needed to say something against her.

“If it’s a permanent job, that means they have to move forever and say goodbye to all their friends! At fourteen years old, don’t you think it’s a bit unfair on them?” I replied carefully as Krystal sighed.

“Look, I’ve told you what I think. You’re just throwing something out there for the sake of it. Minnie, I know how much you’ve suffered over the years, I’ve seen how hard it’s been for you to raise the twins without their father. I know you’re scared that he’ll find them and take them from you, but if you have faith in your upbringing; that will never happen.”

I bit down on my lip and closed my eyes, oh why was Krystal speaking the truth?

“Krystal, I don’t think-”

She cut me off abruptly, “Ask the twins. Tell Taewon and Taehee the news and listen to what they have to say. Let them decide and actually do what they want, for once.”

“Krystal, what if they do say yes? They’re young and naive!” I protested, hoping Krystal would agree.

My hopes weren’t met.

“Minnie, you know what I’m saying is right. All your family is here and no one is getting younger. For fourteen years, you haven’t shown your face to them, again. Forgive me for saying it, but you’ve always despised Taehyung for running away when you’ve done it twice, you’ve run away two times for years on end. You two are more alike than you think.”

My mouth hung open, I didn’t expect Krystal to talk in such an insensitive way after she knows everything.

Just as I was about to shout at her, she said she needed to go and she’ll talk later.

“Arghhhhh!” I yelled out to myself, what the hell should I do?

A permanent job in Seoul, ya, our life was already set here!

Did I really need to go to Seoul for a better life?

Yeah the pay was better, my family were all there, luckily they were all still alive and Taehee is becoming more rebellious as the days go by.

She’s never asked me for anything directly, and the only time she did, I said no.

Taewon, my angel, he’s never even disobeyed me once!

Yet last night, I overheard them talking to each other, they both want to go to Korea, they both want to know where their roots are.

Just then, a familiar laughing burst through the front door as Taewon and Taehee had come home from their last day of school before the long Summer Vacation.

“Taehee, I didn’t know you could sing like that! Ya you pabo, you lied to me and said you had stage fright!”

“Well, now you know. Aishhhh, I’m starving! I didn’t even get any food at the end of year buffet! Mummy! Eomma!”

I quickly wiped my eyes and walked out of the lounge door as both Taewon and Taehee ran over to me with outstretched arms.

I’ve gotten them into the habit of kissing my cheek every time they leave for school and hugging me every time they come home.

“How was your day?” I asked both of them with a wobbly voice.

I had momentarily composed myself, but they both inherited their Father’s box shaped laugh which wasn’t helping my heart right now.

Taewon immediately knew something was wrong as he rubbed my cheek with his thumb; he was only fourteen and towering over me!

“Why are your cheeks damp? Ya! Who made you upset?!” He raised his voice as I took his hand down and smiled warmly at him.

I looked over at Taehee who had a worried look on her face too.

“Aish, come here the both of you!” I grabbed both of them and engulfed them with my hug before beckoning them to sit in the lounge next to me.

They looked at each other before turning to me.

“I need to talk with you both. Listen very carefully to what I’m about to say,” I had now composed myself and resumed my motherly voice.

“Mum, is everything okay?” Taehee asked worriedly as I cupped her cheek.

“Don’t interrupt me, and listen.”

Taehee made the action of zipping her lips as I continued.

My heart melted when she leant on Taewon’s shoulder and he started making circles on her scalp, ya, please let them stay like this forever!

“You both know I work for the UN as an interpreter for ministers and government officials etc, but now they’ve offered me a job promotion. It’s a brilliant promotion that people usually get when they are quite old. However, if I say yes, we will all have to move to Seoul. We will have to leave LA and relocate in Korea.”

I let that sink in as I carefully examined both their faces.

Taehee has the talent of putting on a poker face, but Taewon can’t conceal his feelings.

His face scrunched up in thought for a split second before he turned to look at his sister with what looked like a faint grin.

I bit on my cheek, I knew they would jump for joy, ya Krystal!

Soon enough, Taehee’s eyes darted to meet Taewon’s before they became half moons and a full fledge smile stretched her cheeks.

They were having a conversation with their eyes before they both turned to look at me in

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter