Strawberries

A Foreigner in Danger
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Beeeeep beep beeep beeeeeeeeep!

Urgh! What the hell was that noise and why are people so inconsiderate, some of us are trying to sleep! Why is there even so much traffic?

I rubbed my eyes and pushed my bangs off my forehead, they were irritating me and it was so humid.

Beeeeep! Beeep!

“Yaaaaa!” I covered my eyes with my pillow; I just wanted to sleep, is that too much to ask?

Just as I was about to close my eyes to maybe catch a few more hours of sleep, Dad decided to shout the place down.

“Gooood Morning Minnie! Rise and shine ttal, early bird catches the worm!”

Although my eyes were barely open, I shot daggers at him.

“Yah, don’t look at me like that!”

He thought he was being playful by waving my duvet in the air, but it irritated me more. Why was everyone so inconsiderate in this city?

“STOP IT! You’re not funny! Aish! Let me sleep!”

I dragged my covers back to my face.

I was lying down in bed for ages last night, but I couldn’t sleep. I was tossing and turning and even playing Temple Run, but nothing was working. I can’t remember how I did fall asleep, but I had a weird dream involving huge, floating bubbles.

“Yaaahhh, Song Jasminah. Wake up, it’s already 10.30 am!”

Dad was shouting extra loud from the passageway after every ten seconds, preventing me from trying to fall asleep again.

What the actual hell. I wanted to scream till my lungs erupted, then I would be able to sleep in peace.

Was he having a laugh? It’s a Saturday and he tried to wake me up at 10.30am! This day was going to piss me off so much, I could see it already.

Before I could calm myself down, Dad ran into my room and came right up to my ear and started clapping.

Omo. No. 

“WAKE. UP. WAKEY. WAKEY!” I swear I could murder someone, and he was the closest to me, so he’d better watch out.

“Dad! What is your problem? Why are you waking me up so early? PLEASE have mercy on your only child!” I screamed back at him, covering my ears.

He laughed.

“Ya, don’t be mad. Your entire luggage has finally arrived at Halmeouni’s and they’re expecting us for lunch ASAP. So hurry UP you lazy beetle!”

Urrggghhh. I knew I wouldn’t be able to win, but I wasn’t going to get up immediately. I would mentally prepare myself to move my body first and then put my feet on the floor.

My attitude died down a little when I absorbed the news of my luggage arrival. I would finally be reunited with all my clothes, shoes, makeup and accessories. But, at Halmeouni’s? So that means we would be living with her..?

I missed them all, I think. But what would they say when they saw me? They’d probably look down at me for ignoring them all these years.

I checked my phone and saw an unread message from last night.

Good night, don’t dream about me too much ;) ... –Taehyung

I rolled my eyes as a smile managed to creep on my pissed off morning face. Yesterday just felt like a dream.

Aish, what does he think of himself? As if he’s even entered my subconscious mind for me to be dreaming about him. But what would he know about psychology? He doesn’t take anything seriously let alone studies.

Gosh I could’ve killed him for what happened last night.

 It was all going so well and I actually felt like I had embraced a long lost friend. We had such a blast yesterday- laughing, kinship and even gazing at the stars for goodness sake, but it was too good to be true. I realised this when I fell on top of him and felt something very hard down below.

I shuddered to think about it. I’m not an innocent child, and I don’t claim to be- but education classes did teach us a thing or two about what happens to guys when they are ually aroused.

Just as I was about to get out of bed and close my phone, I looked down and saw Taehyung was online. Omo, what if it looked like I was typing? I quickly ended the app, but my phone started to vibrate.

I looked down and Taehyung was ringing me. I laughed and picked it up immediately. As soon as I answered it I wanted to face palm myself.

 I should’ve at least let it ring!

Ugh, he’ll probably think I’m falling for him or am really desperate.

But Jasmine, you know it won’t be long before you do fall for him...

Shut up and leave me alone, I thought to myself. There’s always this small voice inside me that I can never get rid of.

“Hello?” I croaked. It was too early to speak- well for a Saturday.   

“Good morning Jasmine-sshi” He had an even deeper voice on the phone that sent shivers down my lower back.

 “Why did you call me so early?” I didn’t know what else to say.

Come on- I already said hello, why would he reply with another greeting? That means I have to start some conversation and no way am I in the mood right now.

“Ouch. Why so mean today?” He put on a cute voice.

“Yah, I’m not being mean, it’s just so early and I’m like this when I wake up.” I replied.

A bit too bluntly.

There was a brief silence before he said coldly, “well sorry to bother you then, have a nice day.”

I was about to reply when I realised he wasn’t there, he hung up on me! URGH, I can’t stand anyone hanging up on me, let alone someone who claims to be the same Taehyung from my childhood.

 He said he’d send me pictures, maybe they would help, but I’ve changed my mind now. I don’t want to see them anymore. Well, not now anyway. I knew today was going to be an irritating day.

I dragged myself to the bathroom and started running a shower.

 Getting under the hot water, I started contemplating about everything that happened yesterday. It was all coming back too fast and I wasn’t ready for this. I’ve always been a victim of mixed feelings but this topped the scale.

First I met Taehyung ever so dramatically, then I was surprised to meet Jimin and now Taehyung is trying to play with my emotions?

I laughed. Yesterday played out like a proper damsel in distress story, they got into a massive fight for a new girl, for me!

It was an overdose of drama for me to handle.

Yeah sure, after the meeting with Gyojang and what happened in the shed and during our little adventure through the forest, we had bonded -a lot- but it doesn’t mean that Taehyung thinks he can get in with me so quick. Especially now that I know he got aroused just by me falling on him. He should’ve pushed me away instantly if he was such a nice guy.

 From what I can see, he’s still the same Taehyung deep down, but a lot has changed on his exterior.

I got out of the shower, wrapped a towel around me and started brushing my teeth.

It was Saturday now, but it’ll be Sunday night before I know it and then Monday morning again. A fresh new week of Daegu High.

 Taehyung was so good to me after school when no one was around, but something tells me he’s the type of guy who acts differently around different people. He probably thought I didn’t notice, but girls were attracted to him like flies on dirt which did annoy me- because he acted as though it was perfectly normal for packs of girls to chase after him, like he was some kpop star.

Whatever.

Even if he says or acts like he’s interested in me, it’s probably just flirting. There isn’t any Cinderella or Romeo and Juliet stories any more; it’s all just a quick thing and boom. A break up via Facebook or WhatsApp. This is another reason why I don’t like the idea of relationships.

True love doesn’t exist anymore, just look at my life. I was conceived from a one night stand, the irony is real.

 He doesn’t even care about himself, why would you think he cares about you, Jasmine?

I sighed as I rinsed my mouth and walked back to my room. Love just wasn’t written for me.

“Breakfast’s ready!” Dad shouted from the kitchen.

He was in a good mood because we were finally going to see Halmeouni and it made me feel sorry for him. The least I could do was make sure I acted like a good daughter and forget my problems that I caused myself.

I wore the same pink hanbok and headed over to the dining table. It was small but cute, perfect for me and Dad.

I looked down and aigo! Appa had prepared a feast.

There was fried toast, scrambled egg, baked beans, kimchi, rice, ssam with roasted tomatoes and mushrooms. He even prepared fresh orange juice and had a bowl of my favourite fruit out! Dad had fused English and Korean cuisines and this was too cute, why do I need another man in my life?

I’d be content with just Appa my whole life.

Someone like Taehyung would be with me for a bit and then leave me when they get bored or found someone better.

 I wish we could’ve stayed kids forever, not giving a about growing up and facing the idea of ‘love’, but no one stays forever young.

I forced a huge grin and took a seat waiting for Dad to join me. When he finally sat down, we both tucked in and the atmosphere was quiet whilst we were filling our bellies.

After I finished eating, I sipped my orange juice and watched Dad as he was oddly packing his ssam with scrambled egg.

“Is that a new recipe you guys came up with?” I asked jokingly.

He ate the whole thing in one huge bite, before looking up at me and smiling with a stuffed mouth.

“Ya! That gives me an idea! We should introduce a new section on the breakfast menu- ‘England in Korea.’ That would be such a hit!” He ruffled the top of my head and leant back, swallowing the mouthful.

“Appa, are we moving to Halmeouni’s house?” I enquired.

He looked up at me and asked, “Is that okay with you?”

Woah, he’s giving me the power to make a decision.

“Ya, why you letting me decide? As long as it’s not in another city, that’s fine by me!” I popped a grape into my mouth.

Dad looked at me and started to put the plates in the dishwasher.

“How was your first day at school?” He had a knowing tone.

I paused and quickly said, “It was alright. A bit different but I guess I survived.”

He turned the dishwasher on and sat back down next to me.

“Gyojang Yi left a message on my phone; he couldn’t get through to me.” Dad was staring at my face, searching for my next expression.

I gulped. Of course he knows everything.

“Ai, jinja? Well, uh, there was actually a fight in the canteen and I sort of got scared. But it was alright in the end. Punishments were handed out sufficiently.”

Dad was still staring at me; my eyes were locked on my juice.

“I’m sure they were. Actually, he told me that Taehyung and Park Jimin were involved in the fight. Not only that, but you were involved as well.”

I looked at Dad quickly before looking down again and brushing my hair back.

“I wasn’t involved, how could I be, it was only my first day. But yeah, Taehyung and Jimin did fight, but isn’t that what guys do? Oh and Dad, by the way, am I supposed to wear this old hanbok to Halmeouni’s? I need some new clothes; it’s the first time sh-”

I thought I was doing a good job at changing the subject, but Dad intervened.

“Ya, don’t try change the subject. I’m your Dad and I know what you’re thinking. Listen, I’m not going to scold you, I know the full story, and none of it was your fault.” He took my hand in his and I smiled at him awkwardly.

I guess he didn’t find out I got hit, or he wouldn’t be this calm.

“But, a word of advice. I know it’s your first week and I know how students react when there’s another new student, especially from abroad. Just don’t rush into any friendships or anything else you can’t handle.”

And I’m his daughter, I know what he means by ‘anything else’ come on Dad, know me by know!

 I don’t like the idea of attaching to any friend, let alone a boy.

 I’m not an extreme feminist, but I hate when boys think they can control girls, which seems to be a trait in most Korean guys.

 Well, at least the ones at Daegu High.

He carried on, “You should know that Halmeouni lives further out into the country, so you’ll have to take one train ride to school. It’s not that far away, only about half an hour or so. It’ll be a lovely new experience; it’s a brand new train they’ve managed to create.”

Half an hour by train? A lovely experience? It sounded too far away.

“But Dad, can’t we just carry on living here and see Halmeouni on weekends- until the holidays or something?”

He got up again and put the fruit in the fridge.

“As convenient as that would be, I’m afraid I can’t allow it. I’ve given this place for Taehyung to come any time he likes, and well, you’re not exactly a child anymore. You two can’t be living in the same space, what will people say? It was actually my fault for allowing it to happen yesterday, but now that you guys have, well, bonded, staying with Halmeouni is best for us all.”

I knew Taehyung would be brought up in some way. Dad turned and walked over to me, but I was lost in my thoughts.

“I knew you two would get along well once you spoke properly. You do get along, don’t you?” Dad was running his fingers through my bangs, straightening them out.

I took his hand and gave him a fake smile. “Dad, I remember bits and pieces, but he’s changed a lot hasn’t he? Like we do get along, but he’s different now, don’t you think?”  It was my turn to stare at Dad for his reaction.

“Ttal, time changes everyone and Taehyung is no exception. As a father I’ll say that, but as your friend, I’m telling you he’s still the same Tae that you remember.”

Before I had a chance to talk about him more, Dad dashed into the TV room and came out with a shopping bag. 

“But for now, it’s a Saturday and we’ll be seeing Halmeouni and living with her. I can’t tell you how much they all miss you, aish you’ll see for yourself. You’ll remember everything when you get there, I just know it! Look, I picked out these clothes for you, you better like them. They are the latest SNSD style!”

He was excited, so I played along. I didn’t need to check if the clothes were pretty, Dad’s fashion sense was dope.

“Haha, it’s alright I trust your style. What time are we leaving?” I took the bag from him.

“The driver is picking us up at 12 noon, so you have half an hour to get ready. If you need any facial wipes or makeup I think Tae has some in his room. And you can use my hair brush for now, you definitely need it.”  

I playfully hit him on his arm. I knew my morning hair was hideous, he didn’t need to tell me.

“Haha, ok Mianhae, I’m sorry! Ppalli, hurry up and get ready!” He pretended to rub his arm in pain.

I rushed to my room and wore the clothes Dad got me. It was a checkered, red oversized shirt that I draped over some ripped, black skinny jeans with platform black and white plimsolls. It was dope and I was satisfied.

 I looked at myself in the mirror and Dad was right, I desperately had to fix my face and hair. I needed some bb cream and lip tint at the very least.

I went to Dad’s room.  It was a very tidy black and white room, and I saw he had an array of various French perfumes and hair brushes. I looked at his hair brushes and laughed. What would he do with a paddle brush? I used some serum to smoothen my hair and brushed my bangs straight. I decided to leave my hair out.

I made my way to Taehyung’s room.  Apparently he had some makeup and wipes, what a girl. I realised in Korea, it was normal for guys to wear makeup and it’s really good that they take care of how they look, but no way am I going to want a guy that looks prettier than me.

 I wouldn’t want a guy anyway, ew.

I entered Taehyung’s room and saw it was surprisingly very clean.

I headed over to his dressing table and saw he had bb cream, concealer, foundation, eyeliner and lip tint. He even had a little bag that they were spilling out from. I laughed out loud.  I took the bb cream and squeezed a bit on the back of my hand. It was a bit dark for my complexion, so I used the concealer on my face instead.

 I applied a bit of lip tint and it smelt of my favourite smell, strawberries.

I wonder if this is what Taehyung’s lips taste like?

I felt disgusted at my own thoughts and was about to leave when something caught my eye.

His closet door was ajar and he had a photograph pinned on the inside.

 I slowly opened the door to get a better look and it was a picture of two children, a girl and a boy. They looked no older than eight and were holding hands in front of a strawberry farm and smiling. Strawberries were smeared all over their white t-shirts. I felt my breakfast coming up and realised it was a young Kim Taehyung.

The girl looked strikingly like me...

 

“1, 2, 3, Say cheese!” Kim Jun-Seo smiled at both the children.

“Appa, my eyes were closed, take it again!” Taetae whined.

“Ya, they weren’t! Both of you look beautiful.”

Kim Jun-seo took them to the local strawberry farm for the first time and they wouldn’t stop eating strawberries. He had to drag them away in order to take a picture.

“Samchon! If Taetae doesn’t like it, neither do I. Take it again, juseyo!”

She took Taehyung’s hand and he smiled at her while Jun-seo took another picture. Both their hands were stuck together with strawberry juice.

 

I snapped out of my thoughts and ran out of Taehyung’s room, feeling sick.

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter