Secrets and lies

A Foreigner in Danger
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

“And where do you think you’re going?”

The lunch bell had just gone and I was going to the canteen before someone pushed me hard against a row of lockers.

I turned and saw a beautifully glowing Taehyung towering over me with a wide grin.

“Ya, you’ll never stop being like this will you?”  I giggled, his soft hair down with my hand as he was rubbing his nose against mine.

“Never in a million years. How was citizenship?” Taehyung asked warmly, ignoring the crowds of students that had just left their classes.

“Where were you guys? None of you came in!” I pushed his forehead away and pretended to be upset, but he edged in closer.

“Did you miss me?”

I tutted and pushed my knee in his belly before trying to walk away.

Taehyung grabbed my arm and dragged me so I crashed into his chest, “you’re one feisty lady, but I am the master of rough play.”

I smirked and flicked him, “But you don’t last long.”

Taehyung flushed red and rubbed the back of his neck, “What can I say? You are too perfect for me.”

“Ya what a cheesy reply!” I laughed.

“Tell me honestly. I know it seemed rushed and quick because we were drunk, but how was it? Did you enjoy it? Tell the truth, I won’t be offended but I’ll improve for next time,” he gave me a y stare before waiting my reply.

We had walked out of the corridor and decided to sit on the school green, under the shade of a big oak tree as the sun was blazing hot today.

I noticed Taehyung seemed nervous at my reply, so I decided to have a bit of fun.

“Enjoy? If I’m honest, you didn’t do anything right! It didn’t feel as good as I imagined.”

Taehyung’s eyes widened as he stared at me with horror, “J-jinja?”

I nodded, “Mianhae, it just felt like a quick .”

Taehyung was frozen and I burst out laughing, giving him a huge hug.

“Ya I’m only joking! It couldn’t have been better and from what I can remember, it was the best night of my life!” I couldn’t any longer.

Taehyung carried on acting hurt as he pouted his lip out and started doing crying aegyo with his fists.

“Ew! Stop it,” I head locked him to the ground and we ended up play fighting until my neatly done hair became tangled with bits of grass and Taehyung was laughing at me before helping me get it out.

Taehyung was staring at me as I tried patting my hair down in place.

“What?” I asked with frustration.

“Nothing,” Taehyung smiled like a kid and flashed me his rectangular smile before continuing to stare at me.

Just then, I saw shadows looming behind me and turned to see Jimin and Yoongi.

Taehyung jumped up and started play fighting with Jimin, making warrior noises before Yoongi slowly moved away from them and slid himself down next to me in the shade of the tree trunk.

Before I could say anything, Yoongi closed his eyes and threw Taehyung’s blazer over his face.

Jimin and Taehyung soon got out of breath and rolled down next to us.

“Sorry I missed class, was there anything important?” Jimin asked me as I turned my head away with anger.

I hadn’t forgotten how rude he was to me over the phone when he was with that annoying girl.

I felt a silence and could feel Jimin and Taehyung sharing confused looks.

“Where’s everyone else?” Taehyung asked Jimin.

“Namjoon is with Gyojang and Hobie is trying to help Jungkook with his Maths homework,” Jimin replied as Taehyung gave a gasp of shock.

“Kookie is actually doing school work? What a miracle!”

Jimin chuckled, “It’s only because he needs a pass to be able to attend prom, and he’s going as Sooyoung’s partner who’s probably getting the prom queen award this year.”

Taehyung sighed, “I want him to be happy, but Sooyoung though? She’s the worst choice he could’ve gone for!”

“Where are you going?” Jimin asked as I finally turned around.

“I need to find Jungkook and talk to him before this situation really gets out of hand,” Taehyung kissed me on the forehead and pecked Jimin on the cheek before he ran off into the building, leaving me and Jimin alone with a snoring Yoongi.

I immediately turned away from Jimin again.

“Minnie, what’s wrong?”

Anger boiled up in me as I turned around sharply, killing Jimin with my eyes.

“Don’t act like you don’t know!”

Jimin’s eyes widened and he brushed his hair back, shuffling closer to me.

“I don’t know why you’re ignoring me but I think it might be because of what happened last night?”

I rolled my eyes and clapped my hands sarcastically, “Well done Park Jimin, ten points to you.”

“Ya, why are you upset about it though? I thought you’d be happy that I was seeing girls? You said yourself that I should get a girlfriend.”

I tutted and chuckled with anger.

“Firstly, I never said that you should do one night stands with slappers from Seoul and secondly why did you ignore me when I wanted to talk to you?”

Jimin grabbed my hand and pinched my finger quite hard, so that he caught my attention.

“What do you want me to do then? If I get a girlfriend, you have to deal with the fact that she’ll have most of my time. But if I don’t, you complain that I should. What do you want me to do?!”

I wrenched my hand from his, “I don’t get in the way of yours and Taehyung’s friendship so why did you let that girl get in the way of ours?”

Jimin chuckled and looked away before he fixed his eyes on me which were now narrowed.

“But the only difference is that you let Taehyung get in the way of us.”

I stared at Jimin, momentarily confused as he kept a firm gaze on me.

“W-what do you mean?” I dropped my eyes down and could still feel his gaze.

“You know what I mean. You let Taehyung get in between me and you all the time and start complaining when I --for one night only-- let another girl get between us. Why the double standards Minnie?”

He’d never spoken to me like this and although there were masses of noise coming from students playing and studying out loud under other trees, I zoned out and could only hear Jimin’s voice.

“Answer me.”

I looked at Jimin, “Taehyung’s my boyfriend, and he’s the love of my life. Of course-”

Jimin cut me off, “You don’t even know what true love is.”

I glared at Jimin who was now looking off into the distance, “Jimin look at me. What did you just say?”

“I said you don’t know what love is,” Jimin stared back at me confidently, piercing my eyes.

“What’s gotten into you? You’re acting really strange lately,” I muttered sadly, Jimin’s eyes were the only ones who never pierced mine, they were always so warm.

Just before Jimin could say anything, my phone started ringing which shook me out of my thoughts.

I cleared my throat, “Y-yeoboseyo?”

It was Aunt Jeong.

“Where are you?”

I looked up at Jimin, “At school, is everything okay?”

She sounded worried and her voice was trembling, “Halmeouni’s been admitted to hospital, she’s had a heart attack.”

My mouth dropped open and my heart sank along with the news.

“W-which hospital?” was all I managed to say after what felt like hours.

Jimin edged in to me anxiously.

“The local one, near the town centre. I’ll text you the details.”

She cut the call and I felt tears forming in my eyes, if anything happened to Halmeouni I don’t know what I’d do. 

Jimin didn’t say anything, he just hugged me.

“Halmeouni’s in hospital,” I sniffed, pushing Jimin off me and grabbing my bag.

Jimin pulled my arm, “You’re not going alone. Gaja, I have a car parked out.”

“It’s okay, you go back-”

Jimin cut me off again, “Halmeouni is just as much my grandmother as she is yours. I’m going for her.”

I stared at Jimin and slowly nodded, oh my poor Halmeouni.

She has to be okay, she just has to.

Yoongi had just slurred up and was watching the both of us, before Jimin told him where we were going.

“Which floor is she on?” Jimin asked as I jumped out of his car, looking around like a headless duck.

“Umm, floor E,” I replied as Jimin rushed over to speak to the receptionist.

He gently held my arm into the lift, “Room 46.”

As soon as the lift opened, I saw the whole family congregated outside on the waiting chairs and Appa was pacing up and down with the Nurse.

Everyone had their head in their hands and the twins were fast asleep, but I couldn’t see Eonni or Halapoji anywhere.

I ran over to Uncle Hwijae who pulled me in for a hug.

“The doctors say she’ll be alright for now, they’re doing some tests.”

I felt a tear running down my cheek as Aunt Jeong ushered me to sit down.

“Where’s Halapoji?” I asked.

“He’s on his way. He had to end a live broadcast and rush over here,” she replied, rubbing my back comfortingly as I rested my head on her shoulder.

We waited for hours before the doctors allowed us to meet Halmeouni and for some reason, I couldn’t bare to see her tied to all the wires and ventilators even after everyone else had just seen her.

“She wants to see you,” Uncle Jiho told me as I shook my head viciously.

They all looked to one another as Jimin came over and sat beside me.

“Minnie its okay, I’ll go in with you. It’s the same jolly Halmeouni we know; she’s just feeling a bit poorly right now.”

I sniffed and more tears rolled down my cheeks as I nodded to Jimin who wiped my tears away gently with his thumb.

We entered the room and the sound of beeping entered my ears, before my eyes landed on Halmeouni.

She was lying there straight, with machines stuck all around her and wires attached to all parts of her body and face.

I tried to leave, but Jimin grabbed my hand, “Halmeouni, Jasmine’s here to see you.”

Halmeouni’s head slowly turned and I noticed her eyes were open. She looked very pale and frail.  

She was struggling to take the breathing mask off her face so Jimin ran over and gently helped her remove it, before her hair back.

“Song Jasmine...come...here”

She sounded very weak and I plucked all the courage I had to approach her.

I kneeled beside her and held her hand softly as our eyes met.

Hers were cloudy with tears and seconds later, my vision was obscured with an ocean of tears that were waiting to leak.

I blinked and they fell onto her hand.

“Why did you do this Halmeouni?” I asked, my voice shaking.

She chuckled and squeezed my hand, “I’ll be fine...I always...am...don’t cry Minnie...I can’t bear to see...you cry.”

“How are you feeling?” I asked, trying to make my voice sound stronger as I saw in documentaries that’s what you should do when a sickly person is in front of you.

She nodded and managed to tut, “I’m feeling twenty two, but my body...my body doesn’t help...my heart is too weak...I just want to see you married with children!”

I blinked some more and tears wouldn’t stop falling as I felt myself trembling.

“Halmeouni, may you live up till my children have grandchildren! Don’t speak like this, jehbal,” I whimpered.

I wrapped her hand in mine and kissed it until my lip tint coloured her hand red.

We didn’t say anything else and I heard Jimin leave the room.

I must’ve dozed off because I woke up to the nurse telling me it was time for Halmeouni to rest alone.

Our hands were still interlocked; I wiped my eyes and kissed her on the cheek before turning to leave.

“Nurse, is she going to be okay?” I asked the young lady who reminded me of Miss Mina instantly.

She looked at me kindly, “She has a history of ill health, but she’s always pulled through. It looks as though she’ll be just fine in no time.”

I smiled and bowed at her feeling reassured, Halmeouni was such a strong lady, she’d always be okay.

She was still so young and she still had so much to see from us, please destiny, please God, help Halmeouni.

I looked around and saw Appa and Uncle Hwijae fast asleep on the waiting chairs; it was now 6 pm. Oh how time flies!

I felt a little better after I heard the Doctors speaking about her dietary requirements as I knew she’d definitely be okay.

I couldn’t see anyone else and decided to walk around the small hospital.

After looking into different wards and visiting the cafe, I saw Jimin sitting on a bench outside in the hospital garden and went over to sit by him.

“Hey,” I bleakly said as Jimin jumped up and turned his head before making space for me to sit down. His black hair was messy and looked as though he’d been brushing it very vigorously.

There was a silence that I chose to break, “The nurse told me she’ll be okay, isn’t that great?”

Jimin nodded and still didn’t say anything.

“Haha, Halmeouni’s always been so strong. Hopefully she’ll be home in no time,” I said again hoping he’d converse with me.

I admit it, before I was too harsh on Jimin.

I had no right to question his love life, and he’s right.

I always do put Taehyung first, but I just knew this girl wasn’t good for him.

Jimin chuckled and rubbed his face before looking at me, and I saw his eyes were puffy and his nose was red.

“Hay fever is really bad for me today,” he flashed me a smile that didn’t match his eyes.

Without saying a word, I leant my head on his shoulder and wrapped my arm around his front.

Jimin stiffened before he put his arm around my shoulder as well, “I’m so sorry for yesterday, you know I’d never put anyone in front of you.”

I laughed and snuggled into his warm embrace, “I’m sorry for overreacting. It’s your love life; I had no right to say anything.”

Jimin turned to me and pinched my cheek, “Ya, only you have the right to tell me everything. You can say whatever you want, trust me I don’t mind. I just want you to be happy, that’s all.”

Jimin smiled his gorgeous eye smile and the warmth in his eyes returned as his lips thinned into a cute shape.

“So is she your girlfriend?” I asked as Jimin sniggered.

“Probably not.”

My eyes widened.

From the sound of it, he did more than what a first time date should do and yet she still wasn’t his girlfriend.

I didn’t know Jimin had that side to him too.

Well, he is a guy at the end of the day and I guess he does have needs.

Any girl would be lucky to even share the same space with Jimin, even if he was using her for one night, I can only imagine how gentleman like he’d be.

Why am I even imagining that, ew!

Ya Jimin is nothing more to me than a brotherly best friend.

“Jasmine!”

I turned around and saw Taehyung rushing towards us in a black jumper and slim fit jeans with a snap back on which revealed his straight, thick eyebrows; he looked irresistible.

He looked at the both of us and furrowed his brows before he took me by the hand.

I turned back to Jimin who had just answered his ringing phone and brushed his unstyled black hair back.

“Ow, why did you do that?” I complained as Taehyung threw me against the outside wall of the hospital.

“Why didn’t you tell me about Halmeouni? None of you even bothered to call me, and Yoongi hyung only told me after our practice!” Taehyung clenched his jaw.

“Mianhae Taetae, we rushed here ourselves as soon as we heard. You do look pretty hot though,” I teased Taehyung who smirked before he leant his arm against the wall behind me and bent his head to face mine.

“Jimin’s got a girlfriend, did he tell you?”

I stared at Taehyung and laughed, “He said she probably wasn’t going to be his girlfriend.”

Taehyung tried to laugh but looked away, “Whatever, he still likes her so they should be a couple. When did you guys get here?”

“Aunt Jeong called me as soon as the end of lunch bell rang. Did you speak to Jungkook?” I asked Taehyung who was still looking away.

“Huh? Oh yeah I did. But when does that kid listen to anyone? I told him that she’s poisonous but he doesn’t want to know. Ya forget him, take me to see Halmeouni.”

I stared at Taehyung before he pushed my face away with his palm as we went up to floor E.

When we got out of the lift, I noticed Eonni had finally arrived and her face was in her hands as her untamed hair fell down.

Taehyung bowed to everyone, “Annyeonghaseyo.”

Aunt Jeong had taken the twins home and all my uncles and Appa turned to look at Taehyung.

I realised this was the first time they had seen Taehyung in years.

“Kim Taehyung?” Uncle Hwijae approached Taehyung who widened his eyes with innocence and nodded slowly as they embraced each other tightly.

“You took too long to show us your face,” Uncle Jihu muttered as he too hugged Taehyung followed by Uncle Jiho.

Eonni lifted up her head and I saw her eyes were swollen.

“Ya, all these years Eomma wanted to see you grow up proper and you show your face just now! What’s the point? Go back!”

We were all taken aback at Eonni’s sudden outburst and I turned to Taehyung, holding his hand in mine.

I didn’t want him to feel exposed and upset; it takes forever to heal Taehyung.

“Seoyeon, calm down. Tae come and visit Halmeouni, she’s awake now,” Appa patted Taehyung on the shoulder.

I felt Taehyung squeeze my hand and I made my way to go in with him, but Appa stopped me.

Eonni was fuming and my brain was telling me to keep away, but my heart was urging me to speak to her. 

I slumped down and Eonni didn’t look at me.

I guess she doesn’t want to talk...

Ya, what the heck?

I turned to look at Eonni’s body again and realised she’d lost a hell of a lot of weight.

Her waist could fit in my arm and although she was wearing a baggy jacket, her crop top exposed her side from which I could only see protruding ribs.

“Eonni?” I almost whispered out of such concern.

She turned to me sharply and I noticed her eyes were very dull.

I stared into her eyes and they immediately started clouding up before returning to their stony glare.

I took her hand gently, “Eonni please take care of yourself.”

I didn’t want to question her just yet and I didn’t want to push her away so that she’d never open up, so that was all I could think of saying.

She turned away and dropped her hair over her face, my heart was sinking and something wasn’t right.

When I was younger, Halmeouni was admitted to hospital and Eonni was scolded for making constant jokes at the situation.

But I knew that right now, something else was bugging her.

And it must be something big for Eonni to react like this, nothing ever upsets her...

“Gaja,” Taehyung’s deep voice penetrated my ear as I turned around.

I saw his cheeks and nose were red and his long, straight eyelashes were wet.

Before I could say an

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter