In love

A Foreigner in Danger
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

I immediately jumped up and turned to see who it was.

It didn’t sound like a teacher, but anyone who saw the position Taehyung and I were just in would assume the most awkward of things.

Did we really just kiss? It can’t have been a kiss; it was probably my imagination over reacting.

I snapped out of my thoughts when I heard Taehyung laughing sheepishly as he was still lying on the floor, covering his lips.

I don’t think my imagination was over reacting.

Awkward coughs broke the silence and I noticed it was Jimin and Jungkook.

They just stood there; not saying a word as I slowly walked back to my seat and put my head down on the desk, covering the side of my face with my hair.

“Do you guys have detention too?” Taehyung finally got up and strolled over to his seat on the other side of the classroom.

He spoke confidently, as though nothing had happened.

“I got a detention from that old bat, Gang. Hyung just finished practice and saw me trying to leave school, so forced me here.” Jungkook scowled as he jumped on Taehyung’s desk.

I peeked through my hair and saw that Jimin was still standing by the door and not saying a word, he looked frozen in time.

“Same! That witch gave us detention too. She’s never once lived her life and she doesn’t let anyone else live, the dusty pig,” Taehyung complained.

“Ya, Jiminie why you still standing there? Sit here!” Taehyung was beckoning Jimin to sit on the chair next to him, but Jimin shook his head quickly and walked away, slamming the door shut behind him.

“What’s up with Jimin?” Taehyung asked Jungkook.

“I wish I knew. I feel as though Hyung is hiding something from us. Whenever I try to call, it’s only voicemail at the other end, and after practice he just goes straight home, without saying a word. He doesn’t even laugh wholeheartedly anymore,” Jungkook sighed.

“Ai Jinja? He acts normal around me, but I have noticed he doesn’t speak as much. I’m gonna catch him tonight and talk properly, he’s the life of us, if he’s hiding something- it’s our duty to find out.” Taehyung sounded worried.

Jungkook and Taehyung carried on ing about Ms Gang and then they started to mess around, wrestling and playing music out loud on their phones. They didn’t even acknowledge that I was there as they were so immersed in playing childish games.

What was wrong with Jimin?

I’ll speak to him on Monday, when we start our project together.

I put my head down and must’ve dozed off again because I woke up to the bell ringing for those students who had extra classes. I lifted my head and it was 5.30pm. Aish, which student has ever gotten a triple detention?

I looked back and noticed Jungkook had since long gone because Taehyung too had his eyes closed and was sleeping with his mouth open. I couldn’t help but stare at him; he looked like an angel sleeping, even though he was the most rebellious kid around.

Why does he do that?

Why does Taehyung always pour his heart out to me, then when someone else comes along, he forgets about it all? What was his problem? I wanted to hit him hard, he drives me mental.

I strolled around the class, doodling on the board before sitting back down again.

I started smiling as I remembered our innocent kiss; well that’s what it was right? It was my first kiss and I can’t even remember it. I just remember Taehyung’s soft, plump lips mine ever so briefly.

It was nearly the end of detention; Mr Park should be back soon. What excuse would I tell Appa this time? I’d been using the excuse of staying in the library to finish coursework, but then when everyone was sitting together for dinner, I’d be working non-stop. It made Appa enquire about my actual progress and he even mentioned meeting with Gyojang to discuss my performance!

This Daegu boy was going to get me in serious trouble, so why can’t I stay away?

“Ahhhhhhh, that was a good little nap,” Taehyung stretched loudly as he was walking over to the front, where I was seated.

What did he want now?

I turned to glare at him as he pulled up a chair on my desk.

“What do you want? Go back to your seat,” I frowned.

“Why so moody?” He asked innocently.

“Why do you think brainiac? I just wasted three precious hours doing nothing because of your misbehaviour!” I screamed at him.

Instead of apologising, Taehyung smiled brightly.

“That was good.”

I banged my head on the table, he was driving me nuts.

“What are you talking about? Why can’t you be serious for once Tae? Our future is going to be determined pretty soon and here you are in detention, bringing me with you!” I tried to speak softly so that he’d understand, but I know he never would.

“Life’s too short to be worried about the future. We are all so immersed in the future, we forget that we have a life right now, this moment needs catering! And I was talking about our little kiss. That was good, wasn’t it?”

I blushed and turned my head to face the window.

“Oh yeah. Why did you do that?” I mumbled.

Taehyung slid his chair directly in front of me and gently spoke, “I don’t know, I just felt like it was the right time. I’m sorry if you didn’t like it.”

I looked at him, trying to analyse whether he was joking or if he’d actually turned serious.

Taehyung had the talent of acting childishly one minute, then switching to Mr Serious the next. He can also very easily control and conceal his feelings, which isn’t a good thing.

“It’s not that, it’s just...” I didn’t want to finish, I was too shy.

Taehyung rested his face on his palms and put his elbows on my desk. He was staring at me, and I knew he was in serious mode. “It’s just what?”

I leaned back on my chair and looked at him intently.

“It’s just...what does this make us? Like you can’t kiss someone and still expect to just stay friends,” I blurted out.

In these weeks, Taehyung and I have become really comfortable around each other and can say anything without getting embarrassed.

Taehyung smiled, flashing his teeth.

“You’re right; we can’t just stay friends now can we?”

“Taehyung, be serious for once,” I could sense him becoming playful again and it was not the right time.

He pushed his chair back and got on one knee as he took my hand in both of his. Aish, I knew he was being childish again!

“Minnie, you’re everything to me. My best friend, soul mate and the love of my life. Can you also be my girlfriend?”

I pushed Taehyung hard so he lost balance and fell on his bum.

“Ya! Why’d you push me baby?” Taehyung teased.

“IT’S NOT A JOKE!” I hurled at him angrily, what does he think of himself?

Just then Mr Park came in, holding a half eaten donut and looked at the both of us before he put his mug down.

“Kim Taehyung. You only had two hours of detention; you could’ve gone home an hour ago.”

“Thanks sir, but I didn’t want to leave Minnie alone. I got her into trouble in the first place.” Taehyung replied solemnly.

He’s going to be a great actor someday.

“How charming, but hero time is over. Jasmine, your father has come to collect you. He’s waiting outside. The both of you may leave now.” Mr Park said, picking up Jungkook’s pink slip from the desk.

My heart started beating really fast and my eyes widened.

This was what I feared the most, I came to Korea for studies and now Appa was probably fuming at my misbehaviour. Aigo, what to do?

I looked over to Taehyung with fear and realised he looked shocked as well.

We silently walked out of the detention room and down the hallway, as I was playing out in my mind how the conversation would be like with Appa.

I gulped as I saw him sitting on the waiting chair, reading a magazine by the building entrance.

Dad saw the both of us from a distance, but remained seated until we got closer to him. He had a poker face on as he looked at the both of us who were now standing in front of him.

“Uh, annyeonghaseyo Samchon,” Taehyung greeted quietly.

Dad put his magazine down, looked at him and gave a fake smile before he stared at me, waiting for a greeting.

“Oh, uh, good afternoon Appa. What brings you here?” I bit my cheek.

It wasn’t supposed to come out like that.

Dad raised his eyebrows at me.

“I think you already know the answer. Let’s go, we’ll speak later. Taehyung, you too.” Dad walked off in fast strides as Taehyung and I exchanged glances, following him.

No one said anything as we started driving.

After a while, Dad stopped outside Taehyung’s house.

“Thank you for the ride home, Samchon. Won’t you come in for tea?” Taehyung was desperately trying to get back into Dad’s good books; it would’ve been quite a cute sentiment if I wasn’t so worried.

“That’s quite alright Taehyung. Before you go, listen carefully to what I’m about to say. When I was your age...”

Taehyung looked at me with wide eyes and an open mouth as I put my head down, covering my face to contain the laughter.

“When I was your age, I used to get in trouble and I used to do a lot of adventurous and silly things in the name of ‘living life to the full.’ However, I knew there was a time and place for certain kinds of behaviours and attitudes which sadly, you haven’t been able to understand. I don’t have the power to punish you as much, but just know that I will be very disappointed if your grades drop due to your misbehaviour. Anyway, give your Mum and Manse my regards; I’ll visit and see how things are, sometime soon. Good night and think about what I’ve said.”

Taehyung bowed and said goodbye to Dad before he quickly squeezed my hand behind Dad’s seat, so he wouldn’t notice.

We drove off quietly as I gazed out of the window, the sky was grey and it was reflecting my mood. After what seemed like hours, Dad finally spoke.

“I didn’t expect this from you, Song Jasmine.” He was looking at me through the rear mirror whilst driving.

I kept staring out of the window; I would be lectured and most probably be grounded for a long time.

“I’m sorry Appa, it won’t happen again,” I managed to say.

“Yes, it won’t happen again and that’s why when we get back home, I want your phone, laptop, iPad and iPod. Jasmine, I didn’t bring you to Daegu so that you can misbehave and dishonour your family through silly behaviour. You aren’t a child anymore, things have changed and it’s time you realised that.”

Dad has never raised his voice, his tone was enough to put anyone in their place. But my iPod too?

“I understand Appa. But how will I do my school work?” I regretted that immediately, here comes a lecture.

We had just gotten off the freeway and it was getting dark, I checked my watch and it was nearly 9pm.

“School work? Is that not what you told me you were finishing all these days after school? If you really need to, you can use mine or Seoyeon’s laptop under supervision.”

I felt a vibration as I discreetly checked my phone, I had a new message.

I’m sorry –Taehyung

Smiling at his instant message, I was just about to reply when Dad suddenly brought me back to the reality.

“Are you even listening to me? Where have your manners gone Song Jasmine?” Dad’s voice was slowly turning up a pitch.

“Until your exams are over, you must stay away from Taehyung. He is obviously distracting you and under no circumstances can your grades drop below 80 per cent. I will be very angry if you let yourself get distracted, you should know your worth.”

We had parked up outside home and Dad turned around, facing me. The sky was now dark and only a slice of pink was left in the sky.

“Do you understand?” Dad asked sharply.

“Yes, Abeoji. I understand, I won’t disappoint you or let myself down.”

I sighed as Dad opened his hand out, waiting for me to give him my phone. I looked at him with puppy eyes and he shook his head.

“Nope, those eyes won’t work on me, missy. Now give me your phone.”

I slowly turned my phone off as I gave it to him.

“Good.” He put it in his pocket and got out of the car.

I didn’t bother asking when I’ll get it back because Dad was right; I am getting way too distracted for my own good. Taehyung and Krystal were the only ones who ever messaged or called me so I guess my phone being taken wasn’t such a bad thing.

But my laptop! Aish, how would I blog?

As soon as we entered, Seojun ran over to me and started waving his small arms excitedly for me to pick him up. I smiled brightly as I threw him in the air and caught him again. He was laughing and I did it three more times, until I was panting.

The twins were growing up so quickly, they could now eat their own food and whenever I felt down, just looking at their innocent faces brightened my mood as it did just now.

“Shhh, not so loud.”

I looked up and saw Aunt Jeong rocking Seoeon, who was now falling asleep on her shoulder as I took my shoes off and put them on the side.

“Who’s here?” I whispered, noticing there were more shoes in the porch than usual.

“The mayor and some town elders. Everyone’s already eaten so I’ll warm up some dinner for you.” Aunt Jeong gave me a side hug, trying not to awake Seoeon up.

“No thank you Aunty, I’m not hungry. But I thought the town meeting was tomorrow?” I asked.

“That’s right, but something important came up today so they’re dealing with it. I don’t know what, so don’t ask me,” Aunt Jeong said, noticing I was about to open my mouth to question again as I chuckled.

“Oh by the way, your mother called today about four times. Jasmine, you really need to get back to her, she’s been very worried.” Aunt Jeong told me sternly.

I spoke to Mum on Skype last week for about two hours and I called her on Monday as well.

It was really nice hearing her voice and seeing her face again, I’ve missed her loads, but I don’t really want to speak to her too much. She can’t stop talking about her wedding preparations and it’s driving me insane! I told Dad about it, and he didn’t really seem bothered which pissed me off even more.

When I interrogated him about his carefree attitude, he chose to inform me only now that their

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter