Jimin my best friend

A Foreigner in Danger
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

I was going to be late again if I didn’t run faster to Mr Wang’s citizenship class.

The bell had just gone, and I was desperately clinging onto my satchel as I was running through the school grounds and hallways, hoping Gyojang Yi wouldn't be patrolling the corridors for late comers.

I’d promised Dad not to get into any more trouble and being late was not a good start. He only gave me my phone back late last night for communication purposes, but nothing else. In the excitement of getting it back, I slept very late. 

As I was turning the hallway to enter class, I saw Taehyung about to walk in. I was glad that he was late as well because it was his fault for messaging me so much last night when he noticed I was finally online on Whatsapp.

He noticed me running and stopped.

“Hurry up slowcoach, we're starting the project today!” He yelled to me.

I glared at him, panting and stopped short of the class door, bending down to catch my breath again.

I pushed him aside and just as I was entering the class, Taehyung pinched my and I jumped in shock, before turning red and running over to my seat. I looked over to Taehyung, who was now giving me a y smile as I giggled, brushing my bangs off my face.

The class carried on talking after stopping momentarily, thinking we were Mr Wang.

I threw my bag on the floor and sat down next to an already seated Jimin who had his head tilted and was furiously scribbling something. He didn’t say hi to me, just tucked his chair in so I could get through.

“Good morning to you too,” I said sarcastically.

Jimin looked up and tried to smile as he looked back down again.

“What are you doing?” I asked, trying to start conversation.

Jimin ignored me and carried on.

“What’s wrong Jimin?” I remembered what Jungkook told Taehyung about Jimin’s drastic change in behaviour.

Jimin brushed his hair back and sighed before laughing.

“Why would anything be wrong with me? I’m just stressed about exams, that’s all,” Jimin smiled at me but avoided eye contact.

Just then, Mr Yang glided in before I could interrogate Jimin for blatantly lying to me.

“Okay class, settle down. Ah, so nice of you two to join us,” Mr Wang looked over to Taehyung then to me, fixing his white framed glasses. Today he had red highlights in his spiky hair; he was probably such a rebel at our age.

“If you read the timetables that you were individually given, you should know that every Monday until the end of the year will be wholly dedicated to your citizenship project. We’ll start today, so if you all line up in a single file by the door quietly. I said quietly!”

The class was rushing to line up, eager to leave school.

“Settle down! Today isn’t for loitering or misbehaving, when you wear this uniform you are representing your school. Fill in your diaries accordingly and don’t forget any misbehaviour could forfeit any chance you may have to chase your dreams of being recruited.”

Mr Wang said the last bit louder which silenced everyone immediately. Our class was the most musically gifted and every teacher used this threat to their advantage.

I nudged Jimin to hurry up; we were the last ones as I picked up our folder and he walked off still silent.

Jimin scrunched the paper he was scribbling on and threw it in the bin, but missed. I was curious as to what Jimin was writing, so I pocketed the crunched paper discreetly, hoping to read it later.

“Jimin, you were lying to me earlier, tell me properly what’s wrong. Ya, wasn’t it you who said friends aren’t just for show? So hurry up and tell me what’s on your mind.”

Trailing at the back of the line, I could easily speak to Jimin without any distractions.

*****************

JIMIN’S POV

The world will never know how sad and lonely I am and ever since Minnie returned, this loneliness engulfs me.

I scream but no one hears, I cry but no one listens.

My one wish will never be fulfilled.

Why can’t she just leave me alone? And now she’s asking what’s on my mind.

She is and has always been on my mind. A part of me wishes she never came back.

As selfish as it sounds, at least I would be spared seeing my best friend with the love of my life. Why is life so unfair?

I sighed as she was innocently waiting for an answer.

It was hard enough letting her go all those years back; she was like my beating heart that I couldn’t control. Our distance grew, but my brain never seemed to let her go. And now that she’s all grown up, why did she have to turn so beautiful?

Her smile and eyes still have that same sparkle, but she’s become too stunning for someone like me.

Ever since she returned, I can’t take my eyes off her. But now I have no place to look at her like that, Taehyung called yesterday.

He was over the moon because they had finally made their relationship official.

Little did he know that I couldn’t get a minute of sleep last night. I know he looks out of his window to mine seeing if my light is off, indicating whether I’ve fallen asleep.

But crying is better done in the dark, no? That way, no one can point fingers at you, calling you a wimp. You can hold your head up high the next day, knowing all your pain was washed out on your pillow.

My soul is intertwined with Taehyung, but my heart only beats for Jasmine.

I was aware that she was looking at me, so I briefly closed my eyes, hoping this new pain would disappear.

“Jimin, don’t let them take me! Please, you’re my bestest friend and I love you! Stop them!”

“You have to go to London Minnie, your mummy is crying, look!”

Minnie turned around to see her Mum crying. Tears were rolling down Minnie’s cheeks, she didn’t want to leave Jimin.

“Jiminie, promise you’ll never forget me? You’ll visit me too, right?”

“I promise I will come every Christmas and I promise never to forget you as long as you don’t forget me.”

They hugged one final time as Minnie’s flight was boarding.

I opened my eyes and smiled, this memory was the only thing keeping me alive. It was my only hope that Jasmine loves me too, somewhere deep down.

As much as I love Taehyung, he will never be able to love Minnie like I do.

Whenever I feel angry at her, whenever I feel upset, I force myself to smile using this memory.

I sighed again, I needed to face reality.

This love is too painful, she’s too far away. I can’t reach her and she doesn’t see me in her eyes anymore. I wish she’d come back into my arms like she used to when we were little.

A loser like me has too many unrealistic wishes.

But I have hope that one day; maybe Jasmine will smile at me the same way she smiles at Taehyung, just once will be enough for a lifetime.

Just once, please.

*****************

JASMINE'S POV

I stared at Jimin, he didn’t answer me, he was just smiling to himself and now we were at the school gates.

“Ya Jimin! Answer me now!” I said as I shook him out of his thoughts.

All of a sudden, Jimin laughed loudly.

“Aigo, you’re so cute when you worry about me. Don’t worry, honestly, nothing is wrong. I just felt like getting you annoyed!”

I glared at him as I hit him playfully on his arm. That idiot, he really got me worried.

We all stopped in our pairs outside the school as Mr Wang addressed us all individually one last time, telling everyone where to go.

Taehyung and Sooyoung were at the far left of the line and as I turned my head, Sooyoung saw me looking so she pulled an unknowing Taehyung closer to her and smirked at me.

“Taehyung oppa, could you please tie my hair up for me?” She turned her back to him, holding up her golden hair in a bunch.

Would Taehyung actually tie her hair up for her?

Taehyung inattentively replied, “Do it yourself.”

“I would, but it’s never tight enough when I do it. We can both concentrate on the project if you help me now,” she was really grinding my gears as she put on a baby voice that didn’t suit her.

My mouth dropped open as Taehyung rolled his eyes and tied up her hair.

His big hands easily wrapped around her long ponytail as he tied it tightly and pushed her head forward. She looked at me and pouted her bottom lip out as she smirked and gave Taehyung a hug.

I was fuming, but I turned away. I wasn’t even as mad at Sooyoung as I was at Taehyung. She’s a by nature, but he should know better!

Apparently he was now my boyfriend, but he was still flirting with girls like her.

It may be an innocent gesture on his behalf, but he knows that Sooyoung throws insults at me whenever she can, so it’s his duty to automatically despise her. I made a mental note to ignore him when he tries to speak to me next.

“Arasso? Do you understand?” Mr Wang was addressing me and Jimin, but I hadn’t been paying attention.

Jimin replied for us and looked at my puzzled expression before he quickly explained where we have to go and what we have to do.

I smiled back at him gratefully and gave him a quick hug; he always knew what I was thinking.

My brain kept telling me Jimin would be the perfect boyfriend, but the heart wants what it wants, and I was deep in love with Taehyung.

“Haha, get off! Okay, so let’s visit the orphanage today and get to know the kids. It’s only a ten minute walk from here,” Jimin smiled as he pointed to the road we had to go to.

Everyone was dispersing to different areas and as I watched Taehyung walking alongside Sooyoung, he suddenly turned around and winked at me. I scowled at him and took Jimin by the arm, walking fast down the road.

We were having loads of fun, and I couldn’t stop laughing as Jimin showed me how to do a body wave. He was really flexible and was full of energy, but soon I was out of breath.

“Ya, Jiminie I thought you said it was only a ten minute walk?” I said, clutching my side as a sharp cramp shot through me.

“It is. We’ve only been walking for five minutes! It’s because this is a massive hill, but don’t worry. Here, jump on if you’re that tired,” Jimin bent his back down, signalling me to jump on it.

“Aigo, but you’ll get tired though?” I asked. I knew Jimin wouldn’t be able to handle my weight.

“Don’t be silly, I work out you know! Now jump on quickly,” Jimin took his bag off and I held it as he was giving me a piggy back ride. I couldn’t stop laughing, it was really fun and I desperately was in need of this lift.

“Jimin, why are you such a nice person? Taehyung would’ve thrown me off after one second!” I joked.

“Trust me, I always ask myself the same thing,” Jimin was struggling to talk as he was carrying me, so I stopped speaking until we arrived.

An ahjumma (elderly lady) opened the door of the large, yet cute building. She smiled brightly at the both of us as we introduced ourselves and when we stepped inside, colours were bursting from every corner.

The children could be heard laughing and playing as I looked around. Paintings, colourful hand prints and photographs were pinned everywhere.

I couldn’t stop smiling as I nudged Jimin to look at the height charts of all the children. He too was beaming at the sight of the new world we had just entered.

“This would’ve been perfect for us as kids, don’t you think?” I flashed a huge grin at Jimin and I knew he understood what I meant.

“Yeah, look here! This painting stand would’ve been great! Ya, you would’ve sat on that stool in front of me, whilst I painted your portrait!” I ruffled Jimin’s hair, his eye smile was priceless.

Just then, an adorable little girl came running to us and wrapped her small arms around my hips.

“Eonni, you came!” She was stretching her arms as though she wanted a lift up. I didn’t know who she was, but she was so cute and had a beautiful smile, I couldn’t resist.

I picked her up and kissed her as Jimin quickly took a picture and showed me and the little girl who must’ve been no older than six. We were given a camera to capture photos for the project and Jimin was a really good photographer as the picture came out with perfect lighting.

“Aigo, this is such a beautiful picture!” Jimin laughed as he picked up another girl that also ran up to him, these girls looked like sisters.

The ahjumma came and took the girls away and told us to sit in the front room as she poured some juice for us.

She explained how this was a girls orphanage, the boys one was further into Daegu city. They didn’t get as much funding and donations because not many people knew of the location.

She told us there were seventeen girls living here at the moment and they wanted to accommodate much more, but they didn’t have the money or equipment for that many growing young girls.

The girls were all peeking in the door as Jimin was beckoning them in.

I tried to put on a brave smile, but it saddened me so much seeing their innocent faces longing for outside love.

Who would even leave these beautiful children? Of course everyone has their own circumstances, but a child is a blessing no matter what the hardship.

The day went by as we got to know the girls.

I was reading and helping a group of them write, whilst Jimin was giving the more fun girls piggy back rides and trying to teach them how to dance. My group ended up sitting back watching Jimin teach the other girls, as I laughed and quickly took pictures of him.

I checked the picture roll and was beaming to myself, he looked like their big brother and I was so happy to see Jimin so happy.

I found another picture of one of the girls jumping up to hug him and I quickly took my own phone out to take a picture of this one. I would keep it to show Jimin sometime in the future; he’d make a perfect Dad someday.

As the girls were napping, we toured the orphanage and found that the garden was hideously overgrown. We asked the ahjumma for gardening supplies and even though she told us her son came and did it monthly, it looked as though no one touched it for years.

Jimin cut the grass as I pulled the weeds.

“Here Jimin, catch!” I tossed a long weed at him and he stumbled back.

“Ya! What even was that?” He chuckled as he pretended not to have gotten frightened.

“Scaredy cat! Can’t even take a weed!” I cackled, throwing more weeds at him.

Jimin quickly got up, and was walking over to me with a rude boy expression as he suddenly swung me off my feet and threw me in a pile of soft grass ts.

Jimin couldn’t hold the straight face and burst out laughing as he took the camera and clicked another picture of me struggling to get out of the pile of grass.

It took us hours, but eventually we had gotten through and lay down on the freshly cut grass, side by side, panting and sweating.

The ahjumma came out with a tray of chocolate milk and cookies as we both rushed over to devour them. She sat down on a garden chair and was watching the both of us intently.

“Thank you so much for this, both of you honestly did too much. The garden has never looked so clean!”

We stopped our slurping and shook our heads, bowing to her. Jimin’s mouth was too full, so I swallowed and replied, “Aniyo, ahjumma. This was our pleasure, please don’t say thank you and make us feel ashamed.”

Jimin nodded fiercely in agreement, still trying to swallow the cookies and the ahjumma laughed.

“Ah, you two remind me of when my husband and I were young. You must stay together, you two give off an amazing vibe- one that I haven’t seen

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter