Hope and wish

Goodbye, forever.

Bending down to see what it was, she saw the box containing the couple ring both Junhyung and her had gotten while they were still dating.  She picked it up and sat on her bed. As she opened the box slowly, the memories slowly came back to her. She took it out to examine it. She traced the words engraved on the interior of the ring - hope&wish. She closed her eyes and let out a sigh.

 

-Flashback-

“Oppa, let’s get couple rings!” HyunA said in excitement to Junhyung while looking at him earnestly. Couple rings were something she wanted to get so badly. She has seen many couples from her friends to strangers having them when they’re in a relationship which often made her jealous. Finally, she thought, it was her turn. He just shook his head; a sign she took as a ‘no’ from him. She lowered her head while walking away from him.

 

He knew she was disappointed, and couldn't help but secretly laugh at her. He was keeping something from her, and it was meant to be a secret. Well, she would be surprised if she ever finds out about it. I should just break the news to her later before we get back to our dorms. Junhyung smiled at his thoughts before running after her, she had walked quite a distance from him already.

-Flashback-

 

She rubbed her temples with her middle finger and thumb. Her headache wasn’t easing, instead it was becoming worse. She looked down at the ring in her hand. Why do I keep missing you? She slowly put the ring on her left ring finger, just like how he used to. Do you still have the ring oppa?

 

-Flashback-

Junhyung was getting them something to eat and drink while HyunA wait patiently for him on a bench somewhere in the mall. She looked around the mall feeling bored, until she saw this jewelry shop. She walked up to the shop and admired the wedding bands that were put up on displayed. Her eyes beamed with delight as she looked at the beautifully designed rings. Junhyung had spotted her looking at the rings while coming back with their food. He knew that her desire to get couple rings were just plainly too strong to be ignored.

 

“HyunA, what were you looking at just now?” Junhyung asked while walking over to HyunA. She had quickly hurried back to her seat upon seeing Junhyung nearby awhile ago. She looked at Junhyung with the fake on confused look, “What are you talking about?” “I know what you’re thinking of, HyunA. And I know what you were looking at just now.” Junhyung said while smiling at HyunA. As she flustered, his smile turned into a smirk. She’s cute when she’s flustered. “I have something to tell you.” He continued while HyunA tried her best to not show her flustered side.

 

Her eyes widen as he took out a navy blue box. “A gift. Now open it and see if you like it.” Junhyung said while looking at her surprised face. A smile appeared on her face as she looked at the content in the box. “Oh my, what’s this oppa!?” Her voice became shrilly as she becomes excited. Junhyung nodded while smiling at her. “Really? A couple ring!? When and where did you get these?” She giggled joyfully before pulling him in for a really tight hug.

 

“Relax HyunA, you’re suffocating me. I can hardly breathe.” Junhyung said as HyunA slowly let go out him. “Sorry oppa, you know me. I’m just… you know… excited!” HyunA laughed. She took out the rings to examine them. She saw a small engraving on both rings – hope&wish. “Oppa, what’s this?” She said while showing him the rings.

 

“There are meanings behind these engravings. Hope stands for our confidence in our future, while wish represents our desire and yearning to be one – a couple for a lifetime.” Junhyung said while reaching for her hands and gently put on the ring onto her left ring finger. Her eyes teary from his words, it touched her so much. “Oppa, I didn’t know you were this romantic.” She laughed and joked, trying to make the atmosphere better. “But thank you oppa.” She smiled before planting a kiss on his lips. He smiled back before returning the kiss.

-Flashback-

 

Hope… our confidence in our future. Where did it go? Huh, oppa, where did it went? What about our wish, our desire and yearning to be a couple for a lifetime? You… you broke everything. She slowly removed the ring and placed it in the box. Slowly, and gently, closing the box, at the same time putting away all the memories that the ring reminded her of. And she suddenly remembered what she wanted to do – to ask Junhyung how she ended up in his car. “Oppa, how did I end up in your car yesterday?” She hit the send button. Your message is sent. “HyunA, your porridge is ready. Come out and eat.” Jihyun called from the kitchen. HyunA let out a sigh before putting both the ring and her phone away before walking out of the room.