Epilogue 2 – Boy or Girl

THINK TWICE!

It has been two months since Jungyeon had gone to live in Paris.
Having worked in a coffee shop part-time throughout her high school years, she thought nothing could be better than learning the craft of coffee making in one of the capitals of cafés during her gap year.

Oh, how she was wrong.

“Jungyeon! An iced coffee for table thirteen!”

“Jungyeon! They want an Americano at table three!”

“Hey! A latté for table one!”

“Ahhhh…13+3+1…okay…got it!” cried Jungyeon has she juggled multiple orders in one go.
It was already busy enough when she was working as an assistant to the café’s barista but with Claude off to surprise his girlfriend or something, she was stuck with all the coffee making chores of the day.

As she turned to pass a freshly brewed coffee to one of the waiters, she noticed an angelic side profile drawn on the sunlight.
With silky hair at shoulder’s length, a sweet smile crept under a sharp nose.
That was one beautiful lady.

Suddenly, that person’ phone rang and she picked it up, hurrying off somewhere after placing some cash on the table.
As she ran off, Jungyeon noticed a worn out, leather-bound notebook sat comfortably beside the unfinished cup of coffee.

“Hey!” Jungyeon cried out after the lady as she exited the barista counter.
But she was gone.

Sitting on her bed in the apartment she was sharing with a few Korean students studying abroad, Jungyeon gently opened the dog-eared notebook she picked up today at work. She felt like if she added any more pressure the pages would peel off. She recalled the slender figure of the lady today and imagined how her willowy fingers would have softly caressed each page. Jungyeon could not explain it but there was something magical about the person she met today.

Jungyeon came across the inside of the cover of the notebook.


The cursive English word “Angel” was carved inside the notebook. In the next pages were diagrams of diamonds with intricate designs and descriptions next to each of them. Based on the worn-out aesthetic of the paper and the lightness of the ink of the text, Jungyeon deduced this notebook was not written by the lady today, but perhaps someone much older – maybe not even alive anymore.

The image of an old man writing in a notebook brought up memories for Jungyeon.
Back when she visited Sungjoon’s house to play as a kid, Sungjoon’s grandfather would often jot things in a notebook.
He said he was getting old and needed a constant record to remember things. It also helped him think when things were on paper he said.
He was long gone by now but this memory made Jungyeon wonder if Sungjoon picked up the habit of writing whenever he was frustrated from his grandfather.

Sungjoon.

She said she would stop thinking about him but here she was again.
Maybe she should have said something to him before she left.
Why was she so good at advising Jackson but not herself?!
Honestly, she thought she was pretty much over him but all the years of knowing him and the fact they were still in contact via KakaoTalk made it hard to feel nothing for him.
Maybe it was just nostalgia.

Soon, Jungyeon collapsed in bed from thinking too much and just the physical exhaustion from the endless coffee-making earlier that day, drifting into her sleep with the mysterious book about diamonds in her hands.

Bringing the notebook back to work was the right decision.

As expected, the book was definitely something of value and the beautiful lady would return.
And she did. With two men.

She was speaking in broken French to one of the waiters when Jungyeon noticed her friends were speaking Korean.
She walked forward and passed the notebook to the lady.

“I think this is yours.”

“Oh, thank you!”

Suddenly, Jungyeon noticed the lady’s voice was quite…deep for a woman.

“Come on Jeonghan, let’s go!”

Jeonghan…sounds like a strange name for a girl…

“Ya, why are you so slow hyung!”

Hyung?!

“Here are my contact details,” said the impossibly beautiful man called Jeonghan, passing a small sheet of paper of Jungyeon, “A fellow Korean picking up this important notebook…I feel like we might meet again.

“…Thanks…”

As Jungyeon stood there holding and sheet of paper completely flustered, Jeonghan placed the notebook into his leather messenger bag and walked off with his friends.

“Why are you giving your number to random men?” one of his friends queried.

“I am pretty sure that was a girl, Seungcheol,” Jeonghan responded, “Pretty sure it was.”