Chapter 10 – Recommendations

THINK TWICE!

“She’s a WHAT?”

Jimin gasped at me and Jackson as Nayeon and Jungyeon help the new girl get food at the cafeteria.

“Nayeon sunbae said the teacher mentioned the new girl used to be a model in Taiwan, a pretty famous one too,” I explained, picking at my lunch, “She’s apparently the girl in the recent LG U+ CFs.”

“AND SHE’S A FIRST YEAR?! What is this sorcery?!” Jimin howled, squishing her own cheeks, “Why can’t I have her genes?”

“Even if you had her genes you would still be a potato,” grunted Jackson, who got himself a kick to the shins.

“Annyeong, Jimin-shi.”

Junior stood by our table, looking at Jimin. Jimin quickly crossed her legs all lady-like like nothing just happened and flashed a sweet smile at him.

“We are still down for the movie later this afternoon right?”

“Of course! See you then!”

Junior grinned and walked away, “See you then!”

“Wait, what?” I said, dumbfounded, “You are going out with our Jinyoung?”

“We are just…hanging out,” smirked Jimin mischievously, “I have other guy friends too.” She flashed Jackson a look, “Ones that don’t see me as a potato.”

Jackson shrugged and stuffed a load of kimchi in his mouth before chugging water and regretting the decision.

Tzuyu sat down besides Jimin and was joined by her “parents”, who were obviously struggling to preserve their marriage.

“Here’s some strawberry cheesecakes and banana milk, our school’s best snacks,” noted Nayeon as she placed them before Tzuyu, “You should try some. I highly recommend it.”

Jungyeon made a face before sliding over a box, “You came to Korea so it’s best to try immersing in our culture. Try some cheese topokki, my child.”

Tzuyu looked blankly at her culturally conflicting parents. “I will try both…” she replied, pushing the food besides her lunch tray, “but later.”

She began digging into her food and that was just some photogenic food consumption right there.

Bambam twirled his way around a crowd of students, nearly bumping into the pile of food Momo was carrying before sliding beside me.

“Now that’s a mukbang I would pay to watch,” he muttered dreamily before noticing me and Jackson’s judging gaze, “…mind if I sit here?”


“These are the posters we have so far,” Jihyo pointed to her Macbook screen, “Thanks for volunteering to help, Chaeyoung-shi. The edits are great!”

“My pleasure,” said the tiny girl as she grabbed a chair beside me, “Hi oppa.”

I suddenly noticed gazes from Momo and Sana at Chaeyoung’s gesture.

“Um…ah...hi.”

Chaeyoung just smiled warmly at the people in the room, “I’m Son Chaeyoung from Year 1 Class 2. Please take care of me.”

After a moment of awkward silence, everyone just turned to face Jihyo again.

“Have we thought of what we will do to further your image yet?” Jae chimed in, “We have ideas and posters and all but everyone has that.”

“I’m trying to work on that too…what do you guys recommend…?” Jihyo noted, before her phone started to ring. Frowning at the caller ID, she turned to the others, “I need to take this but I will be back.”

As Jihyo shuffled out of the classroom, my eyes followed her, wondering what seemed to bother her when she picked up the phone.

Chaeyoung suddenly turned to me and was about to say something when Momo chimed in, “You are really good at art.”

“Er….thanks…” Chaeyoung noted, taken aback from the sudden attention of the girl munching on some Cheetos.

“Do you do posters often?” Momo continued, “Peach Attack need some for the upcoming gala performances.”

Chaeyoung looked blankly before breaking into an awkward smile. “Erm sure..”

“Actually, can you help DAY6 too?” asked Wonpil, “It’s Jae and my band and we are aiming to take the crown of this year’s gala and probably get scouted…”

“Yah, why would someone scout our high school gala?” Sana joined in, with her arms folded, “It’s not like we are filming Dream High or something.”

“And would it not make sense for Chaeyoung to make posters for competing acts,” Bambam added, while typing like mad on KakaoTalk.

“Actually, Sungjoon oppa…” Chaeyoung muttered, turning to face me, just as Jihyo opened the door to the room.

“Guys, meeting adjourned,” Jihyo said, “Emergency situation.”

“Perfect!” yelled Bambam as he grabbed his school bag and raced out of the room.

“YA KUNPIMOOK BHUWAKUL!!!” 

Jihyo cried at the boy as if to ask for something but he just dashed off screaming, “I GOT A DATE TO GO TO!!!”

“Date? He must be dreaming,” Jae shrugged and Wonpil nodded knowingly.

Jihyo sighed and looked around the room, from the DAY6 boys to the girls, and then to me.

“Hey Sungjoon sunbae, you free after school?”

“I think so….” I responded without thinking and suddenly turned to see Chaeyoung looking at me blankly.

“That’s great! Because I will need your help,” Jihyo said before I could even respond.

TTTtttttt


I sat in an apartment foreign to me as a little girl stared blankly at me.

Slowly she walked over.

And threw a crayon at my face.

Another little girl rolled around laughing at this act.

WHY IS PORORO NOT ON RIGHT NOW???

I sighed as I tried to think of ways to deal with Jihyo’s younger sisters before she was back from the market.


Chaeyoung pounded on her desk, annoyed.

Dahyun looked at her troubled friend perplexedly from the entrance of the classroom.

“At least he promised to hang with you some other time…?”

Chaeyoung looked up at Dahyun, clearly in no mood for games. “BUT HE LITERALLY FORGOT ABOUT IT. When Jihyo sunbae asked if he was free, he was immediately like ‘yeah’.”

“Maybe because he just thought it was a typical hangout with his little sister so he forgot…” Dahyun mused before realizing what she said.

“ASKJDKSAKNSAKCNSAK I'M SO SORRY!!!!”

But it was too late. Chaeyoung stood up with fire in her eyes.

“Look, I’ll buy you coffee! We cool?”


“Hey, it’s Jihyo!”

Jaehyun waved enthusiastically at the frequent customer of SMTown Café. Yes, they were a chain store with a factory like output but they care about their service and do remember the familiar faces. They do specials too. Like the NCTea. And 7th Sense Smoothies that could open your eyes with its unique flavor.

“Anyeong!” Jihyo smiled brightly as she carried her bags of groceries.

“You might be interested, because Bambam’s here,” Jaehyun whispered from the cashier, before gesturing at a window seat.

Jihyo peered from the counter to see her friend chatting excitedly to a familiar looking girl.

“It’s Sorn-shi!” Jihyo gasped, quickly covering . She knew her voice resonated well and this was not the time for it to resonate. “But aren’t they just Thai buddies? Good friends?”

“What? It’s a date?!” Jaehyun looked somewhat amused, “Well, it looks like Bambam at least thinks it is. He really caked his face.”

“Well, Bambam always takes his makeup seriously…but you might have a point,” Jihyo squinted her huge eyes and scanned Bambam’s well pimple concealed face.

“Hi Jihyo.”

She turned to see the SMTown Café barista and the resident awkward bunny.

“Hey Doyoung oppa! How’s it going?”

“….it’s good….” he noted quietly before Jaehyun nudged him and seemed to use all his strength to blurt out a “It’s great.”

“But yeah, what are you getting anyways,” Jaehyun asked, “The usual?”

“Yes, an ‘All For You’ Special Americano would be wonderful,” Jihyo grinned.

Doyoung rolled up his sleeves knowingly and prepared to go to the machines when Jihyo dropped a question.

“Doyoung oppa, what drink do you recommend for a guy?”