Chapter 38 – Realization

THINK TWICE!

“Why did you call me here?”

Jungyeon peered from her behind a bush as Nayeon confronted a girl in front of her.
Jungyeon had followed Nayeon out after the talent show to see what she was up to. After multiple subway stops, Jungyeon found herself in Seoul National University, the most prestigious college in South Korea. It was rather empty though, as it was a weekend and during the evening.

And Nayeon was there to meet someone.
With milky white skin, rosy lips and warm eyes, the girl looked perfect, her curves hugging the fashionable one piece dress on her.

“That’s a sweet way to greet your sister.”

“!!!”

Jungyeon’s jaws dropped at this exchange.
This family must be some factory of perfect kids.
A unnie this attractive attending Seoul National University?

“Of course, since we never talk to each other that much anyways, Suji-shi. What do you want?” Nayeon bluntly stated.

“Here,” her sister passed some brochures to Nayeon, “I think you would want to look at this.”

Nayeon rolled her eyes as she snatched them from her sister.
American College Brochures
. For film.

“What are these for?!”

Suji smiled in this quiet and controlled manner like Nayeon often did, “I think you should be the first in our family to study abroad. To study the film courses that you love.

Hysterical laughter could be heard echoing the almost empty campus.
Nayeon shuffled back, trying to contain her reaction to her sister’s words.

“What is there in it for you, sending me far, far away…” she said, slowly gaining her composure, “Don’t you have it all already? The attention our parents, the love and respect of friends and school mates, a nice job lined up…”

“NAYEON-AH!” Her sister suddenly placed her hands on Nayeon’s shoulders, halting her rant.

“I’m sorry.”


I sat at the hospital beside Mina and Momo’s parents.
Jiyoon and Jihyun were with me while Jihyo’s parents were still on their way.

“Are you sure your foot is okay?” I asked Mina, whose foot was bound.

“Guess it would be quite a while before I can dance again for fun,” she mused, “But it was kind of worth it. Momo thought it was jjang. And she killed her ballet move for the first time too.

“I guess you two made up then.”

Suddenly, Mina’s face reddened.

“Ehh?!”

“Nothing, it’s just kind of hot in here…

“No, it’s sooo cold!” Jiyoon said and her twin nodded in agreement.

“Here! Take my jacket!” I quickly threw my blazer over the two little ones.

Mina looked at my interactions between the little ones.

“How often did you hang with these kids?”

“Quite a few times since I first helped Jihyo babysit them. They said they preferred me over Bambam.

“I can see why,” Mina noted, “Plus what you did earlier was impressive.

“Carrying Jihyo to the nurse’s office? That was nothing,” I said, scratching my head.

Didn’t you eat some of the cookies too? Our box specifically,” Mina looked straight in my eyes, “You had as many as Jihyo.

“Well, I did not dance and sing so while it kind of hurt, it was definitely not as bad as her or Momo’s situation…” Although looking back, the pain almost dissipated when I carried her away.

“If I saw what I saw today,” Mina commented, “I would not have pushed you in the Jeju Camp…”

I looked at her, confused.

“I would have pushed you towards someone else instead.”


Nayeon pulled away from her sister’s grasp.


“I’m sorry your ! You think a ‘sorry’ can wipe our slate clean?”

“I KNOW THAT,” replied Suji, finally raising her voice although still controlled and courteous, “I know it was because of how well I heeded mother and father’s words that they made life so hard for you, that my grades were a burden to you-

“That if you didn’t exist things would have been better for me!” Nayeon screamed, tears filling her eyes.

“The least I can do now,” Suji continued, ignoring Nayeon’ weeping, “Is to set you free.”

“Then why did you convince mother and father to make me retake 3rd year? Why not send me to a tutoring center?! Why MAKE ME FACE THE MUSIC?!”

Suji looked at her younger sister and softened, pacing closer towards her, “I wanted you to find yourself.”

Jungyeon watched as the older girl wiped a tear from her own eyes, “I knew you would try playing games again, trying to regain your position as queen bee and try to win people over…but I thought going back with the knowledge of having done below expectations, having to face hoobaes...it would change you. And you did change.

“What do you mean?!”

Suji broke into a smile, “I saw you the other day…with friends. Real friends. Sungjoon…Jungyeon…those guys, right? You were smiling like the time you won a Squirtle stuff toy on your own in the arcade a few years back. It was a genuine smile. Not your calculated, polite ones.

Nayeon grew silent. Suddenly, she threw the brochures into the air and walked away.

“They aren’t my friends. They are part of a bigger game. I would only come back stronger than before, just you wait and see.”

Suji kneeled down to pick up the brochures.

“Nayeon-ah, it’s time to stop acting out your planned-out life. Live your life naturally, and be who you want to be."