Chapter 16 – Blessing or a Curse

THINK TWICE!

Was this a blessing or a curse?

I stood awkwardly in my swim trunks and a life jacket as Sana and Mina stood side by side in swimsuits with their arms crossed.

Yes, it was quite a view but the uncomfortable atmosphere was suffocating.

“You owe me, Kim Sungjoon so you better make this summer camp fun for me” was a message I got from master Sana, who quickly asked for my location and joined me and my mentee.

Before I knew it, I was emptying my wallet for a one hour banana boat session.
Apparently it would reduce a mission off my debt to Sana and the rice cakes I owe Mina.
Yes, I forgot to bring her rice cakes after I said I would. I . So I guess there’s that.

“Okay class, have your life jacket belts fastened. Now let me teach you the basic stance and posture when it comes to the banana boats!” the instructor spoke with a ringing and authoritative tone.
I thought this was supposed to be fun?! There were these procedures too?
But since Sana and Mina diligently followed the instructor, I could only oblige as well.


“Did you see her?”

“No, she’s not in the shop.”

“Well, I didn’t find her by the park either…”

Jungyeon and Nayeon looked at each other uncertainly as they continued to find no trace of Tzuyu.

“There’s got to be some way we can find her!” Jungyeon grunted, trying to stay as calm as she could in the situation, “Like maybe she went to some place she would like…”

“AH!” Nayeon suddenly screamed loudly, making Jungyeon jump, “Doesn’t Tzuyu like dogs?”

“How do you even know that?!”

“I was browsing through her Facebook the other day. It’s important to learn about people you have to spend a lot of time with…” Nayeon continued, noticing Jungyeon looking somewhat impressed, “Is there a dog shelter or pet shop nearby?”

Jungyeon caught a glimpse of something on a poster and pointed to the wall behind Nayeon.

“Jeju Island Dog Walk Summer Special!”


“We lost him!”

Bambam groaned as Jimin looked at Google Maps for nearby coffee shops.
Jackson and Youngji had disappeared without a trace after a few turns. Natty crossed her arms looking at the two before finally making her presence known with a cough.

“I think it’s time for us to give up with this whole paparazzi thing. Ever heard of Jeju Island pork ramen?” She gestured to the shop behind her, “Also, Jihyo and Momo sunbae are inside. We should join them.


“Wow, you got a keen eye for things.”

Jackson shrugged as he turned to Youngji, “I’m a fencer after all. Plus, I’m their friends. I know what they would be up to and how to shake them off.

Youngji giggled as Somin and Chaekyung excused themselves to go to the bathroom.
Jackson seemed uneasy to see them go, leaving him alone with Youngji.
And she seemed to notice it too.

“It is strange you are so good at reading your surroundings, but not yourself.”

Suddenly, the girl leaned awfully close to Jackson.

“You remember, don’t you?”


NONONONONONONO

My mind was a blank as the banana boat went off in tremendous speed.
It was a lot faster than I expected and sitting behind two flailing girls did not help. Yes, even the stoic Mina seemed to be reacting to things.

Suddenly, a squeal could be heard in front of me.
Sana seemed to be losing her balance, sliding somewhat comically off the float as if doing splits.

Mina turned back, looking alarmed as she reached towards Sana although her arms were not long enough to make contact.
Without thinking, I grabbed hold of Sana and pulled her back up.

An elbow suddenly socked my chin.

“OW! What was that for?”

I turned to the girl I just saved whose face was colored beyond recognition.

“Sunbae, your hands…” Mina muttered, slowly pointing to where mine were placed…

…on Sana’s

..

Next thing I knew I was thrown off the float by a ferocious double cross punch.
(And finally discover how Team Rocket felt)


“This reminds me of tvN’s Signal…and also a bit of jTBC’s Seonam Girls High School Investigators,” Nayeon noted as she and Jungyeon made their way to the heavy petting location to continue their manhunt, all detective like.

“How many dramas do you even watch?”

Nayeon pondered for a bit before simply answering, “Many.”

“No wonder you didn’t get into college,” Jungyeon made a jab at her sunbae, who promptly stared passively aggressive daggers at her, smiling and all.

“I just didn’t expect the goddess Im Nayeon to be such an otaku drama geek.”

“Nor did I expect Yoo Jungyeon to have this side to her too…”

“What side?”

Nayeon suddenly appeared distracted by the question and pointed afar.

“LOOK!”

Tzuyu sat on a bench, petting a puppy while speaking to a sweet looking middle aged woman.

“CHO TZUYU!!!!”

The girl turned to the sound of her name and was met by two girls frantically running towards her.
Before she could respond, many arms had gruffly pulled her into a hug.

“Where were you? Did I not tell you to wait outside the bathroom?”

“You know you made Nayeon cry!?”

“OH SHUT UP, I TOTALLY DIDN’T!”

“OH YES YOU DID!”

Tzuyu looked at the bickering between her parents in shock. They always bickered but this felt almost…friendly?

“OMG, Tzuyu your knees!”

Nayeon gasped as she reached out to the small cuts on the younger girl’s knees.

“Are you ok?” Jungyeon joined in, kneeling down to examine the wounds.

“I’m fine. I just got them while chasing Minjoong.”

“Minjoong?”

1 Hour Ago

“Nayeon sunbae is taking a long time,” Tzuyu pouted as she stood outside the bathroom. 

All of a sudden, loud barking could be heard throughout the plaza.
A middle aged lady was running and panting while already holding 2 other dogs on leashes, shouting the words, “Minjoong-ah! Come back!”

Seeing the cute puppy on the loose, Tzuyu grinned sheepishly and started making her way towards it.

“Come here little puppy….”

The adorable fluff ball looked innocently at the girl, before making a swift getaway between her long legs and into the next block.

“MINJOONG AH!”

And before she knew it, Tzuyu joined the chase.

Present

“So, that was it?”

Jungyeon and Nayeon looked at the super model blankly.

“Yes, that was it. And I might be adopting Minjoong.”

“Wait, what?”

“The lady said these are the puppies of a relatives’ dog but there are just too many and with her kids studying in Seoul it’s hard to manage them on her own. They are looking for new owners to take one or two in and Minjoong and I get along now so…

Jungyeon and Nayeon turned to each other as Tzuyu blabbered on.
They never saw her speak that much before.
Nayeon heaved a sigh of relief and Jungyeon nodded. At least they found her now.


BONUS SCENE

“Thank you for helping me get Minjoong back,” the middle age lady said gratefully, as Tzuyu brought the puppy over in her arms, “Are you a student here for summer camp?”

“Eh…yes, is it obvious?” Tzuyu wondered out loud as the lady gave her a once over.

“The outfit and backpack, plus you don’t look too much older than my son, Seungkwan,” the lady continued before quickly adding, “You should also probably head back to your student group soon.”

Tzuyu noticed her phone ringing with “Nayeon sunbae” showing on the screen before the reception killed the call.
She had called 3 times by now.

Suddenly, a faint smirk appeared on the pretty girl’s face, “Actually, I can chat with you and play with Minjoong for a while. People in my group could use a little bonding time.”

*This Chapter is longer than usual as there may be no Chapter next week. The Author is traveling. Sorry for any incovenience caused*