Chapter 27 – This Won’t Be Easy

THINK TWICE!

Chaeyoung fumed in class as she started scribbling away in her notebook.
Dahyun sighed as she saw Chaeyoung drawing up new plans to sabotage Sungjoon and Sana again.

“Maybe you should give it a rest…exams are coming up soon…”

“NO! My future marriage is more important than exams…” grumbled Chaeyoung as quietly as she could.

Dahyun wondered how maybe dating Sungjoon could already lead to married life in Chaeyoung’s mind.
And she did not even have a date yet.

Suddenly, Chaeyoung gasped, shocking her classmates and Jo Kwon seonseng.

“I never knew you were that entranced by the history of early Goryeo, Chaeyoung-shi,” Jo seonseng noted.
The flustered little girl quickly looked down in embarrassment.


Dahyun thought how Jo seonseng was actually wrong. Chaeyoung got so into early Goryeo since Scarlet Heart: Ryeo came out.
And now she was into late Goryeo history because of Goblin.

“Anyways, what was that about,” muttered Dahyun after class was over.

“I just remembered after flipping through my notebook…but Sungjoon sunbae still owes me a date!” Chaeyoung smiled sheepishly.

“Date?”

“Remember when I asked him to hangout after I dyed my hair red…”

“Well…that was a while back, enough for a girl group to have made a comeback,” Dahyun responded to the girl whose hair has gone back to black and grown much longer already, “Plus it’s not a date, just a hangout!

“Well, it can start as one,” Chaeyoung grinned, “And given how much Sungjoon sunbae follows through with promises, I now have a legitimate reason to remove him from the clutches of Sana!”


Mina looked at the new messages on her phone.
She had to go to check up again later today.

“What was that?”
She turned to see Momo munching on chips at the corner of the hallway. The girl continued, “You seemed awfully serious just now.”

“Just because we are dancing together for a show now doesn’t mean we are that close,” Mina responded, walking away and locking her phone, “It’s none of your business.”

“So is it Sungjoon’s business?” Momo continued, making Mina stop for a second, “Since he is close enough to convince you to dance again…

“Maybe…” Mina struggled to find words, “It’s a secret.”


“Guys, sudden assembly – NOW NOW!”

Jimin raced to announce to the gang in the canteen, banana milk in hand.

“So since you are now dating, you have given up on dieting have you?” Bambam teased as Jimin kicked him in the shins.
She waited for some additional comment from Jackson but the boy continued to silently check Facebook on his phone as he finished his lunch.

“What are you looking at? Didn’t you say there’s an assembly?” Jungyeon pointed out, “Let’s go!”


“Where’s Nayeon?” Tzuyu asked, looking around as she elegantly ate a hash brown.
Jungyeon noticed the girl in question speaking with Youngjae near the salad bar.

“I didn’t know they were close…” she noted, as the other girls pushed her to join the crowd of students heading to the assembly hall.

Meanwhile, Sana looked around, trying to find Sungjoon.
“Where the hell is that idiot?!”


 

I came out of the bathroom to hear the loudspeakers announcing an emergency assembly.
As I filed into the assembly hall, I quickly picked out Jimin and co. and walked over to them.

“Any idea what is going on?”
The gang all shrugged as we moved to take our seats.

“Hey, should you not be sitting with Sana?”

I only realized upon Jimin’s comment that I should probably do so but after noting the seats filling around us with no sign of my girlfriend in sight, it seemed a bit too late. Oh, well…I’m sure she would understand…

“…ah..ah..mic check one, two…”

We turned to face the stage with our principal standing in the center checking the microphone.
Park Jinyoung
, long time educator and father of our year’s Jinyoung Junior, looked around before he began to speak.

Sorry to be whisking you all out of lunch break. We will give you guys an additional 10 minutes of break after this announcement.
After noticing the students becoming calmer after hearing the additional break time, he smiled his signature wide grin before continuing to speak.

“As you know, Jinyoung High School prides itself for its all-around education and good relationship with other schools in the district. Which is why we had been slowly encouraging more joint school events and the PRODUCE 101 summer workshop….”

As he went on, I started feeling drowsy.
What was he trying to say?

“…Hence, in line with our initiatives so far this year, our school will, for the first time ever, combine our talent show with Soo Man High School and Yang Gun High School!”

Collective gasps could be heard throughout the assembly hall.

“I know this is sudden but we have actually been in talks for a while…we did not want to say it sooner in case it fell through and you guys get sad….

“With…SM High and YG High?!” Jimin noted with her eyes wide, turning to Sungjoon and co. “The competition would be insane.”

“And doesn’t Soo Man High School allow for collaborations with other schools in their talent shows?” Yerin added, “Some program called [STATION] or something…?”

As the girls chirped away, I could not help but look at Jihyo’s direction a row behind me.


She sat there in shock as Momo seemed lost as to how this could affect their performance success.

I noticed Jungyeon giving me a look and followed her gestures to notice Sana peering at my direction.

Okay…awkward eye contact traffic right there.

What I did not notice was Jungyeon also studying the face of Nayeon, who looked surprisingly shaken by the news.
“This won’t be easy…”