Chapter 31 – Same Same

THINK TWICE!

“AHHHHHHH!”
Jihyo and I munched popcorn as Chaeyoung and Doyoung both covered their eyes and screamed.

“Do you think this person is a good guy or a bad guy?” Jihyo asked, deep in thought.
“I don’t know, but I agree I just cannot trust him,” I continued, analyzing the character in question.

Meanwhile the two beside us continued to watch the movie behind the gaps between their fingers, quivering in fear during the action scenes.
“It’s not that scary,” Jihyo noted, turning to Doyoung who quickly dropped his hands as if he was watching normally all along.

“Yeah, it’s not…um yeah, just the lighting was strong and my eyes hurt…,” he quickly explained, throwing me an uncomfortable glance as I stuffed myself with popcorn and enjoyed the movie.

Chaeng, I thought you liked Yoo Ah In?”

Chaeyoung muttered something along the lines of “Yeah, but when he is hitting on girls and not hitting strangers with sticks.”
“I mean it’s just a detective flick thing…haven’t you watched Signal?’
I added, sipping on my coke.
“I skipped all the action scenes…”Chaeng replied through her hands, “And I mainly watched to listen to Le Je Hoon’s voice…”
“Why did you agree to watch this then?”
I asked, “You are a good hoobae but there is no need to watch it just because I want to…”

Chaeyoung just sat there silently.

“I mean it’s normal to not like the same things as someone…”

Suddenly, the camera panned to the person Jihyo and I suspected all along.

“Dae…bak,” the two of us said at the same time as Doyoung and Chaeyoung turned to look at our same reaction.


The room was awkwardly silent as Lisa looked at the two boys sitting in front of her.
Mr. Yang made no note of this and went back to polishing his action figures collection gracing the whole living room.

“So, you were the angry girl I bumped last week….” Bambam noted, looking at his childhood friend with a piercing gaze.

“Um…yeah…” Lisa began, wondering how to explain herself before Bambam added with “Did you recognize me back then already?”

“NO! No! Of course, not…” Lisa responded, remembering how bad-tempered she was that day, “I would not have…you know…if I knew it was you.”

“Well, says a lot about you since you act like this to strangers…” Bambam continued, paying little disregard as per usual to the savagery he was throwing at the person he was talking to.

“Ahem,” Ten interrupted with a dramatic cough, “It’s nice and all to see you two old friends bickering and stuff but Lisa and I got somewhere to go.”

“A date? Mr. Boyfriend?”

“NO!” Lisa yelled, making the action figures in the background shake and earning a judging look from Mr. Yang.

“We have a show to practice for,” Ten explained, “The joint-school talent show to be held at Jin…”

“…Young High School?” Bambam said, trying his best to sound cool and hide his surprise.

“Yeah…” Ten answered, as if taking Bambam a bit more seriously, “Are you taking part in this?”

“In more ways than you would expect…” Bambam replied. He was actually in charge of the show’s sound systems and lighting. But he might as well be mysterious as hell about this to see what Ten was up to with Lisa.

“Well, Lisa and I would have a rap and dance collaboration stage so you better watch out.”

“Eh!? Lisa, you still dance?”

“Of course, I mean most of us from We Zaa Cool still dance, like your brother Bank,” the girl said, standing up with a backpack in toll, “What about you?”

“Totally, but I also do a lot of stage management stuff too now,” Bambam boasted, actually having done zero dancing in Korea besides girl group covers for the lols and a dab here or there.

“Well, see you at the show, the guy who can do it all,” Ten commented almost sarcastically with a little savage head tilt.

As Bambam headed home, he thought of how Lisa did not seem to have changed much.
But was he the same person since he left Thailand?
He really didn’t know.


Somehow after the movie, I found myself, Chaeng, Jihyo and Doyoung in the same sushi restaurant together.

“What drinks do you have?” Doyoung asked.

“Green tea, soda, juice, water and sparkling water.”

“I will have sparkling water,” I noted, closing the menu after ordering my lunch set.

“Hey, didn’t know you liked sparkling water too!” Jihyo noted, ordering the same thing.

Chaeyoung seemed to shake her head in an attempt to focus or something before asking for an orange juice and Doyoung asked for one too.

When the food arrived, I dug in and began to notice Chaeyoung and Doyoung picking at their food.

“Why are you guys not eating the ginger?” I asked, munching away at it before diving into the maki rolls.

“I don’t like ginger…” Chaeyoung said, brushing it aside while Doyoung nodded in agreement.

“But ginger is great!” Jihyo continued, “And it warms your stomach before you eat the cold sushi.”

“Someone understands,” I raised my chopsticks in agreement.

Suddenly, Doyoung slammed his chopsticks on the table, somewhat frightening the sushi chef.
When he noticed our awkward look at him, he stood up and mumbled, “I need the bathroom…”


Jungyeon went back to the café, confused.
Nayeon and Youngjae…those two were definitely not on a date.
They were talking about school things. Boring school things like university applications and stuff.

But something did stand out to Jungyeon.
When Youngjae said, “I mean your sister was student president, don’t you want to achieve something too?”

“What was this conversation?” Jungyeon mused, scratching her head until her short hair went all messy, “Who is her sister?”

Jungyeon recalled going through Nayeon’s Facebook and seeing no relatives listed or photos of relatives of Nayeon.
Nayeon’s photos were always her and her friends from high school, who were all in university at this point.
Now that she thought of it, there were no photos from Nayeon’s hangouts with her and Tzuyu either.

“A perfect mystery for the Jungjoon Adventure Duo!” Jungyeon recalled the voice of Sungjoon saying that when they were kids finding adventures in the neighborhood.

What was he doing right now?
Was he back with Sana?
What were those two even right now?

“Sungjoon was too innocent and inexperienced to be dating a cheerleader anyways,” Jungyeon thought to herself, “I should have stopped this from happening…”

“Ya, what are you lazing around thinking about?”

Jungyeon turned around to see her sister walking into the café with a drink in hand.

“Hey, Seungyeonie! You cannot waltz in here with a drink from our competitors!” Jungyeon pointed to Seungyeon’s red velvet smoothie labeled with the SMTown Café logo.

“Well, I’m sorry that Seulgi and Irene wanted to meet me there, they live closer to those chains anyways…”

Many people said she and her sister were different.
Seungyeon was more of a conventional Korean beauty with beautiful flowing long hair and eyes that seemed to sparkle, dressed in a casual yet classy manner with blouses and skirts. Meanwhile Jungyeon prefers short and chic hair while rocking skater-trash fashion. However, they were a lot more similar than others would think. For one, they both react to things similarly. Second, they could read each other’s mind.

“You thinking about someone,” Seungyeon said with a knowing smirk, pulling a chair next to Jungyeon, “Tell your unnie all about it.”


BONUS SCENE

“AHHHHHH!”
“AHHHHHH!”

Doyoung screamed in the toilet bowl before leaning against the walls of the cubicle.
Whenever he was frustrated, he would bottle it up and wait till it reached a point – the highest point he could tolerate.
Then he would shout somewhere private and let it all out.
Maybe it was because he grew up with brothers who without a doubt argue with each other.
Or the fact his family raised him and his hyung to be gentlemanly in public. Hence, Rage-young was only unleashed in private.

Seriously though, who would be this similar?
Okay, he was a bit jealous of the sunbae-hoobae relationship between Sungjoon and Jihyo and maybe really jealous of the way Jihyo seemed to look at Sungjoon…BUT DO THEY EVEN HAVE TO LIKE THE SAME THINGS?!
Why must it be such an uphill battle?!

“AHHHHH!”
“AHHHHH!”

Doyoung suddenly heard sounds like his coming from nearby. He walked out and noticed it was from the bathroom next door.
The women’s bathroom.

Okay, there was no way he could get in, but he could not help but lean against the door to make out who it was inside.

Suddenly, the door opened, slamming him to the ground. He looked up from his fall to see a familiar face.

“Sorry, was I loud?” Chaeyoung asked.