Chapter 41 – True Friendship

THINK TWICE!

“If it were not for what she gave you during the bake sale, you would be a college student already,” Nayeon’s friend commented.

Jungyeon could not believe what she was hearing.
How was Park Jihyo responsible for Nayeon’s failure to get into a good university last year???

Before she could think about it more, Nayeon had excused herself to the bathroom of the café. The conversation seemed to move once Nayeon was gone and the girls mutter amongst themselves.

Jungyeon finished making the drinks and carried them over to the table occupied by Nayeon’s friends.

“…that idiot still doesn’t know, right?” the girl in red said, surprised.

“That it was not Jihyo but us?” the girl in green whispered, “Why would she think it’s us? We are all that she had in Jinyoung High School to call ‘friends’ back then!

The girl in yellow giggled, “Well, that’s the problem when you play the ‘ice princess’ persona – nobody wants to stay close to you.”

“And nobody really wants to be friends with you,” the girl in red smirked.

“…Well, how the mighty has fallen, not getting into the best universities in the first try….

Suddenly the girls screamed.

Ice coffee and whipped cream were splattered all over their faces as the waitress has flipped the tray.

“WHAT?! WHO ARE YOU? WHY...?!”

Jungyeon stared down at the three girls covered in drinks.

“I am a friend of Im Nayeon who will not stand for what you guys did to her!”

Jackson could not believe what he was hearing.

Jimin looked at him curiously.

“I am going to boarding school next year. I know it’s sudden but doesn’t a lot of people do it these days?

Jackson continued to stare at her blankly, “…when…did you start having these ideas? Like, the idea to study abroad?”

“A while back, when we were at the camp at Jeju Island,” she noted, “The girls there all have dreams and aspirations and are working towards them already. I always wanted to experience different cultures and countries – so I thought, why not study overseas for a few years to do what I love and learn more about my other potential interests?”

Tzuyu and Bambam who were also seated at the same canteen table nodded in agreement.
“I’ve learned a lot during this school year in South Korea,” Tzuyu chimed in, “And I look forward to the next two years to come.

“As someone who had two great years abroad already,” Bambam added, “I, for once, support you Jimin!”

Jimin stifled her irritation at Bambam’s phrasing, “Thanks, Bambam, for once.”

“Anyways,” Jimin continued, “I will be flying out after you third years’ graduations. Do come to the send-off at the airport so I can see all your derpy faces before I go!

Momo and Mina were chatting when they bumped into Sana in the hallway.

Mina nodded at Sana and whispered in Momo’s ear, “I need to have a word with her, see you later.”

Momo did not know what was going on but liked how Mina just muttered in her ear, so she more than happily pranced away.

Mina turned to Sana, “It has been a while since we talked.”

“Yes, it has,” Sana noted, “Why did you message me just now…saying you had something to say.”

“You know what happened during Jeju Island,” Mina began quietly, That night between you and Sungjoon sunbae

Sana’s face colored somewhat at the memory, “Uhuh…”

“That was me,” Mina continued, “I am sorry.”

“Can…can I ask you why you did it?

“…well, I thought you guys had some feelings for each other…and thought I would speed things up,” Mina answered, “I thought I made the right decision at that time, especially since it appeared some other people shipped you too.

“What other people?” Sana questioned, furrowing her brows.

Im Nayeon sunbae. She texted me after hearing about it somehow and told me to keep up the good work.

“!!!”

Mina recalled Nayeon sunbae sending her multiple messages from that point onwards.
They would gossip about the potential couples of Jinyoung High School. But she seemed exceptionally invested in the Sana-Sungjoon ship.

It got to the point Mina was interested in finding out why and also slightly annoyed when Nayeon would message her for details.

She knew from the sound who the message was from.
That girl thought they grew closer now. But she could learn to wait a little.

“I have not been in the school long enough to know exactly why Nayeon sunbae seemed interest in you and Sungjoon,” Mina shrugged, “But I thought, no matter what you decide to do with your relationship with Sungjoon sunbae, you should know. You probably will have a better idea than me.”

“Thanks,” Sana replied, trying to wrap her head around Nayeon’s involvement.

“No need to thank me,” Mina said as she headed out, “We don’t talk much but I see you as a friend. And that’s what friends do.”

“Can I please speak with Lisa?”

Bambam stood outside the gates of the huge house of Mr. Yang, Lisa’s host parent.
A mixture of voices and static sounds could be heard from the intercom.

“What do you want?” the man with the strange Korean accent said.

“I…want to talk to her…as I just said?” Bambam answered, “She has not been responding to my messages or calls…”

“Maybe she is mad at you,” Mr. Yang began, “You know how young love is…”

Bambam blushed at this comment but his reaction was cut short from a curt but recognizable comment from the background, “I TOLD YOU WE ARE NOT DATING, MR. YANG – how many times must I…”

“LISA!” Bambam shouted through the intercom, “I know you are there! Come out and talk to me…”

Static noises returned to dominate the intercom.
Bambam took a deep breath and shouted, “I remember my promise to you! I said I would MARRY YOU!