Chapter 14 – Mentorship Camp Begins

THINK TWICE!

“Welcome to the 10th Jinyoung High School Mentorship Summer Camp at Jeju Island!”

I stood awkwardly beside Mina as Jo Kwon seonseng spoke on a makeshift stage.

“Today, besides a 3 day 2 night camp of bonding, is also a celebration of 10 years of excellence in our school’s international student program. And we are delighted to have the support of student president candidate Park Jihyo in helping us run the schedules!”

I grinned at Jihyo taking the stage with loudspeaker in hand. She was really doing more to make herself stand out from the other candidates.

“Hi guys! I’m Jihyo. I will be a student administrator for this camp! I will also be joined by two volunteers, both alumni of this great program!”

Sana and Momo made their way up to the stage to my surprise. I did not know they were coming. 

And they were both looking strangely at my direction, making me feel awkward as hell.

Momo had already been somewhat hostile to me for the past few weeks and I didn’t know why. At least I would never be as awkward as the Nayeon-Jungyeon-Tzuyu trio beside me or the Jackson-Bambam duo behind me.

“Want to grab a local Jeju ramyun lunch?” Jungyeon nudged her mentee.

“I heard about this great parfait place round the corner though..” Nayeon gave the tall 1st year a poke.
By now Tzuyu was used to this and merely nodded and played with her fingers.

“This is a great view, I will tell you that,” Bambam sniggered at Jackson as he eyed the girls beside me.

Jackson gave a smug smile and got a side eye from Jimin who stood with a first year we have yet to meet called Natty or something.

“…so today, we will start off by visiting the city center, followed by a barbeque dinner at the beach. We will then head to our accommodations, kindly provided by the local boarding school!”

A very comprehensive schedule, as expected of Jihyo.

Jo seonseng took back the loudspeaker,

“Now, let the camp begin!”


“So....What do you want to do?”

I asked the quiet Mina as I looked at the maps handed to us. Everyone seemed to have headed somewhere by now but we were still standing near where we started since Mina had not shown interest in going anywhere.

“There’s a historical site to the north and also some food stalls. Meanwhile to the east…”

I noticed Momo walking towards us from the corner of my eye but was pulled away before I could react.

Mina was holding my hand.

“Sunbae, let’s go this way.”


“Actually, Ok seonseng isn’t that bad looking,” Jimin pointed out as she passed Natty a smoothie, while eyeing their awkward English teacher who was putting lots of sunscreen on while sitting on the other side of the plaza.

“But he is like a fashion terrorist!” Bambam commented, while still in line with Jackson for their drinks.

IF he dressed better,” Jimin added, “Seriously, you don’t need to finish my sentences.”

“Such a fan girl. It’s just a reflection of how desperate you are. I wonder if Junior knows.”

Jimin mimed throwing her smoothie at Jackson but he didn’t react.
Instead, he stood rooted to the ground.

She threw a few more punches in vain before following his gaze.

“And who are you looking at?”

Jimin turned to see sports teacher Yubin seonseng passing a bottle of water to Ok seonseng while wearing a tight fitting t-shirt, her sun kissed legs exhibited through her jean shorts.

Ok seonseng’s face colored at the gesture.

“You …”

Suddenly, Jimin noticed Bambam shaking his head and pointing to something further behind the scene of the teachers.

A group of girls in high school uniform was resting in the shade behind their teachers.
One of them looked strangely familiar.
In an instant, it all clicked for Jimin.

“What’s going on?” Natty chirped in at the awkward silence caused by Jackson and Jimin.

“Jackson’s แฟนเก่า (ex-girlfriend), Heo Youngji!” Bambam mouthed in their common language of Thai.


Jungyeon grunted as she lined up to get the snacks for Tzuyu and Nayeon.
Why was she even here?

She did not want to be mentoring whatsoever let alone with Im Nayeon.
That fake- sunbae who tried to be ice princess/popular and all that. Anything could be better than this, she swore.

Finally, she was at the front of the line and could at least get some nice food out of this horrible situation.
Suddenly, a voice had to cut her short.

“YAAAA!”

Jungyeon turned to see the girl she despised sprinting over and gasping for air.

“WHAT NOW? Can't you see I’m getting us food?!” she howled.

Nayeon grabbed her shoulders and turned her away from the cashier.

“Tzuyu…”

“What about super model?”

“She’s…GONE.”