Surprise!

It Was All Worth It

"Do you and Ji Eun celebrate special days or something?" asked MYK.

"Well, back then we didn't," answered Shaun.

"When he was in the army, we didn't celebrate anything. Well, we weren't officially together so we didn't have an anniversary or anything," said EunJ.

"We wanted to celebrate our birthdays together but we were always unable to," said Shaun.

"What was the best surprise you got from EunJ?" asked King MCK.

Shaun thought hard before answering. "Ji Eun really doesn't have a talent in choosing and giving gifts. But there was one gift she gave me that I could never forget," he said.

"Shaun and EunJ's birthdays are just days away from each other. Shaun's birthday is January 12th. Ji Eun's is on the 16th," said Hyunsong.

"Come to think of it, they're from the same Zodiac month. No wonder they think alike sometimes," said Sooryun.

"You're also on the same Zodiac as them," Sunbin told Sooryun.

"Oh yeah. Right," the younger said.

"This day was so special because it was the first time they would ever celebrate their birthdays together," said Oh Kyung.

"And we helped out," smiled Hashmate.

~

"You still don't want to celebrate or something?" Type C asked Shaun.

"Nah. It's been two days anyway," said Shaun taking another gulp from the coffee cup in his hands.

"It's never too late to celebrate life, dongsaenggie," said Sunghyun putting an arm around his shoulders.

"Okay. But what are we supposed to do? Where are we supposed to go? What are we going to do?" asked Shaun.

"Aish. You have too many questions," said Type C hitting the back of his head.

It's been a while since Shaun has spent time with his friends from Rockbottom. Shaun learned through them that they already added Ji Eun into their crew, the only female member. Type C invited Shaun to join but hiphop wasn't really his thing so he declined. The crew had a showcase last year at Brownsoul Seoul, introducing the crew to the public and it was the first time Supreme Boi performed his single "Hawaii". Shaun watched their show with Sooryun and Hyunsong who were off duty that day. It felt nice to be friends with other talented people. It was just sad to not have Ji Eun with all of them since she was in America. She was still there at this very moment.

"Isn't Ji Eun's birthday on the 16th?" asked Seungjae. "We should throw her a party as well," he added.

"Do you think she'll like that?" asked Sunghyun sitting back relaxingly.

"She would," smiled Seungjae.

"Have you ever thrown a party for her while I was gone?" asked Shaun stopping in his tracks.

The three stopped and looked at him. Seungjae looked up thinking. "Last year, Jay Park-ssi hosted her party at Dudart because she was at AOMG recording with them. Some of her friends were invited," he answered. "Including me."

"You're one of the popular guys anyway," said Sunghyun.

"Haven't you ever celebrated your birthday together or something?" Type C asked Shaun.

"No. Never. For the past years, we've always called and greeted each other. But not the way I really wanted to celebrate with her," he answered.

"Too bad. You'll get to celebrate together soon. Cheer up," said Type C patting his dongsaeng's back.

"Why don't we go to Cakeshop today?" asked Seungjae.

"Isn't that closed today?" asked Shaun. "And it's only 3 in the afternoon."

"I think DEADEND are hanging out there today. Let's just talk to them or something," said Seungjae.

"Yeah. We don't have anything else to do. Let's go," said Type C standing up and pulling Shaun to follow him. "Relax man," he said taking the cup he was holding then throwing it to the trash. Shaun pouted as he did so because he hasn't finished it yet.

The four of them got on Sunghyun's car and drove over to Cakeshop. There weren't much people walking around, neither were there any people lined up for the club. It was usually packed whenever a show was scheduled. The lights on the signboard were off and the main entrance was closed.

"Not seeing people lined up here feels so different," said Sunghyun.

Seungjae was texting someone on his phone and soon looked up at his hyungs. "They're inside, said Sooyeon noona. They'll open the entrance for us," he said.

"Good. I think I'm already freezing," said Type C rubbing his hands together.

Shaun looked around and saw the roads covered in snow. It fell lightly in the early morning and made the day freeze. But for Shaun, it was just the right temperature. Somehow, he felt warm and the lonely vibe winter usually gives doesn't even get to him. "Maybe it's because I just turned 25," he told himself.

The entrance opened and it was King MCK and DHL on the other side. "Yo, Han Seungjae," King MCK greeted. "Good to see you guys could turn up. Hey Shaun," he called him out as he shook hands with him. "I never thought you'd visit me here at Cakeshop. Let's go inside," he said.

"Haha! I'm not just here for you, hyung," smiled Shaun as he bumped fists with DHL.

The group was talking as they stepped down the stairs to the hall below where the parties are usually held. Shaun heard other people below talking. They happened to be the other DEADEND members talking to the rappers of AOMG. And there were people from YG, too including the WINNER members and 2ne1. The other members from Rockbottom and DaeNamHyup were there, too. Shaun and his friends quickly greeted them.

"We invited you to coffee and it turns out you guys were just here?" Shaun told Kidoh, bumping shoulders with him.

"Yeah. Well, we were invited as well," answered i11evn as he greeted Shaun, looking at the other boys with a smirk on his face.

Suddenly, another group of men appeared from the backstage onto the stage. It was Block B. There was a number of Buckwilds members behind them as well, Lil Boi, Louie, Ddolbae and Fana. Just as they appeared, Uglyduck moved away from the AOMG group to join his crew. Fana made him play some songs from the turntable. But King MCK shouted at them saying he owned the deck at Cakeshop, so he left them and approached the stage. And just then, Zico saw Shaun.

"Hey, there's one of the best people I know. Shaun hyung," said Zico approaching them, greeting and bumping shoulders with them. "This is the first time I saw you here," he said, UKwon and BBomb right behind him

"Yeah. It is really my first time to come here. Too bad it isn't for a show but I'm pretty glad to see a lot of artists here," said Shaun. "What are we all doing here?"

"Nothing. Just hanging out. Having fun," said Zico.

"It's normal for the hiphop scene to go somewhere in the middle of the week and just relax or hang out with some other artists," said Iron.

"It's much more fun if some of the hoobaes were here because they know how to start a party," said Marvel J.

"I think there are other crews coming, so it is going to be a party," said i11evn.

"Yeah. Vismajor is coming. Then there's Cohort, the hyungs from Amoeba, Just Music, and who else," said Zico.

"Woah. This is going to be so much fun," said Seungjae.

"Yeah. But I honestly am feeling a bit shy," said Shaun. "I think I'm the only one who doesn't do hiphop here."

"Nah. That's fine. You're part of the scene," said Type C.

"Big thanks to Ji Eun, of course," said Marvel J.

"Ji Eun-ah... She's still in America, right?" asked PO.

"Nae. The last time we talked was on my birthday. She greeted me. She hasn't talked to me since," said Shaun.

"Eh... What did you two talk about?" asked Jaehyo hitting his shoulder mockingly.

"Nothing," laughed Shuan as he rubbed his shoulders.

"Say Shaun," said Sunghyun. "Do you and Ji Eun talk y on the phone?" he asked.

"EH?! Hyung! What kind of question is that?" said Zico shyly.

"What!? I'm just asking," smiled Sunghyun. "That's natural for couples, especially those who are greatly in love with other," he continued. Type C crossed his arms and nodded along with his statement. Iron, Kidoh, Jaehyo and BBomb did, too.

"Sunghyun-ssi is right. I do that with my girlfriend as well," smiled Ukwon.

"You two are together already, right?" i11evn asked Shaun.

"Uhm... Not officially," said Shaun shyly.

"EH?" shouted BBomb hitting Shaun's other shoulder.

"Aish. Why do you guys keep on hitting me?!" complained Shaun.

"Answer the question, hyung!" said Supreme Boi.

"Eh?! No. We don't talk 'y' over the phone. It's not like Ji Eun could actually do it. And no, we're not a real couple yet," said Shaun.

"Until now?" said Zico.

"It's hard to really be a couple if we're always away, you know," said Shaun.

"You should make her your girlfriend the day she comes back from America!" said Marvel J.

"I hope so," said Shaun.

"Don't hope man. Do it!" said i11evn.

Another half-hour passed and more rappers and producers came, too, including Epik High, Illionaire and Vismajor. Shaun was soon pulled by Tablo everywhere, meeting people. Lastly, he met the people from AOMG.

"Rock band huh? That's pretty cool. We don't have that much popular bands in this country," said Jay Park.

"What amazes me is how you're in a rock band and is also a DJ," said DJ Pumkin.

"You have to show us some of your props. Have you done spins for some hiphop artists?" asked DJ Wegun.

"Yes. Me and the band has produced for Narsha noona and Born Kim hyung already," said Shaun.

"Weren't they the ones at your concert last year?" Gray asked Tablo.

"Yes. Him and Life&Time," answered Tablo. "Oh, by the way, Shaun just celebrated his birthday two days ago."

"Really? Happy birthday, man," said Jay Park shaking his hand once again. "How old are you?"

"I just turned 25," he answered.

"Ah. A handsome dongsaeng," said Simon D.

"Thanks," said Shaun bowing in front of him.

"Ji Eun-ah is lucky to have a guy like you in her life," said Elo.

"Thank you for being her friends, too," said Shaun. 

"Hey hey. Speaking of Life&Time... Here they are," said Gray pointing at the stairs where three men were approaching, Jinsil, Sunbin and Sangwook.

Shaun saw his friends and greeted them. "Hyung, why are you here?" he asked Sunbin.

"Epik High told us to be here," he answered pointing at Tablo..

"MYK hyung is here as well," said Jinsil. "They said this was going to be one good party."

"I don't even know what everything is all about," said Shaun. "I feel so shy. Some of the YG artists are here, too."

"You should talk to them and make yourself feel at home. That is Ji Eun's label," teased Sangwook.

The music started to die down as the mic was now passed to Simon D by DoK2. Everyone paid respect to him and shut their mouths as he talked.

"Good afternoon everyone. I hope we're all having fun. It's still early but it's never too early to party. Welcome to Cakeshop's private party dedicated to us and one special person. But before that, I wanted to greet someone in this room who just celebrated his birthday two days ago. Where is that guy? Shaun? DJ Shaun?" said Simon D through the microphone.

Shaun raised his hand and walked over to the stage. Simon D grabbed his hand and shook it.

"Isn't he a tall guy? Some of you may know him, some may not. He's DJ Shaun. A DJ at Club The A and Octagon. He's also a member of the rock band, KOXX. This fact makes him much more interesting, don't you think? If anyone remembers that track Narsha had with Gary, he produced it. Cool guy, huh?" he said.

The crowd cheered, some of them shouting, and some just clapping away. 

"You know what's really special about this guy? He plans on joining the World DJ Festival here in Korea. I hope you succeed. But other than that, he's also special because he already has a girlfriend. Sorry to all them pretty single ladies out there. I'm still available though," he said enjoying the attention he got as some of the female artists in the club cheered for him.

Shaun could only smile. He was also wondering why Simon D would bring up about him being in a relationship.

"Now, I won't tell you who the lucky girl is. But just to give you a clue, she's someone close to my heart. And no. I won't be giving any other clue. So, to celebrate Shaun's birthday, why don't we give him a cake?!"

As Simon D shouted, three women appeared from the stage, each carrying a cake. They wore masks over their faces and Shaun felt awkward about the situation. The girl in the middle was tall and wore a cat mask. He tried to look at her eyes but she avoided them. The two other girls looked straight at him and he felt weird. He looked back at Simon D and laughingly said "This feels like everything was planned or something."

"Does it? Well, sorry about that. The other cake is for someone else who's also celebrating a birthday soon. But since you're the first one here, you get to choose which cake to blow," said Simon D.

"And the girls?!" shouted Bryan Chase from the crowd.

"The girls?" started Simon D. "Whichever cake Shaun blows, he also gets the girl carrying it. The other two? We can decide who gets them," he said with a ert smirk.

Shaun heard one of the girls curse " you" at Simon D. He was sure he would, too if it was him in their position. Right then, Shaun understood the predicament he was in.

"One of the girls is going to be Simon D's already so that makes one for all of us," shouted Jay Park.

"Wait. You said, I get the girl that carries the cake I choose?" said Shaun stopping Simon D from his ruckus with the crowd. "I can't do that. I can't," he said waving his hands in front of him.

"Come on Shaun. A little play won't be too bad. Don't worry about your girlfriend. Just choose. The cake is yours. If you don't like the girl, then I'll put her in another bidding," said Simon D. "So come on, choose."

"Wait!" shouted Gaeko. "Who is his girlfriend?"

"You wanna know who his girlfriend is? You wanna know?!" shouted Simon D on the mic.

JTong and Giriboy suddenly walked towards Simon D on the stage. JTong snatched the mic from his hand and said, "Shaun's girlfriend is no other than EunJ."

The crowd's reaction was divided. One part was surprised. The others already knew and cheered. Giriboy took the mic from his crew leader and said, "That bastard took my dream girl. ."

Shaun felt Simon D's arm behind him pushing him closer to the girls in front of him, taking control of the microphone once more. He didn't really liked cakes too much so he could choose any of them. But the girls were the obvious traps. They probably were familiar faces in the hiphop scene. "I don't think they could pull a hoe in here and play like they were some prize," he thought to himself. Then he thought of the chance one of them knew Ji Eun. He was dead. He finally thought of just choosing anyone and giving it back to them.

"Okay. I already chose someone," said Shaun pointing at the girl in the middle who refused to look at him since the start of this play.

Everybody started cheering at him. Simon D even stopped and had to keep the crowd silent. "See that? He chose the second girl. Why?" he asked Shaun.

"Because she hasn't been looking at me since this all started. I think she's a nice girl," answered Shaun smiling to himself.

"I see," said Simon D. "Okay. Why don't we invite the other girls off of the stage and away with you," he said.

The girl that cursed removed her mask and revealed herself as Jessi. " you, Simon Dominic! And no! I am not letting any of you touch my ," she shouted at the crowd. She looked back at Shaun with a smile though. "Happy birthday Shaun-ssi! Have fun," she said flying him a kiss.

The other girl was Nam Soorin, the model and designer. Shaun recognized her because she was Sooryun's friend. "I already greeted you. Happy Birthday, Shaun-ssi. Have fun tonight. You'll love it," she said as she gave him a hug as well before Jessi pulled her away from the stage, placing the cakes on the deck.

"So who are you?" Shaun asked the girl left with him on stage.

The girl put the cake on the deck as well and stretched her arm out to Simon D. "Right. I forgot," he said sliding his hand in his jacket's pocket. "The reason she wasn't looking at you is because she really couldn't see you. Here you go," smiled Simon D handing the girl a pair of glasses.

She removed the mask and quickly put the glasses on before looking back at Simon D. "Finally gonna be able to see something. I was about to get a headache," she said. She looked up at Shaun and flashed a smile. "Happy Birthday Shaun!"

"Ji Eun-ah?" said Shaun with his jaw dropping lower at every second passing.

She nodded vigorously and said, "The one and only. And I'm glad you chose the right girl. I am officially back!"

Shaun quickly took her arm then pulled her to him, hugging her tight. "It is you," he said. "When did you come back?! Why didn't you tell me?" he said as he took her face in his hands.

"If I told you, all of this wouldn't have been a surprise," answered Ji Eun as Shaun let her go. "I planned this. Everything. From the people to the place. Two days after your birthday, two days before mine. Happy birthday to us, Kim Yoonho!" said Ji Eun jumping up and hugging his neck tight. "I am so glad to be back. I missed you," she said in his ear.

Shaun felt extremely happy in seeing Ji Eun right in front of him after 4 months of being apart. He finally heard her voice right next to his ears again. He was also relieved that he chose the right girl. In whatever situation, it would always be her and no one else. Somehow, because of this party, Shaun felt as if he was finally part of the world Ji Eun was moving in, the hiphop scene. He finally met the people she's been working with while he was away. 

"Ask her to be your girlfriend already!" someone shouted from the crowd. It was Vasco. All the others joined him in, too.

"Oh. Right," said Shaun nervously. "But... I'm not ready yet!" he shouted back at everyone.

 

= _ = _ = _ = _ = _ = _ =

Hi guys! 
Huwaaaah!!! I don't know if I made this chapter any better. But I just wanted to say. That I posted this just after the KOXX's final Magazine show featuring SHAUN.!!!!!! I was looking at all the pictures and videos and I was totally jealous.! You all know my favorite member is Shaun and I feel so sad to not be able to listen and watch him at his own produced show. I hope I could experience it one day as well. But until then, I will continue to support them from afar!