Signs

It Was All Worth It

EunJ went out after Epik High all came back into the waiting room. "Good luck, Ji Eun-ah," sang Tablo with a bright smile on his face.

"Why is everyone so happy when they come back from there? Are the questions cool?" she asked as she brushed the hair away from her face.

"Oh yes, they are," said Bom clasping her hands together.

"Why don't we all watch Ji Eun as she goes through the best interview any of us has ever had?" suggested Code Kunst.

"I'm cool with that," said Seungri standing up.

"Eh?! No! Just stay here," said EunJ pushing Seungri back to the sofa. "I can handle this on my own," she finished before pumping her fists and walking out of the waiting room.

As she walked outside, she couldn't help but wonder where a certain noise came from. It was like other people were in the warehouse doing other things, talking to each other. As far as she knew, they were the only team in there. But the warehouse is big and they only are working in a small part of it. So maybe there was another team somewhere finishing some work. As she neared the white room, she saw three men on a table, speaking to each other.

"Seungjae?" she called as she recognized the tall model. She quickened her pace as she approached him. There was Zico and Simon D as well.

"Hello, Ji Eun-ah. It's your turn now," he smiled as he opened his arms to hug her.

"Were you guys also interviewed?" she asked curiously. They weren't in the PD's schedule. "Papa Ssam," she said as she gave Simon D a hug as well.

"Sort of. But... No. We weren't interviewed," said Zico.

"We're the ones to give you the questions," smiled Simon D.

"Eh?"

They made her sit down on the chair on the center of the room. She was nervous as to what the questions would be. But she was more curious as to why these people were here and doing the interviews. She was then given the first question that rocked that hour she was going to spend with them.

"When did you start going out?" asked Simon D.

"Uhm.. I don't know," smiled EunJ. "I mean, whenever he was free back then, he would give me a call. If I'm free, we would go eat. There was one time that he invited me to Namsan Tower and all we did was stare out the sky."

"That doesn't even sound romantic," said Simon D. "Can we have Epik High back in here? They are much more fun during interviews," he continued turning around to face the PD's.

"They're already done," said one of the female PD's.

"I bet they're already talking about me backstage," said EunJ covering her face in embarrassment, kicking her legs in the air.

"Don't worry, Ji Eun-ah. A lot of people are already talking about you," smiled Seungjae. He then gave Zico a high-five.

"Why do I feel like you guys aren't telling me something?" asked EunJ almost in a shout.

"Come on. This whole interview was something you didn't even have a clue on before you sat on that chair," said Zico.

"So, off to the next question," said Simon D.

"How did you fall for him?" asked Seungjae.

 

~

 

"You are crazy!" said Ji Eun throwing a pillow at Shaun.

"Me? You're the one who wanted to give Sol hyung a fan letter. Not me," said Shaun throwing the same pillow at her.

"I didn't tell you to give it to him! I hate you!" said Ji Eun running to the bed and getting another pillow.

"Hey, not that one. That's my favorite pillow," said Shaun reaching for it from Ji Eun's hand.

She got up and slipped her way behind Shaun. She put her face against the pillow then crunched her nose, throwing the pillow at his face. "It smells like drool!" she said sticking her tongue out.

Shaun picked the pillow up and smelled it as well. "No, it does not smell like drool. You little brat. Don't sit there," he said when he saw Ji Eun turn his chair in front of the computer where he works.

Ji Eun just looked at him and folded her arms in front of her chest. "I am not a brat," she said.

Shaun smiled as he shook his head. He walked over to her and grabbed one of her arms, pulling her away from the computer. "I was just joking," he said, pushing the chair back under the table. He  looked back at Ji Eun and lifted his hand to sweep the hair away from her face. "Enough games. I'm sorry for giving Sol hyung your fan letter. I had to give it to him since he saw it on the table we shared at the festival. You should be happy he didn't become awkward towards you after reading it," he said folding his arms as well, leaning on his table.

"I just thought that he'd think I'm crazy or something. I literally fangirled in that letter. It was just so embarrassing when he told me some of the lines I wrote," sighed Ji Eun pouting once more.

"He needs that motivation, you know," said Shaun smiling. "Why don't we clean up before Sunbin hyung comes back home? And you," he said reaching for her chin. He leaned closer to her face and said, "You need to go back to YG for your dance training."

Ji Eun pulled herself away and felt her cheeks blush. "Yeah. I... I'll get my bag," she said walking to the other side of the room where she placed her bag. There was a pillow beside it so she picked it up. Walking over to the bed, she saw Shaun arranging his things on it, even folding up his blanket. "I'm sorry if I messed up your bed," said Ji Eun.

"It's nothing. It's unorganized most of the time, anyway," said Shaun, his back to Ji Eun. She walked over to his side and placed the pillow in her hand near the foot of the bed. He saw her hand and he stopped. The pillow she has was one on the sofas, not on his bed. Ji Eun just stood beside him. He took the pillow with one hand, the other held her hand. "Could you sit down please?" he asked throwing the pillow to the sofa. Ji Eun did as she was told.

"I'm sorry."

"For what?" 

"Because I almost trashed the place, throwing your pillows everywhere. I'm sorry if you thought I was a brat. I'm not."

"Don't worry about it. I was just joking when I called you a brat. I know you're not."

"So why should we sit down and talk like this?"

It often surprises Shaun at how frank and straight-forward Ji Eun could be. Not a lot of girls would be so open about anything in the world. She was different and that made him more attracted to her. He gave out a long sigh before leaning backwards against his arms on the bed. Ji Eun moved to get a look on his face.

"Ji Eun-ah," he said as if he was singing. She hummed to respond. He looked back at her with a smile. "I'm going to enlist soon... in the Army," he finally said.

"W-when?" she stuttered.

Shaun breathed deeply and let out a long sigh before answering. "I don't know yet. The letter should be arriving within this week. And that's when I know what day I should go to camp," he said looking up at the ceiling.

"A-Are you ready?" she asked, unable to think of questions that would matter.

"I don't know. Maybe," he said sitting back up. "If it's the enlistment, the camp, I'm ready. I have to be. I've been trying to prepare myself. But..." he said unable to end it. Ji Eun tilted her head, waiting for him to continue. "There's one thing I haven't been able to do yet. I wish I could do it before I go," he finally said locking gazes with her.

"You can do it, oppa," she said with a faint smile.

Shaun smiled once more and leaned closer to her. "Thank you, Ji Eun-ah," he said in his usual deep voice. This was the moment he was waiting for. He wanted to already do it because time is of the essence. But things in his head kept him from acting his desires. "What if she doesn't feel the same way towards me?" he thought to himself. He looked down and reached for Ji Eun's hand, the girl just looking at him, watching his actions.

"Kim Yoonho, I'm home," they heard Sunbin call from the front door. Shaun closed his eyes and loosened the grip he had on her hand. Maybe Shaun could still do it.

"I'M ALSO HERE!"

The loud voice came from no one else but Hyunsong. Shaun had to let go of Ji Eun and stand up to meet them. Just when he thought everything ended with Hyunsong, no. The whole band was inside his home. "Nice," he thought.

"Why are all of you here?" he asked.

"What?! Don't you want your hyungs visiting you?" said Hyunsong with a wide smile.

"Or maybe you're hiding something?" said Sooryun who walked straight into the den. "Oh. Yeah. You are hiding something," he added as he walked into the room and saw Ji Eun sitting on the bed. He looked back at Shaun and gave him a playful smirk. 

"Hey, nothing happened," answered Shaun defending himself.

"I'm sure there wasn't," smiled Sooryun sarcastically as he walked away. "Well, hello, Ji Eun-ah! Sooryun oppa missed you!" they heard him say.

Saron stood beside Shaun as he removed his bag from his back. "Starting to bring her home, huh? Nice move," he said smiling then eventually walking away.

Shaun just shook his head and smiled to himself. Sunbin and Hyunsong were still at the door. "Aren't you coming in?" he asked.

"Have you told her?" asked Sunbin. When Shaun didn't answer he continued, "About your enlistment?"

"Oh. Right," he said. He leaned across the wall. "I told her it's soon but not exactly," he said.

"Well, you better hurry. She'll miss you for sure," said Hyunsong patting his shoulder then walking into the den. "My dear Ji Eun-ah! Give Hyunsong oppa a hug!" they heard him shout.

"You know he's right," said Sunbin.

Ji Eun was in Saron's arms when Shaun came back in with Sunbin. Every now and then they would invite Ji Eun to Shaun's place and just spend time all together. Shaun's house has become their alternate studio as well, especially when everyone was lazy to travel to their office. Ji Eun didn't blend in well with the rock genre but she enjoyed seeing how they work. Shaun and Sooryun would give Ji Eun lessons on how to produce music electronically or with instruments. Hyunsong and Saron normally taught her more techniques on the guitar and drums. 

"Are you going to finish songs or something?" asked Ji Eun sitting next to Sunbin on the sofa.

"Yes," said Hyunsong.

"I don't get what you guys are still working on. Is this a new album or something?" said Ji Eun.

"It's a special performance mix we're planning for the Fred Perry Subculture Viewzic Session," said Sooryun taking the guitar beside Shaun's piano table.

"Right. I remember Shaun oppa invited me to watch that session," said Ji Eun.

Everyone from the band landed their eyes on Shaun. "You... invited her?" said Sunbin.

"It's on a Saturday. She's free," said Shaun taking his chair under the computer table.

Saron whistled then stood up. "Too much flirting everywhere," he sang in a weird melody, stretching his arms.

Ji Eun shot her eyes everywhere as Shuan avoided looking at her and the other members smiling at her. "You know, maybe I should go. It is already 6pm and my dance training starts at 7," she said standing up and walking over to her bag.

"Let Shaun take you downstairs," said Hyunsong seriously on his guitar.

"Yeah. He needs to buy us some chips as well," said Sooryun winking at Shaun.

Shaun just rolled his eyes at his hyungs and approached his dresser to pull out a jacket. "What do you guys want?" he asked.

Ji Eun took her own jacket from her bag and quickly put it on. She slung her bag behind her and soon walked out when Shaun was ready. They didn't talk on the way down the building. He walked with her to the nearby bus stop. A 7-Eleven branch was not too far from it.

"So, am I still invited to that Fred Perry session?" she asked looking down on her sneakers.

"Of course," he said so blankly.

There was a bus approaching but the stop light was already red so they needed to wait again. Ji Eun looked up at Shaun. She thought of what he told him earlier, about him and his enlistment. She hoped that it wasn't too soon. She wanted to spend more time with him. Shaun finally looked at her. "Hmm?" he hummed. 

"Oppa, I'm going to debut soon, remember?" she said.

"Yes. Why did you ask?" he asked.

"Nothing. I'm going to wait for your enlistment. So please wait for my debut," she said happily.

"Okay, I will," he smiled.

The bus approached the bus stop. Before it could fully stop in front of them, Ji Eun quickly grabbed Shaun's arm and pulled him down. She kissed his cheek quickly before letting him go. "Thank you for being with me today. See you!" she said waving her hands at him then stepping on the bus.