2012

It Was All Worth It

"Wait. What did you just say?" said Ji Eun.

Tablo and Mithra hung their mouths open as they looked at each other thinking of an answer."You said Shaun is leaving. You said it's today that he leaves. Is it because of his enlistment? Is that it? Is it today?" she kept on talking.

Tukutz stood up and reached for her hand. "Baby girl, listen to me," he tried to say. Ji Eun tried to pull her arm away but Tukutz was strong. He reached for her other arm and pulled her close. She breathed deep and searched for Tukutz eyes. "Listen. Yes. Today is Shaun's enlistment. He's going to travel to the camp in an hour," he said in the most calming voice he could use.

Ji Eun's lips and eyes started to shake. She took Tukutz' hands off of her arms and tried to look at Tablo and Mithra but the two avoided meeting eyes with her. Tablo covered his mouth and kept himself from crying. Tukutz only stared at Ji Eun with care and worry. She was looking down on the floor as she tried her best not to cry.

A moment more and she raised her head, looking at no one in particular. "Then what are we still doing here?" she asked. "We have to go see him. I need to see him. At least for one last time. Please."

It took them a good 15 minutes to get to Shaun's building inside Tablo's car. Ji Eun looked through the car window and saw the members of the KOXX and the Solutions hugging Shaun. She saw him smile as he hugged Hyunsong, the older patting his head. Tablo looked through the front view mirror and saw how she had longing in her eyes. He huffed and got off the car. The two other men followed him suit.

Sunbin saw Mithra get off the car. "Mithra hyung," he said. All the other men looked at his direction and greeted the three men.

Shaun especially walked over to them and bowed. "Hyung. I thought you wouldn't be able to see me go?" he asked shaking Tukutz' hands. The older was unable to answer.

Tablo avoided looking at Shaun. He was becoming emotional that he can feel a tear slowly trying to escape the cave of his eye. Tukutz answered instead saying, "We weren't planning to go. But..."

Tablo stopped Tukutz from talking by grabbing the back door of the car and slowly opening it. It revealed an innocent-looking Ji Eun sitting, looking up at all of them. Her eyes finally landed onto Shaun's and she sighed. "We did it for her," said Tablo.

Ji Eun now stood right next to Tablo's car. While all the others were talking, Shaun and Ji Eun were having a staring game at the concrete below their feet. Ji Eun couldn't speak. She couldn't even look at him. The sight of him, knowing that it would be the last for now, already breaks her heart. Shaun doesn't even know what to say.
 
"So... When are you coming back?" asked Ji Eun, still not looking at him.

"Huh?!" said Shaun finally looking at the girl who makes his heart beat twice as fast as normal.

"When are you coming back after your enlistment?" she repeated, now looking up and straight at him.

"Oh. Right. I guess I'll be back in July 2014. That's 21 months," he answered looking up the dim sky at 8 in the morning.

"You're allowed to take leaves, right? Breaks?" she asked. He nodded his assurance. "I hope I see you when that day comes," she tried to faintly smile. She avoided his stare once more as he looked back at her.

"Ji Eun-ah," said Shaun taking a step closer to her. He took one of her arms with his right hand. His left swept the hair away from her neck and gently held onto it making her look up at him, his thumb under her chin. She let out a faint gasp as her eyes widened in mystery. "Why do you keep looking at the ground? Weren't you here to see me? Then look at me," he said in his deep voice.

They were looking at each other with immense worry. Ji Eun let out little gasps as she tried not to cry, sometimes biting her lips to stop herself.

"Ji Eun-ah. If you want to cry, please... Do," said Shaun in his most caring voice.

The sound of his voice was enough to make the water rise into Ji Eun's eyes. She bowed her head and cried. She felt Shaun's hand pat the top of her head. He, too, wanted to cry. Ji Eun pulled her hand away from his and both of her arms tangled themselves around his torso, giving him the tightest hug she could ever give.

"I don't want you to go. I want you to stay here," she said in between tears.

Shaun was unable to answer. He returned her hug. He made sure he hugged her tight, the kind she would not forget. He rested his chin on her head and the tears started to fall one by one. "Why does parting always feel this sad? Why should it be now?" he thought to himself. He knew that he had to go any time soon, and that his manager would make him get on the van and off to camp. He had no time left.

He tried to push Ji Eun away from him. She was still in tears and it crushed his heart to see her so devastated. He never wanted this to happen. Not today. He cupped her face in his hands and made her look up at him.

"Ji Eun-ah, please stop crying. I don't want the last image of you in my head as someone crying. I want you to smile for me. You are the most beautiful person when you do," he said trying to hide his torn voice with care and love.

"How am I supposed to smile if you're going to leave me?" she asked.

Shaun breathed deeply. This is it, he thought. He held tighter onto Ji Eun's neck as he leaned closer to her. The awkwardness Ji Eun normally feels whenever he does this was nowhere to be found. All she knew was that if she only could, she would never let him go.

"It's just two years, Ji Eun-ah. Before you know it, I'll be back for good. You're right about the leaves I can take from service. I can visit you," he said clearly. He wanted her to listen and understand every word coming out of his mouth. He wanted it to come out clear. "You can always talk to me on SNS. I'll answer if I'm available. I won't leave you. I'm just going away for some time. I'll come back," he continued.

"But oppa..." Ji Eun tried to talk but Shuan put one of his thumbs over her lips. She understood and she stood still, waiting for him.

"Ji Eun-ah. It may be too late to say this but I still will. I love you. I love you with all my heart."

She gasped at his statement. He was looking straight into her eyes and she knew he was serious and sincere. But there was sadness hidden in his stare and she felt it.

"I don't remember when I fell in love with you. All I know is that I do and I do not regret it. You were one of the best things 2012 has given to me. I have my work, the KOXX, our fame, our new friends. But none of those can compare to what joy I've felt loving you," he said.

"Oppa," said Ji Eun holding onto his wrists. Shaun wanted to say more but paused. He needed to know what Ji Eun was to say. "Is that true?" she asked. Shaun, unsure of what the question meant, nodded. Ji Eun pursed her lips as she breathed deep. She gave a weak smile before saying, "I love you as well."

Shaun's jaw dropped and also did his hands. He wasn't sure if what he heard was right. "You love me, too?" he asked. 

Ji Eun faintly smiled and tilted her head. "Do you think this is the time to joke around?" she said.

Shaun smiled and thought she was right. He shook his head unable to accept that he sounded stupid with his last question. He looked back at Ji Eun and stared straight into her eyes. They were red from crying but she no longer had tears in her eyes. A light joy was held through them and Shaun saw it in her. He was starting to feel relieved. A long time has he hid his feelings towards this girl and now it was out and he was happy with what her reaction was.

Ji Eun only stared at him, the last moment she could ever in 2 years. He held her cheeks again. But this time, he pulled her up closer to him until his lips met hers. Her hands tried to push him away by reflex. But she liked it. She liked how he was this close to her, how his lips only pressed themselves against hers. No movement, like those she sees in other people. Just something light and sweet. She closed her eyes in rhythm with his right hand moving to the back of her head.

Shaun stepped back and kept his eyes locked on Ji Eun's. "If you love me the same way I do, wait for me. Two years will only be quick but a lot could happen. Please. When I come back, I want you to be there to welcome me. I want us to continue what we couldn't do now. In the meantime, do your best to be better and reach for your dreams. I'll be right there supporting you," he said.

"I want to wait for you. I will," answered Ji Eun surely. "I love you. Please stay safe," she finally said before embracing her lover as tight as she could.

Everyone else were watching the two silently. Tablo, Sunbin and Hyunsong already shed a tear while the others tried to hold everything back in. It was a sad sight to see lovers unable to be together no matter how strong their emotions are for each other. But despite the lonely feel of the situation, the sun shone its brightest that hour during their embrace. Maybe everything would fall into the right place after today. Maybe love will really win.