Another Goodbye?

It Was All Worth It

"When was the first time that you kissed?" asked Simon D.

"Aish. Why does it have to be you to ask that question? It sounds so awkward!" said EunJ.

"Hey. I have a reputation to keep here. I'm considered the hottest guy underground," said Simon D proudly sitting back in his chair.

"No. It's Gray oppa," said EunJ matter-of-factly, to which Simon D just sneered.

"The day I left for military service was the first time I kissed her," answered Shaun.

"When was the next?" asked Vandal Rock.

Shaun looked up, trying to remember when the second instance was. "I think it was when I came back from the army," he said looking back at the men in front of him.

"What was that? Like a welcome kiss?" asked MYK.

"No. It was another goodbye kiss," said Shaun.

~

The doorbell rang and Shaun had to get up from his computer. He was just about to finish a good remix he thought of sharing with Vandal Rock once they meet up tonight. He stood up and walked to the door, not bothering to wear a shirt. It was summer and Korea was hot as it is.

"Hello," greeted Shaun as he swung the door open.

A wide-eyed Ji Eun stood at the other side, her eyes wide open. He hurriedly took the jacket that hung near the door and covered his torso. "Ji Eun-ah," he said keeping the door open.

"Uhm.. Sorry I didn't tell you I was coming," she said. "Is it a bad time?"

"No. I was just... Come in. I was just finishing a song," said Shaun stepping aside to let Ji Eun in. But she didn't even move.

"It doesn't matter. I was just here to invite you out for coffee or something," she said.

"Coffee? In this heat?" said Shaun.

"Uhm... Iced? You know I love coffee," said Ji Eun smiling shyly.

"Of course, I know that. How can I ever forget what you like? Are you asking me out on a date?" smiled Shaun. 

Ji Eun smiled and softly shook her head. "Kinda. But no. I just... I just wanted to be with you," she said.

"Why don't you come in first? I'll just go change then we could go," he said with a wide smile.

Ji Eun entered and walked inside. Shaun went straight to his room while she settled on the sofa. Nothing changed so much in his house. There was just 2 more guitars near the keyboard. There were action figures lined up on the shelf above his side table. Ji Eun stood up and walked to the table, staring at the picture frame in the center. It was the KOXX. Ji Eun smiled unconsciously as she looked at it. There was Sooryun and Hyunsong with arms across each other's shoulders. Shaun was behind them with V signs. Sunbin was at the far left looking straight at the camera with his usual timid smile and Saron was looking up, with a big smile on his face.

Shaun came out of the bathroom in black jeans and a shirt over his shoulders. He was adjusting his belt when he saw Ji Eun standing over the side table. He knew what was on it and he smiled. He took the shirt and put his arms over the holes, walking towards Ji Eun.

"Do you miss them?" asked Shaun as he slid the shirt over his head.

Ji Eun looked up at him and smiled. "Yes. I miss them so much. Too bad Hyunsong oppa couldn't come yesterday. I miss talking to Saron oppa as well," she said as she bit her lips, trying not cry.

Shaun noticed how she pursed her lips together and sigh deeply. "I miss them, too. That's why I put them there. So whenever I work on my music, I kinda feel that they're right there watching over me. And maybe hit my head every now and then," he said smiling almost into a laugh.

"Sooryun oppa would shout at you if you hit a wrong key while you play the piano," said Ji Eun.

"Hyunsong hyung would give me another progression 101 lesson," laughed Shaun.

Ji Eun looked up at him and smiled. "I never visited this place since you left," she said. Shaun lost the smile on his face and listened. "Sunbin oppa would ask me to come here every now and then, but I couldn't. It just wasn't the same without you," she continued.

Shaun took one of her hands and held it with his. Their eyes stayed locked at each other's until Shaun touched the frame with his band's picture in it. "So, you never got to see the one other thing that made my life complete other than the KOXX," he said. Ji Eun just hummed and tilted her head. Shaun looked one last time at her and smiled. He put the frame down and revealed a smaller one behind it. The picture in it was a selca he and Ji Eun had back in 2012, their very first one.

Ji Eun let Shaun go and took the frame in both her hands, staring at it with a faint smile. Shaun looked at her with much love. He no longer was looking at a teenage girl who smiled with energy and sincerity. Two years has passed and it changed her as well. She was much more beautiful now. She has started to dress more neatly, even a dash of light make up. She had eyes that mixed stress, joy and fatigue all together, all hidden behind her glasses. But she still had that same smile, that smile that makes him cringe whenever it was directed at him.

She finally looked up at him and said, "This was when we were under Han bridge, right? We were eating ice cream with the band and Jinsil oppa, Sol oppa and Tukutz and Mithra papa."

"Yes," answered Shaun putting an arm on her waist, pulling her close to him.

"So... This was one of the things that completed you?" asked Ji Eun.

Shaun grinned then took the frame her hands. He placed it on the table then brought the other picture frame up, making it stand beside their photo. He looked back at Ji Eun and pulled her even closer. He leaned on her shoulder and hugged her tight, tighter than he was able to before. He heard her gasp but she was soon hugging him back burying her face in his shoulders. "It's still you that completes me, Ji Eun-ah, after all this time," he said relaxing himself in her embrace.

They stayed that way for a while. "Yoonho oppa," said Ji Eun, the older humming back to reply. "Do you still want to get that coffee?" she asked.

Shaun let her go and blinked twice. "Right. We were supposed to go out. Let me get my keys," said Shaun hurriedly walking towards his drawer near his bed and getting his keys.

The two walked to a cafe in Mapo-gu. They didn't talk much and Ji Eun avoided looking at Shaun. They ordered drinks for each of them. It was a hot afternoon and not much people were walking outside. Ji Eun chose a table inside the cafe at the far end.

"Are you trying to avoid people? The paparazzis?" asked Shaun said finally understanding what was happening.

"Yes. I'm sorry. I know you're not used to hiding. It's just... They've been everywhere ever since that issue with Loco oppa came up," said Ji Eun.

"It's fine. I understand. Don't worry about me," said Shaun.

Ji Eun shifted in her seat and faced Shaun. "Oppa. Ever since I became an idol, I couldn't do the things I did back then without being scared that people would be following me. I mean, I never really cared what they talk or say about me. I know I'm not doing anything bad. But it's the privacy. I feel like people keep on watching me, even when I'm inside the bathroom!" she explained trying not to laugh at the last words she said. "Sorry about that," she continued smiling.

"That comes with being famous, Ji Eun-ah," smiled Shaun.

"I guess I'm not just really used to it. That's why I love being an underground artist more. People recognize me but they stay away most of the times. They just let me have fun with the guys," said Ji Eun.

"You know, when I was done with duties at the army back then, this group of soldiers would hang out in the lobby and watch television. A lot of them like you, actually," said Shaun.

"Really?" asked Ji Eun leaning on the table with her arms. Shaun nodded as he sipped through his drink. "Were you one of them?" she asked

"Oh. My case was different. I didn't like you," said Shaun seriously. This made Ji Eun pout. He then smiled and leaned on the table just across her. He leaned closer to her and said in a whisper, "I loved you."

Ji Eun bowed her head as she tried not to blush. His face was to close so she pushed him away. "You still haven't change. You're still trying to flirt with me. You're still too cheesy," she said smiling.

"And you haven't changed as well. Still so serious, still playing around with me, and still making me love you more," said Shaun.

"I'm still the same Ji Eun you know. I mean... I try to put on a fierce image on stage, in front of poeple I don't know. But I'm still the kid that would cling to you every time we're together," she said.

"That's good. Because I changed," said Shaun. "I'm more independent now. More mature, I think."

"And you gained weight," said Ji Eun with a wide smile.

"Yes. I gained weight. I had to. The things done inside the camp are hard work and when it's meal time, you have to fill yourself up," he said defending himself.

"Well, that's good. When you were here, you barely ate anything. You look better now than 2 years ago, when you looked so skinny. Even your cheeks look fuller. You look more handsome now," said Ji Eun.

"I'll take that as a compliment," said Shaun leaning forward again smiling from ear to ear.

Ji Eun just smiled and leaned back on her seat, folding her arms. Shaun did the same and stared back at her. "I wish you could flirt with me more," she said.

"I thought my flirting doesn't work on you?" asked Shaun raising an eyebrow at her.

"Well, honestly, they really don't. But I missed it. Especially when Sooryun oppa would teach you a thing or two about it," smiled Ji Eun.

"Sooryun hyung looks like he's flirting even though he's just staring at you," said Shaun.

"That's because he looks so damn fine. He doesn't need to put any effort to make a girl swoon over him. And that is something you can't do," said Ji Eun sticking her tongue out.

"Want me to show you my charms?" smiled Shaun.

"Do that when I come back," said Ji Eun.

"Huh?! What do you mean?" asked Shaun tilting his head to the side.

Ji Eun breathed deep then sighed. "I'm going to America tomorrow, oppa," she said.

"America?! Tomorrow?! You're leaving already?! Why?!" asked Shaun sitting up straight.

"I have projects lined up in America. Music. I'm going to work with some people and it requires me to stay there."

"How long? What... What's going to happen to your university?!"

"I already filed a leave until next semester."

"So you're going to stay there until January?"

"For the most of it, yes. Probably."

"So... After making you wait, you're going to make me wait for you?"

"Not in that sense. This was already planned. I just didn't know when. I'm just happy I was able to see you come back before I go. I'm sorry."

"You don't have to be. Who are you going to stay with there?"

"I don't know. The managers, I guess. I could visit Parker every now and then. Or Jehan oppa."

"Who's Jehan?"

"Jay Park's brother."

"So you won't be here for our birthdays."

"I don't know. But I want to be there."

"Why don't you get your cup and let's get you back home. You have some packing to do," said Shaun standing up.

Ji Eun did as she was told. She sensed the sadness in his voice and didn't continue with the topic. Shaun called for a taxi and they headed towards Ji Eun's apartment back in Mapo-gu, the ones said to be part of YG elite housing choices.

"So you live here now huh?" asked Shaun as the elevator stopped and opened on the 3rd floor.

"Yeah. Company stuff," she answered. "I want to move out though, once I'm able to pay for everything already. This is like a 5-year privilege from the company. After that, I have to go."

"You live alone?" asked Shaun.

"Yup. And it ," she said with a sarcastic smile as she opened the door to her apartment.

Shaun's eyes grew wide as he saw how big the place was for herself. The center of the house was a huge space with glass doors parallel to the main door. There were doors on either side of the glass doors which he thought were bedrooms. The right side was the kitchen which was also huge. He looked to the right side and saw a hall. He presumed it led to the bathroom because he saw a water bin near a door. There was only a TV and sofa near the glass doors. The walls were lined up with shelves full of books and albums and other memorabilia. On the left wall was a piano, a guitar and a computer table. On the right wall stood a suitcase. That must be her things, thought Shaun.

"Big place, huh?" asked Ji Eun looking up at him.

"Really big. The band can already live here together. Including Jinsil and the Solutions.," said Shaun.

"Haha~ I wouldn't want Jinsil oppa here. He's too noisy," said Ji Eun. "Come in. Do you want anything?"

"No, it's fine, Ji Eun-ah. I can go now. I only wanted to take you home," said Shaun.

Ji Eun stepped on the main floor from the entrance and faced Shaun. She was now only a few inches smaller than Shaun. She could see his eyes without looking up so much. "I'm sorry it has to be this way, me leaving tomorrow," she said. "All I thought was when you come back, everything would be fine, that I could spend time with you. But I guess we can't yet." Shaun only looked at her. "I wanted to tell you everything that happened to me, all the people I've met, all the places I've been to. I wanted to hear you sing for me again. I just want to be with you. But why do they always have to let us live apart?"

Shaun saw a tear fall down from eyes. She's right. Why does it have to be like this every time? He patted her head and looked straight into her eyes.

"Maybe it's not just time yet, Ji Eun-ah. Maybe... The heavens just want us to be better artists first. Then maybe become better people. Maybe we need to work more and understand the value of time. Maybe... Just maybe. We need to know if it's really each other that we want to love," said Shaun trying to comfort her despite feeling his own tears build up.

"Aren't you sure you want to love me?" asked Ji Eun.

"I'm sure. I am one hundred percent sure that it's you I love. Only you, Ji Eun-ah," he answered sliding his hand down to her cheek.

"When I come back, could you date me everyday? Would you let me disturb you every time you're in the studio? Could you call me every morning and night?" Ji Eun said as she started to cry. "Could you let me hold your hand when you're too stressed? Could you walk to the grocery with me? Could you let me choose clothes for you? Could you fetch me everyday after class? Could you let me cook for you? Could we go to Busan and bathe in the sun? Could we....."

Shaun had tears in his eyes as well. He placed his thumb across her lips to make her stop. He leaned his forehead against hers and held her face with both hands. "Listen, Ji Eun. When you come back, we'll do everything together. I promise. We'll make all of this waiting worth it. I'm willing to wait to finally be able to hold you in my arms for as long as we want. That's how much I love you," he said.

"I love you, too, oppa. I love you so much," said Ji Eun as she held onto his wrists. She leaned forward and both of them caught each other's lips, not wanting to end the kiss any sooner.