Meeting New Friends

It Was All Worth It

"What happened after Shaun left?" asked MYK.

"Nothing much happened. In the first days at camp, it was easy to talk to people because there was much free time. But as days went by and more duties came, you can't just stay on your phone all the time, and when it's free time, I just sleep or eat," said Shaun.

"After Shaun left, Ji Eun changed," said Zico.

"It was never easy being away from Shaun oppa," said Ji Eun.

"I remember Ji Eun becoming more gloomy and detached the day Shaun hyung left," said Seungyoon. "I was training with her. Back then she was the one who always pushed us to get better but still have fun. But a few months before her debut, she started to go home early. She didn't eat with other trainees anymore."

"I remember catching Ji Eun-ah in the practice halls playing fun music. But one night, I think that was a week before she debuted, I went down to check up on her practice. I looked through the door and she wasn't. She was listening to Baek Ji Young's songs. And isn't she known for heartbreak songs? She was just staring at herself in the mirror in a corner," said Yang Hyunsuk.

"It was a like a new Ji Eun came out of nowhere," said Sunbin.

"We didn't know if it was because she was busy with her idol schedules or because she didn't feel like spending time with other people," said Sooryun.

"But it was obvious she was looking for someone," said Tukutz.

"And that's Shaun. It has always been him," said Simon D.

 

~

 

"Ji Eun-ssi, want to go eat dinner with us?" asked Zico.

"Where?" she asked.

"At Itaewon. There's a new restaurant we saw last week and we thought it would be nice to try it out," said Kyung.

"I can't. I still have classes tomorrow morning and I haven't even reviewed yet," said Ji Eun taking her bag with her.

"Come on, Ji Eun. You have to relax sometimes," said UKwon.

"I can relax at home," she insisted as she walked away. Zico stood in front of her, stopping her from making another step. They were at Myeongdeong station, fresh from a studio session with Buckwilds. She finally sighed and lifted her arms in defeat. "Okay. All right! I'll go. But I only have 2 hours to spare. Who are we gonna be with?" she asked.

"Some new friends you can talk to. Come on," said Kyung pulling her to follow him.

The cafe was located in the heart of Itaewon. The three boys wore facemasks while Ji Eun had nothing on. Even though she already is an idol, not a lot of people recognized her. She wore glasses but on stage, she took them off. Shaun always said she looked different without glasses and she liked it that way, her close friends only knowing who the real EunJ was.

"Shaun," she thought as his memory entered her head. "I wonder what he's doing now."

The four of them went in. At the far end, a group of men stood up and greeted them. Ji Eun recognized one of them as i11evn.

"Ji Eun-ssi," he greeted.

"Ikje oppa," she said.

"Wow. You two doing first names already eh? That's good," said Kyung.

Ji Eun has known i11evn because she's been introduced to Highflies last year because of Beenzino and other Jiggy Fellaz members. She's been in contact with everyone from Grandpics ever since. They became like her big brothers. There were other boys in the group. Some Ji Eun thinks she already saw somewhere, and some who looked new to her.

"How are you, Ji Eun-ssi? It's been a while," asked i11evn.

"I've been good. A bit stressed at university," said Ji Eun as Zico invited them all to sit down. "It's a large crowd you invited, Jiho-ah. And I'm the only girl," she said.

"Who said you're a girl? Aren't you one of the boys?" said UKwon smiling.

One of the boys Ji Eun didn't know, the one with puffy cheeks, tapped i11evn on the shoulders and she heard him ask who she was. She merely smiled at this gesture and remained unknowing. It is surprising when there are still people who don't recognize her.

"By the way, guys, this is Ahn Ji Eun. She's the new rapper from YG, EunJ," said Kyung. Ji Eun smiled and then bowed to all of them.

"Woah. Really?" asked the pretty boy beside Zico. "You look different with glasses."

"I get that a lot," she answered with a faint smile.

"Ji Eun, these are the members of the new crew we wanted you to meet. DaeNamHyup," said Zico. "And yes, i11evn hyung is part of the crew," he said smiling.

"So, you're the hyung," said Ji Eun nodding slightly.

"Who doesn't really act like one most of the times," said the boy with dark complexion beside Zico. "Hi, I'm Kim Namjoon. I currently go as Randa but I'm going to change my moniker soon to Rap Monster. Nice meeting you, noona," he said smiling at her.

"Rap Monster huh. Then you must really be good," said Ji Eun.

"Yeah. Well. I believe I am," he answered feeling proud.

"And who are you?" Ji Eun asked the boy beside i11evn.

"My name is Jung Taegyun. I'm also a rapper and I do beatbox. I go by Marvel J underground," said the boy with puffy cheeks.

"Hey. I heard your name before. You joined the beatbox competition last year with the AD#D crew. You were good. But I didn't know your face. Didn't you do a song with the Untouchable sunbaes? And with Crispi Crunch?" asked Ji Eun.

"Oh. Yes. I did," Marvel J smiled. "I also tried for Show Me The Money but didn't get in."

Soon, everyone was able to introduce themselves to Ji Eun. She was delighted to know that most of them were the same age as her and she felt comfortable talking to them. She also learned that two of the members, Rap Monster and Kidoh were scheduled to debut as part of idol groups that same year.

"Would you guys still be doing underground work after debuting?" asked Ji Eun.

"I want to. But it all depends on what happens after debut," said Kidoh.

"You didn't start out from underground, right?" asked Supreme Boi.

"No. I mean, I was aware of the underground scene. I was at most shows. But I never did work. I always felt like I lacked skills compared to my sunbaes. And I didn't want to be in any crew . No one wanted to take me in actually," said Ji Eun with a slight laugh.

"Ji Eun is actually mentored by one of the best rappers. Simon D," prided Zico.

"Really?" asked Iron eyes wide open.

"Well, yeah. He's like a dad to me. I come from Busan myself and he's famous there," said Ji Eun.

"No wonder you sounded professional in your debut song," said Kyum2.

"I got help," smiled Ji Eun.

"Do you already have a boyfriend, Ji Eun-ssi?" asked DJ Snatch.

"Huh? Uhm... No. I don't have a boyfriend. Sort of," answered Ji Eun hesitantly.

"Really? Too bad. You're beautiful," said Rap Monster.

"It's not like I could go around and look for a boyfriend when I have work and university classes to go to," said Ji Eun.

"And people always guarding her like Epik High and Simon D sunbaenim," said Zico snickering.

"And besides, she already is just waiting for someone to come back so they could be together," said Kyung teasingly.

"Oh. Already took your heart?" asked i11evn. "I didn't know you had a some relationship."

"Could we stop talking about him please?" said Ji Eun suddenly folding her arms.

"Hey. Peace. We just wanted to know," said Supreme Boi.

"Will it be fine if you spent time with us? Just friendly stuff," said Marvel J.

"I hope the guy doesn't mind," said i11evn.

"He wouldn't. He's in the army," said Zico. "But you still can't flirt with her," he continued when Rap Monster rested his elbows on the table with a smirk on his face.

"What?! I was just looking," said Rap Monster.

"Just making sure you understood the situation," answered Zico.

"If hanging out with you guys includes you and your beatbox skills, I'll definitely hang out with you," smiled Ji Eun looking at Marvel J.

"Sure," answered Marvel J taking his hand out and made a handshake with her.

"Woah! She knows how rappers shake hands," said Snatch.

"I told you, guys. I'm a rapper," she said.

The next morning, Ji Eun came down from her apartment with her backpack and four sandwiches. Marvel J and Kidoh were waiting for her in front of the building. She gave them each a sandwich and hid the other two in her bag. "So, are you going to walk me to the bus station?" she asked.

"Train station. You're taking the blue line to Gwanakgu, right? We're taking the red line to Dongdaemungu," said Kidoh.

"Yes. Are you both going to Kyunghee University?" pouted Ji Eun.

"Yes. I wanted to take digital engineering," said Kidoh.

"What are you applying for, noona?" asked Marvel J.

"I was choosing between Math or Psychology or maybe Business," answered Ji Eun.

"Woah. That's heavy," answered Marvel J.

"I think it's more practical to take Business," said Kidoh.

"I know. But Math has always been my favorite subject and Psychology has always been a big interest of mine. It's amazing how the mind works," answered Ji Eun.

"Hey, where are we going to meet later? For lunch?" asked Marvel J.

"We haven't even applied yet and you're already thinking of lunch?" said Kidoh hitting his forehead lightly.

"Well, at least he has an appetite unlike you," smiled Ji Eun as she pointed at Kidoh.

"I have a very nice metabolism and that's why I'm skinny," said Kidoh defending himself.

"You know, Shaun used to be as skinny as you are," said Ji Eun.

"Oh..  That's your boyfriend, right?" asked Marvel J.

"I wish he was," answered Ji Eun as he held onto Marvel J's arm.

"Wouldn't it be awkward if the press people saw you hanging out with us?" asked Marvel J.

"I don't know. Maybe? But what should they care? This is my life," answered Ji Eun.

"Speaking like a real rapper," smiled Kidoh.

"I don't know. I just really think that people should not care what we artists do on our free time, especially when they're with friends. They should just be happy the person has a life of their own away from the camera," explained Ji Eun.

"So, does that mean we're already friends?" asked Marvel J.

"I wouldn't say yes to this morning walk if I didn't want you two as my friends, right?" said Ji Eun. "Chubby MJ," she continued as she pinched on Marvel J's cheek.

"She has a point," said Kidoh.