Chapter 03 : Something is better than nothing

Housemates
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Sehun was almost done cleaning the kitchen, although it didn't look clean at all and only the water which was covering the floor before after the water fight that was held about an hour ago was gone now, when the door bell rang and he saw sera sprint towards the door.

"Umma!", sera opened the door to greet her parents who appeared in front of her.

She moved so that her parents could come in. Seeing her father coming in loaded with bags, she smiled sweetly making him feel happier seeing his daughter after a long day's work.

She was about to close the door when she spotted a well dressed man, around her father's age standing in front if her, smiling.

Her eyebrows rose as a gesture questioning as to what this person was doing in front of her.

"Hello. May I come in?" The man asked kindly making sera now smile responding to his kindness.

Not knowing what to do she stood there anxiously.

But thankfully her mother came back almost immediately, smiled at the gentleman in front and asked him to come in.

Sera watched as the tall man came inside their house. She closed the door and followed them to the living room where the man sat down comfortably on their large couch. The way he sat down and waited with his legs quite close to each other, showed sera that he looked like a humble person although his attire told otherwise.

Kyungsoo who came to the living room now, bowed to the gentleman in front and smiled. Sera's father too, after placing the many bags he brought in, joined the rest and asked the man,

"Would you like something to drink, sir?"

Sera narrowed her gaze at the man as her father mentioned sir at the end.

Sir? Is he a new dealer? Is he taking over appa's business?

She wondered and looked at the man as he shook his head politely and answered,

"Oh no thank you. Let's just get to what I came here for and I'll leave you in peace".

Sera's father laughed a bit and came closer to Mrs Kim and said something. Mrs Kim nodded and was about to leave the living room when everyone heard a person speak behind them,

"Annyaseho, adjumma and adjussi", sehun who still had his clothes half drenched from the previous incident involving water, came out of the kitchen and into the living room, and smiled at Mr and Mrs Kim.

"Ah sehun, I was just about to come get you. Someone is here to meet you", Mrs Kim pointed at the man who now stood up as sehun moved his eyes to look at him.

Sera wondering as to how and why the polite man was here to see sehun, saw sehun's smile change into a frown. She saw his chest starting to move up and down furiously.

The man now moved in front of sehun and smiled saying,

"How are you doing, son?"

Sera's eyes widened hearing this. She didn't expect him to be sehun's father. He looked nothing like sehun. Rather sehun looked nothing like him both appearance wise and manners wise. She looked at kyungsoo who was next to her to see that he too was sharing her astonishment.

Both of them watched as the man smiled at sehun and said,

"After a long time, isn't it, sehun? I heard you wanted to come back to Korea. I'm glad you came here. Maybe we can adjust our schedules to spend some time together. Don't you think it's a good idea, son?"

The man now moved his hand and placed it on sehun's shoulder lovingly. Sera smiled a bit seeing the fact that the man, who she knew was a busy person since obviously sehun was filthy rich and obviously his father earned a lot, was paying attention to his son and wanted to spend more time with him. But the fact that sehun was staying at their place and not his father's started bothering her right after.

Sehun who was frowning all this time looked at the man who was smiling at him. He raised his hand only to push away his father's which was on his shoulder with great force and whisk out of the room and towards the front door, leaving the rest dumbstruck. Mr and Mrs Kim looked at each other as they heard the front door open and shut with a loud bang.

Kyungsoo who saw his agitated aunt and uncle, their speechless guest and confused sera, excused himself and ran towards the door hoping to catch up with sehun.

"Um I suppose he was just surprised", Mrs Kim spoke with an altering tone after couple of minutes wanting to break the awkward silence.

The man smiled at her and replied,

"Yes, he must have been quite surprised", a bit embarrassed.

Sera watched as the man now smiled but less sweetly than of before and sat down again.

¤¤¤

"Ah sehun... where the hell are you?" Kyungsoo screamed and kicked a stone on the road.

He was looking for sehun as a result of not been able to catch up with him from the time he spotted his head run off, from their doorstep.

He walked now, slowly along the dark streets lit up with the street lights here and there. He tried calling sehun again. He listened as the phone beeped from the other side waiting for sehun to pick up.

Suddenly he heard the beeping sound stop.

"Yah where are you? It's been two hours already", kyungsoo started shouting.

"Idiot, sehun left his phone on the kitchen table!", sera shouted from the other corner.

"What?" Kyungsoo asked annoyed now.

"I was trying not to answer before 'cause his father was still here. He left just now, so find sehun and come back quickly. Appa is out looking for him as well" Sera spoke and cut the line.

Kyungsoo sighed and put his phone back into his pocket. He walked along the streets and now came to a part where he already checked before.

He was about to turn to go back when he remembered that at the end of the path was his spot where he usually spent his afternoon's thinking, after school. It was sort of an edge of a hill where you could see the town below. Not many visit that place although it is known to be a beautiful sight. He has never been there during the night time so he turned in order to go pay it a visit.

Soon he found himself sitting at his usual spot with grass all around him and the night sky filled with stars above. He breathed in the sweet fresh air and looked up to see the stars twinkling.

"Umma...appa...you hear me, right?" Kyungsoo spoke in a sweet whisper and smiled, "I miss you...alot"

Kyungsoo smiled again and looked at the grass making his hair fall onto his eyes now partially covering them. He breathed in again to continue.

"Uncle and Aunt are taking care of me really well. Thanks to you, you left me in good hands".

And he closed his eyes now breathing in the air.

"Lucky you".

Kyungsoo's eyes flashed open as he heard a voice behind him. He turned around to see sehun now standing behind, looking down at him.

He was taken by surprise when he found the person he was looking for appearing in front or rather behind him all of a sudden. His immediate thought was to grab sehun and drag him all the way home but instead he pushed that thought out as he saw sehun's dull face with no smirk or excitement on it as sehun always did.

So Kyungsoo moved a bit gesturing him to sit down. Sehun without any hesitation sat down, still with the grim look that took over his face a couple of hours back.

The two boys stayed silent for a couple of minutes before sehun asked,

"Aren't you going to ask me why I ran away?"

Kyungsoo looked at sehun and turned back to look at the town far away lit with light bulbs here and there, he was looking at before, and answered,

"If you want to tell me the reason, then you might as well let it out of your system now"

Sehun sighed as he crossed his legs and sat crouching a bit, and started running his fingers through the grass.

"Why did he come? He would have done what he always did back then...ignore" Sehun whispered now to himself.

"He's your father,sehun" Kyungsoo said now looking at him.

"Oh no. He's not my father. At least not anymore. I don't have parents. I don't have a family...", sehun said now turning his head to see d.o. confused.

D.O. wanted to argue back saying he just saw sehun's father and he obviously knew sehun had a family but he quickly realized that there was something else going on that he doesn't know about.

"Well at least you've got someone to call as your family", kyungsoo replied.

"Are you kidding me? You have a family. Adjumma, Adjussi and sera are your family. I just have people who say I'm their son and not give a after that".

"Hmm well something is better than nothing", d.o. said sighing and now stood up.

"Let's go. They must be worried. Especially adjumma".

Sehun looked at d.o now.

"Your father's not there. He already went"

Sehun stared back as if he was trying to figure out how kyungsoo was reading his mind. Nevertheless he stood up and soon the two boys found themselves out on the streets leaving kyungsoo's secret spot behind.

Both were silently walking on the street, with d.o. in front and sehun following him, when suddenly the latter bumped into the former.

Sehun shook his head to see why kyungsoo had stopped suddenly when he saw him standing there petrified.

He followed kyungsoo's gaze and saw a girl near a house taking the garbage out and placing it in a big bin. It took a couple of seconds before sehun recognized the girl. She was the one who played the guitar to the song sera sang on the day sehun first fell for her. He noticed that the girl's pixie hair cut was on longer there but instead had long curls beautifully falling on to her shoulders.

"Wah...sunny noona finally grew her hair", sehun said yet a bit dim, still not fully recovered from his father's sudden appearance.

Kyungsoo diverted his gaze soon after he heard sehun mention the girl's name or rather nick name.

"Um Yeah..." kyungsoo just mumbled a reply and started walking again.

Sehun sensing something but not being able to quite piece it together, followed kyungsoo.

In no time at all both were on the lane walking towards their house when Mr.kim caught up and got ahold of both the boys necks cheerfully.

"There you are! Come on, let's quickly go to bed you two. Long day tomorrow", Mr. Kim said forcing a very cheerful smile. He didn't want sehun to feel any difference. He wasn't sure as to what was going on but he didn't want his new housemate who was already like a son to him feel left out or unsupported.

He got the two kids into the house just as it started drizzling and Mrs.kim greeted the two boys, showing a bit more obvious concern towards sehun.

Both stayed with Mrs. Kim as she asked whether they wanted anything to drink. Both of them sat down on the couch dimly and stayed there listening to Mrs.kim going on about something but not really paying any attention to her as both of them had their minds occupied.

After sometime the front door burst open to see sera come in. She came in worried with her hood up and a torch on her hand.

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter