Twenty-Eight

Hello, My Ghost Friend
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

 

"I can't see her... Ji Haewon..." Jungkook was in state of panic. To have the girl he loved suddenly disappear in a photo wasn't something that happened everyday. There was no single trace of her face on the photo, it was completely empty.

He held the photo tightly in his hands as he sped off to the playground near the school. Jaemin was there as usual, sitting on the swings, watching the elementary school children playing without him. Jungkook let out a breath of relief when he saw the boy sitting there. He thought that he disappeared too because he hadn't seen him for days.

"Jaemin!" Jungkook walked over to the swings, panting.

"Oh, Kook hyung, you're here!" Jaemin immediately stood up from the swings. Have you come to play?"

"I-I'm sorry, but I'm not here to play. It's about Haewon..." Jungkook showed the younger boy the empty picture. "She was in this picture, but now she's gone. Since you're a ghost and all, do you know what happened? I need to know."

"Eh?" Jaemin took the picture out of Jungkook's possession and examined it carefully, creasing his eyebrows together in bewilderment. "Noona's gone? I've never seen anything like this, so I don't know anything about it... Sorry, hyung. But we could go to the Seoul Memorial Hall to check if you'd like."

Jungkook wanted nothing more than to go to the memorial hall to check if Haewon's memorial was still there. Even if there was nothing there anymore, he wanted there to still be a fragment of her picture. As he followed behind Jaemin, his vision started to swirl uncontrollably. He stopped in the middle of a crossing road while the green pedestrian light flickered.

"Hyung, hurry!" Jaemin's small hand grabbed on to Jungkook's as the boy guided him away from the honking cars that were wondering why he was standing in the middle of the crossroad when the pedestrian light had turned red.

Jaemin released Jungkook's hand and turned towards him. The small ghost boy peeked at his expressions and his actions which clearly told him that Jungkook wasn't alright. His legs were trembling, they felt so weak, as if they were sticks that could easily be broken. Jungkook felt embarrassed to show Jaemin this wimpy side of him, because he looked up to him all the time for being tough. 

"I must look like an idiot, right? I can't even seem to make my legs move a few steps." Jungkook managed to smile at Jaemin. "It's alright, Jaemin-ah. Let's just go back to the playground. It's getting late."

"No, hyung. We can't do that." Jaemin grabbed his hand again, this time Jungkook noticed he was holding it tighter. There was a stern look on his face and for a second Jungkook wondered which one of them was older. Jaemin shook his head until his hair was messy. "I can see it on your face, hyung. I know that you want so check on Haewon noona so badly. Don't cry hyung, and just follow me."

Sometimes, while looking at Jaemin, Jungkook wondered what this sweet boy ever did to deserve such a tragic death.

 

 

The memorial hall hadn't changed one bit since Jungkook came the last time. It was when he saw Haewon's memorial for the first time, and that was months ago. Now that he was here, he hoped that he would be able to see it once. Being away from her face made Jungkook absolutely restless. Having no pictures of her to remember made it even worse. 

Jungkook and Jaemin entered the place together. Their shoes made squeaking noises against the polished marble floors, but only Jungkook's could be heard echoing. They walked, and his ears could pick up all sorts of noises from crying to children who'd come with their parents, laughing and running around the place, oblivious to where they were. They proceeded up the steps where numerous ghosts passed them by, one even made short eye contact with Jungkook and he kept his head down. 

"Hyung, we're here." Jaemin informed.

"Mhm, I know." Jungkook took a deep breath as he entered the room where he last remembered to have seen Haewon's memorial. Jaemin followed behind him and they neared the glass cabinets to find that one of them was empty. That one just had to be Haewon's. Jungkook remembered that her memorial was located in between an old man's and a woman in her twenties. Now in between them, there was nothing. There wasn't even a fragment of her picture like Jungkook had hoped for, it was as if Hanuel-nim didn't even plan to leave a speck of dust in the cabinet. Was he trying to tease Jungkook?

Jungkook's hand slowly reached out to touch the empty, closed glass cabinet. His finger

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter