Twenty-Two

Hello, My Ghost Friend
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

Jungkook pulled his black hoodie over his head. He checked himself in the mirror to make sure he was presentable enough (although he always was), and patted down the strands of hair that were sticking out of place. Smiling at his reflection, he placed a hand on his beating heart. Today he was filled with excitement because he was going to have the chance to take Haewon somewhere again. 

They'd stopped going on adventures for about a week ever since they went to visit Haewon's family. Jungkook had tests getting in his way so he was only able to have dates with her on the rooftop of the school. He didn't mind though, the rooftop was a calming place and the view it gave was just breathtaking. Students seldom ventured up there too. That meant more privacy for the both of them.

When Jungkook stepped out of his house, the chilling winds blew past him. Autumn was approaching soon in a few weeks. He shivered at how refreshing the weather felt on this fine Saturday morning. It was perfect for going out.

"Oh, Jungkook! You're up early!" Jimin yelled at him from next door.

The older boy looked like he had just woken up. Jimin was still dressed in his black pajama pants and his hair was disheveled, worse compared to Jungkook's. It was a surprise for him to be up this early since, like Taehyung, Jimin preferred sleeping until noon on weekends.

"Morning, Jimin hyung." Jungkook greeted, watching his hyung pick up a basket of fresh milk in front of his gate. 

Jimin eyed Jungkook up and down, noticing how nice he was dressed in the morning. "Where you going today, huh? To see Haewon?"

Jungkook widened his eyes as his face reddened at Jimin's correct guess. "How did you know? Do I look that obvious, like I'm going on date?!"

"Yeah, I guess it's pretty obvious. I'm sure you're not meeting any of the other guys, they're all still asleep. Aren't you going to see Haewon as a friend though?" Jimin laughed. "Oh wait, the both of you are dating, right?"

"Mhm, we are." Jungkook tried to suppress his grin at the overflowing pride he was starting to feel.

"How does a relationship with a ghost work though? I mean, when you kiss or hold hands, can you feel it? Then if you want to take it to next level and spice things up a little, how does that  "

"AH, HYUNG!" Jungkook's pride was kicked away by embarrassment.

Since he was rushing, he bid Jimin a sour farewell and jogged away still carrying an evident frown on his face. But he remembered that he was going to be seeing his girlfriend in a short while and he giddiness filled him. Exactly when would Haewon become human again, Jungkook wondered. He was set on asking her when he reached the front gates of school.

 

"Wow, I can't believe you're going to go on a proper date this time. I'm jealous, Ji Haewon." Seungcheol watched as Haewon danced around the empty classroom they were in. "Just look at that enthusiasm, really. I feel like I'm a big brother sending you off."

"But you've been on dates with Song Sena more than a dozen times! I think I have the privilege to go on a date with Jungkook too."

"Ji Haewon!"

Haewon chuckled at Seungcheol's outburst. Teasing Seungcheol was her favourite past time and she realised she wouldn't have much more time to do this. She hadn't even told him about her upcoming departure yet. She didn't want to leave so soon, but it was Haneul-nim's order. Slowly, her laughs died down as her gaze fell on the ground.

"Seungcheol, when are you becoming human again?"

"My waiting time got shortened by three months so... at the end of this year, why?" Seungcheol inquired curiously. "Is it about your birthday? I'll still be around to celebrate it with you, so don't worry, haha!" Haewon didn't laugh at the news, and Seungcheol sealed his lips together. "Or is that not the case..."

"Haneul-nim told me I have three weeks. My birthday will be the last day I spend in the living world before I'll be gone." Haewon sat on the edge of the table which was next to the one a dazed Seungcheol was sitting on.

"When did he tell you that, huh?" Seungcheol's voice shook.

"Last week," Haewon played with her fingers, not knowing what to do, "I wanted to find a way to tell you sooner, but I spent the whole week thinking about it. You know that the process to becoming a human takes about six months for me, right? The superiors above said they would have a lot of things to sort out because of how I died."

"Wow, this is so unfair." Seungcheol sighed. "I guess I'll be left without a close friend for the next three months... I can't believe time flew so fast, but I'm happy for you, Haewon-ah. I think you'll become a human again, for sure." The boy looked up at Haewon and smiled. 

"And we'll meet again for sure!" Haewon held up her pinky.

She knew Seungcheol thought it was a childish thing to do from the look on his face, but he locked their pinkies together anyway.

"Mhm, for sure."

 

 

Haewon stood outside the school gates, swinging back and forth. She tried tip toeing to see if she could spot Jungkook coming, and true enough, there was a familiar face sprinting towards her. She knew Jungkook was one of a kind if he could even make a ghost feel a variety of emotions in a go.

Haewon started running to Jungkook and once they were a close distance apart from each other she jumped in to his arms. Jungkook let out an amused chuckle which she could feel vibrating against her chest when he held her close to him. She sweared he must've had super strength or something because he started spinning her around in circles.

"Jeon Jungkook! Are you crazy?" Haewon lightly slapped him on the shoulder. "We're in public! Other people are staring at you like you've just been discharged out of a mental hospital!"

Jungkook stuck his lips out, nodding in 'understandment'. He rolled his eyes, but a grin creeped on his face and he leaned forward

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter