Fourteen

Hello, My Ghost Friend
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

 

Jungkook followed quietly, falling behind the little boy. The little ghost realised this and turned around to tell him to hurry up. He raised his head before jogging over to the boy who continued walking. They passed countless buildings, empty streets and crossed more than five crosswalks. As they walked, Jungkook wondered where this little boy was possibly taking him.

It was silent throughout the whole journey, so Jungkook decided to ask him some questions. 

"So, what's your name? Mine is Jungkook."

"My name is Jaemin." Jaemin replied in a monotonous voice without looking back. "You can always find me at the playground near your school, hyung. I like being there, and I... died there."

For a six year old, this boy had a pretty mature way of speaking. Jungkook knew death would always be an uncomfortable topic nobody would want to talk about. Some ghosts felt ashamed of the reasons as to why they'd died. They didn't want other ghosts to think of them as cowardly, hence they preffered to keep their cause of death a secret. 

It was rude to ask, he was aware of it, but there was an urge inside of him to know. "Sorry if this is sudden, but how did you die?"

"I was stupid. Mom always told me not to talk to strangers or go with them. B-But they took me when n-no one was l-looking, a few blocks away from school." Jaemin paused and started to sniff. "They took me to that exact playground. My h-h-hands were t-tied up and when I t-tried to escape t-they... t-they..."

Jungkook lowered his head down. "They... strangled you, didn't they?" 

Jaemin didn't reply as the small boy was just staring at Jungkook in awe. He walked over to the shorter one, placing a hand on his head. They stood alone in an empty neighbourhood street. Jaemin rubbed his eyes and stared at him again, while Jungkook felt his heart twist and it was as if something was stuck in his throat because when he tried to talk he could only choke. 

"H-Hyung, h-how did you know?" 

"I... just heard, I guess. They shouldnt've done that to you." Jungkook clenched his fists together. "But it's not like I can turn back time to prevent your case from happening... You must've been lonely, huh?" He looked down on Jaemin, his hand still on the boy's head. "Don't worry, I'll play with you next time. If you're ever lonely, you can just call me. I'm the only one around here who can see you anyway, right?"

Some ghosts weren't terrifying, they were just lonely. 

 

 

"We're here, your friend's picture is in here!" Jaemin pointed to the building in front of them. 

"Seoul Memorial Hall?" Jungkook asked unsurely, an uneasy feeling suddenly stirred in his heart. 

There was only one reason for his friend's picture to be in this memorial hall: he/she was dead. He wasn't sure if he wanted to ask Jaemin which friend's memorial was inside, waiting for him. It could've been Seungcheol's, it must've been. The older boy was the only friend of his he could think of who was dead. Unless, there was someone else...

"Follow me!" Jaemin skipped up the steps.

Jungkook's feet led him to the entrance of the large memorial hall. The place probably housed ten thousands of deceased people's ashes. He always didn't like looking in the small cabinets where there were framed pictures of their families and gifts from friends who were still alive. So as he passed different rooms in the memorial hall filled with a large number of small cabinets, he kept his head lowered. 

His eyes only wanted to look at the tiled marble floor his feet were sliding against. Don't look up, Jeon Jungkook. You know what's going to happen if you do, you'll see tons of them. 

It was only for a brief second, but the image still remained vivid in his mind. 

He'd lifted his head up out of curiosity, and the scene he saw in one of the rooms made him want to cry. Two parents were standing in front of their child's memorial, and behind them Jungkook could see a girl a few years younger than him calling their names. Her parents didn't know she was there, they didn't know she'd hugged them when they'd collapsed on to the floor in a mess of cries. That was what hurt him, the fact that they couldn't see her.

"Do you like her? Your friend." Jaemin snapped him out of his thoughts. 

Jungkook started to blush. "Mhm, I do."

Thinking about the funny incidents he had experienced with Haewon before made Jungkook's heart's rate go crazy.

Jaemin pulled on the sleeve of his school blazer all of a sudden, leading him in one of the rooms. "Hyung, your friend's in here! Don't be too surprised, okay? I'm sure you've met her before, I see you two together all the time."

Wait, her? 

An array of small cabinets stood in front of them, filled with pictures of people from young to old.

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter