Twenty

Hello, My Ghost Friend
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

A/N : Descendant of the Sun's OSTs are so good I might just write a story based off the drama lmao.

 

After school, Myungsoo found himself walking to the gates alone. Seungcheol had decided to ditch him after following him to the infirmary because the ghost boy had apparently arranged for another date again. But he didn't care, he actually felt quite happy that his friend had found the girl of his dreams. Meanwhile, Myungsoo was still hiding his feelings from the girl he liked. You're pathetic, Kim Myungsoo...

As Myungsoo walked aimlessly to the pedestrian crossing, his hand reached up to his cheek. His fingers grazed over the bandage covering his bruise. Earlier, Haewon had seemed quite worried about it, which he had to admit, gave him a tiny glimmer of hope. If he'd confessed his feelings back there, how would the girl react?

Myungsoo didn't want things to get awkward between them if he were to tell her about how he felt, but he didn't want his feelings to go unnoticed by her either. Exactly, what was he supposed to do in a situation like this? Imagining the outcomes in his mind already made him fearful. 

Just then, a voice that could now only be heard by him called his name. Myungsoo's grip tightened on the straps of his backpack as he debated with his conscience on whether it would be a good idea to turn around or not. When he did turn around though, he was met face-to-face with Ji Haewon. He stared at her with wide eyes while she gave him a determined look.

"O-Oh, Haewon. I was just heading home, what are you doing here?" Myungsoo tried to force a smile; something he'd been doing many times recently.

"Myungsoo," Haewon suddenly held his hand, "is it true that you like me? Jungkook told me about it."

Indeed, Jeon Jungkook was a boy who wasn't able to keep his mouth shut. How the boy even knew he had feelings for Haewon surprised him, though anybody could tell his actions towards her were a bit more than what a friend should've been doing. Myungsoo knew he should've felt angry at him for telling Haewon, but for some reason he felt somewhat thankful to Jungkook. If he hadn't told her, then Myungsoo probably would've never got to confessing to her and the memory of him liking her would just be another fantasy.

There was no use it hiding it anymore. Myungsoo let out a soft sigh. "Yeah, it's true. I like you, Ji Haewon. Even now, I still do. I'll get my feelings cleared up, so don't avoid me or anything, alright? Because I don't want that type of relationship with you, I don't want to be strangers."

"Look, Myungsoo." Haewon tightened her hold around his hand. "I know you want to tell me a lot of things, right now. I'll listen to you, and we can go somewhere quiet to do that. Some people are already staring at you, you know," Haewon chuckled. "Did you forget about what I am for a slight second? Come on, I know a place where we can talk."

Myungsoo looked around to find some people around him shooting him concerned looks before he nodded slightly and let Haewon lead him to wherever she wanted to talk.

 

 

The two of them sat on a concrete staircase situated in a quiet neighbourhood. It was already dark by the time they settled down on one of the steps, so the streetlamp above them had already lighted up. The buzzing of insects hovering around the lamp, the chirping of crickets and the distant sound of traffic in Seoul were the noises that accompanied them on this peaceful night. 

Myungsoo and Haewon sat cross-legged next to each other. He was waiting for her to say something and at the same time he was convinced in his false hope. The fact that she had left Jungkook for him was because she was worried. It was nice to have someone worry for him since the topic of concern used to always be about her and Jungkook. It was leading Myungsoo to believe that maybe Haewon did harbour some affection towards him, maybe she'd chosen that one percent possibility to like him.

"When did you start liking me, Kim Myungsoo?" Haewon started off, resting her chin on her palm.

"Ever since I joined this school. I always saw you standing at the rooftop whenever I had running practice, so I guessed you manage to grab my attention. To me back then, you were a mysterious beauty. I wanted to know more about you, but I couldn't because no one knew anything about you when I asked. Then I approached my junior year, the year that Seungcheol died." Myungsoo played with his fingers. "I could see Seungcheol's ghost then, and he told about you. About how you were a ghost. But despite that, I still liked you."

"Wow, so you've been interested in me for three years, huh?" Haewon smiled at him when he nodded in response. "I'm thankful for that, I really am. You're a close friend of mine, Myungsoo. You're important to me Myungsoo-ah, so important. I wouldn't trade you in for another person for the world. The things you did for me, they'll always stay in my mind as a good memory."

Myungsoo felt his heart starting to beat faster. "You, really thought that?"

"Of course, I did. I'm always sincere when I talk about close friends." Haewon chirped, but soon her eyes were downcast. "But..."

Myungsoo knew he had to prepare his heart which was going to shatter in to unfixable pieces soon. So it looked like she hadn't chosen that one percent possibility, he was stupid for thinking about it in the first place. He took a deep breath as he waited for what Haewon was about to say to him. 

"I can't accept your feelings, Myungsoo. You already know why... so I don't want to repeat it again, I don't want to hurt you. I wished that I didn't have to tell you this because I know I'll hate myself sooner or later. During the time of us being friends, I didn't help you much. I'm sorry Myungsoo... The only thing I can give you is this." Haewon scooted closer

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter